Dealer messed up, what to expect on the next visit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KevinB1974

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Laramie
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
Was letting the wife in the passenger side one day, noticed that the area next to the door handle (where the key hole would be if the passenger side had one) had some paint chips. Truck only has 10k miles, called the dealer, says it's covered under warranty, no problem (after filling out a survey with a poor rating to get them to return several voice mails and e-mails regarding the issue, they say they were "waiting for approval")

Take it in on a Saturday, couple hours later, parts on, looks good, out the door I go.

This is where I messed up.

A couple weeks later, lets say 2, again, letting the wife into the passenger side after dinner, get to the door, reach for the handle and nothing, doesn't unlock! Ok, well, maybe the fob is messed up, maybe I messed up, I press the unlock on the fob, let her in, drive away. Get home, assist her getting out, shut the door and press the lock button on the handle, nothing! So, I left the dealer without checking the functionality of each and every option prior to leaving, over one small 3" by 1" (roughly) piece!

I guess my question is, what would have caused this, what all should I check the next time I pick it up because I am taking it back on the 20th, and should I seek some sort of compensation for the screw up, other than having to drive another hour to and from to have it repaired (I hope for free), again?!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I would not expect any compensation to be paid. However, they should diagnose and repair the door lock mechanism if it is not working properly.

Before doing so, if you have a second fob, try it. Unlock the door, open it, close it and try locking the door with the button.

Your other fob may simply need a new battery.

OP
OP
KevinB1974

KevinB1974

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Laramie
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
Wasn't expecting money, per say, maybe a tank of gas, free detail job, something??

Tried the second fob, nothing still. Both work perfect on the drivers side, and I'm positive it's worked on the passenger side before the repair.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
They probably forgot to connect the cable back to the handle when they were working on it.

As far as compensation .... Those days are long long gone. That went away about the time the gas station attendant stopped washing your windshield when he was pumping your gas.

OP
OP
KevinB1974

KevinB1974

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Laramie
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
Update: Drove an hour for them to tell me the part that was ordered wasn’t complete, and that piece of the door handle needs a magnet and pin in order to work properly. Therefore, I have to go back again in a couple days to have it looked at.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Maybe time to try a different dealer if possible.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What dealer are you going to that's an hour away?
Haven't tried one closer?

A wash is probably the most I would expect.

OP
OP
KevinB1974

KevinB1974

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Laramie
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
The "new" service manager contacted me to offer me compensation in the form of a tank of gas. She apologized profusely and stated this issue will be resolved. We shall see.

OP
OP
KevinB1974

KevinB1974

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Laramie
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
What dealer are you going to that's an hour away?
Haven't tried one closer?

A wash is probably the most I would expect.
Unfortunately, SW Pennsylvania doesn't have many Ram dealerships. Only 1 is less than an hour, and I had a terrible experience. I went there to test drive/buy a black night edition, and we could not get the time of day, let alone a test drive. Had an appointment for the test drive, waited over an hour before someone finally told us the person we had an appointment with wasn't even working that day. They said the issue was that I set up and appointment with the online team who didn't have actual knowledge of the dealership.

I went with the one that was an hour away due to them not only having exactly what I wanted, but I dealt with the same dealership group in buying a Ford Taurus and had a very positive experience. Also, when calling to see what hoops I had to jump through to get the advertised sale price, the salesman said "You can have it at that price, come get it". Didn't make me prove memberships to organizations, proof of where I work for certain discounts, know the Masonic Lodge secret handshake, just come get it for that price.

Needless to say, this dealership does not meet the standards that the Ford one does.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
so you started out with paint chips

either the dealerships body shop or a shop under contract with the dealership, fixed the paint chips.
Fixing the chips meant disassembly of the door panel & removing the door handle.
So which ever shop repaired the paint, left some of your parts on their bench

how many people get an oil change & leave the dealership without checking their oil level

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unfortunately, SW Pennsylvania doesn't have many Ram dealerships. Only 1 is less than an hour, and I had a terrible experience. I went there to test drive/buy a black night edition, and we could not get the time of day, let alone a test drive. Had an appointment for the test drive, waited over an hour before someone finally told us the person we had an appointment with wasn't even working that day. They said the issue was that I set up and appointment with the online team who didn't have actual knowledge of the dealership.

I went with the one that was an hour away due to them not only having exactly what I wanted, but I dealt with the same dealership group in buying a Ford Taurus and had a very positive experience. Also, when calling to see what hoops I had to jump through to get the advertised sale price, the salesman said "You can have it at that price, come get it". Didn't make me prove memberships to organizations, proof of where I work for certain discounts, know the Masonic Lodge secret handshake, just come get it for that price.

Needless to say, this dealership does not meet the standards that the Ford one does.
I live in the Pittsburgh area, that's why I was asking. There are several in the area - about a dozen in a 1 hr. radius from the city.

If it is Cochran, definitely DO NOT go through the online team. Much better experience if you deal directly with them.

OP
OP
KevinB1974

KevinB1974

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Laramie
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
I live in the Pittsburgh area, that's why I was asking. There are several in the area - about a dozen in a 1 hr. radius from the city.

If it is Cochran, definitely DO NOT go through the online team. Much better experience if you deal directly with them.
No, Solomon in Carmichaels.

OP
OP
KevinB1974

KevinB1974

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Laramie
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
so you started out with paint chips

either the dealerships body shop or a shop under contract with the dealership, fixed the paint chips.
Fixing the chips meant disassembly of the door panel & removing the door handle.
So which ever shop repaired the paint, left some of your parts on their bench

how many people get an oil change & leave the dealership without checking their oil level
Yep. Dealer ordered the part, allegedly painted and replaced the part, door stopped working.

Ron Boggio

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Update: Drove an hour for them to tell me the part that was ordered wasn’t complete, and that piece of the door handle needs a magnet and pin in order to work properly. Therefore, I have to go back again in a couple days to have it looked at.
OMG you have got to be kidding me! OMG I am going to go on a rant about "Customer Service". IF you can, find another dealer. I refuse to rant I refuse to rant I refuse to rant.