Dealer Oil Change Cost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MJockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I’m taking the PW to the dealer for an oil and filter change tomorrow. What should I expect it to cost? I usually do it myself but I don’t have time before leaving on a road trip Friday.

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
$58.00can at my local dealer. No fuss, no muss, no used oil to get rid off.

jouart

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
$58 out the door full synthetic Pennzoil at my dealer.

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
$98 here in good old new jersey. Dont go to the dealer for a change anymore

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
$60.45 here for the Ram dealership oil filter and motor oil on my last self service oil change. Oil filter was $7.95. Oil was $7.50 per quart for the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40. The cheapest 55 gallon drum of this motor oil on Amazon sells for $2,429 which works out to $11.04 per quart.

When I brought my Power Wagon in last year for some recalls the Service Manager attempted to persuade me in having my oil changed as well as other services. Although I do my own oil changes, out of curiosity I asked him if they use the Pennzoil Ultra 0W-40. Instead of answering with a "Yes" or "No", he stated something about Pennzoil being a decent oil, but then there are other motor oils which are just as decent. I declined his offer.

KIMG0562.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
MJockey

MJockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Are you implying your dealer might not be using the recommended oil for in house oil changes? That’s scary.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah it sucks. We have to do as they say but they can do whatever they want.

OTOH I don't want them touching my truck anyway. Keep good records of what you bought and when you changed the oil is all I can say.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have no idea on the cost, never took the truck to the dealer for an oil change before. I have always done it myself. I know it costs me $100 a pop just in parts though!

OP
OP
MJockey

MJockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Well this will be the last time I get it changed at the dealer then. No wonder some people have had lifters fail.

Bock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Ask what oil they use, and ask them to grease the front u-joint. I like my local dealer, but they do not use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40, they use a cheaper oil. I do my own oil changes.

OP
OP
MJockey

MJockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I was a little concerned that the oil filter part # was not the same as Grand Mesa's so I crawled under to see. Filter 4892339AA is what was installed.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Mjockey's receipt states that a 4884899AC oil filter was installed as the replacement. It's for the 6.4L Dodge car engines and other lighter duty engines.

The 4892339AA is the correct oil filter which is recommended for the Heavy Duty 6.4L.

Last edited:

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I’ve always done my own oil changes, and initially tried to use FCA’s pet Penzoil. When auto parts stores stopped carrying it, I had to start buying it from the dealer. The last time I went looking for oil at the dealership they didn’t have it in stock, so I came back two days later when they said they’d have it, still no oil. I asked if the lube/service shop had the right oil, even in bulk (thinking I’d just let them change it if I had to). NOPE! Not a single dealer in the state of Alaska had the required motor oil for the 6.4L truck Hemi.

I walked right out, ordered what I needed on Amsoil’s website and picked up my order later that afternoon. Doesn’t carry the Mopar seal of approval, but it must not be that important if the dealers don’t even keep the “right” oil in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I would say ~$55 is about average cost for a basic oil/filter change for a Ram at a Ram dealer. Like said, what bulk oil brand they use is going to vary. What scares me about dealer oil changes is, even at $60, they're a money looser so they do them quick and dirty. IMO, you're better off having a dealer "Quick Lane" do it where at least you can see your truck and this is mainly what they do.

Regardless, the only one who does my OCs is me. Been that way for 35yrs.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
I’ve always done my own oil changes, and initially tried to use FCA’s pet Penzoil. When auto parts stores stopped carrying it, I had to start buying it from the dealer. The last time I went looking for oil at the dealership they didn’t have it in stock, so I came back two days later when they said they’d have it, still no oil. I asked if the lube/service shop had the right oil, even in bulk (thinking I’d just let them change it if I had to). NOPE! Not a single dealer in the state of Alaska had the required motor oil for the 6.4L truck Hemi.

I walked right out, ordered what I needed on Amsoil’s website and picked up my order later that afternoon. Doesn’t carry the Mopar seal of approval, but it must not be that important if the dealers don’t even keep the “right” oil in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Amsoil 0W-40 meets the MS-12633 requirements which therefore should meet the Mopar seal of approval.

https://www.amsoil.com/newsstand/articles/premium-protection-for-high-horsepower/

Last edited: