Dealer Oil Change Cost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
So besides amsoil what else do you guys run? I have one more "free" oil change but now thinking of doing it myself

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
The Mopar 6.4L MS-12633 requirement is met by Amsoil, Ravenol, and Pennzoil.

https://www.ravenol.de/en/products/usage/d/Product/show/p/ravenol-ssl-sae-0w-40.html

I take the right motor oil seriously due to when oil companies reduced the ZDDP for my high performance 1978 boat V8 the Pennzoil Marine 30W still was being sold which kept with at least a later SJ gasoline engine higher ZDDP protection required for my flat tappet high performance camshaft. ZDDP was determined by the EPA to be detrimental to catalytic converters. Still have a couple of gallons of the higher ZDDP oil after they had stopped manufacturing it about 5 or more years ago. Going to run the Valvoline VR1 30W Racing Oil in it after that due to it meets this wear protection requirement. Still going strong after 40 years in it easily hitting 55 MPH on the high altitude lakes here. Seriously, don't like what I have read as to camshaft failure with this oil additive being reduced or not even being there when its engine design had required it.

I use the same logic with the Mopar 6.4L MS-12633 oil requirements.

Last edited:

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Not sure if it had been certified or not when I made the switch, but it wouldn’t have mattered.

On Amsoil the truck runs noticeably quieter. Started it up after the first oil change and I could hear the engine quieting down as the Amsoil got pumped through it. I wouldn’t be using PUP if FCA was giving it out for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
MJockey

MJockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I also use Amsoil when I change it myself. What filter do you guys use, Factory, WIX, or Amsoil?

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I also use Amsoil when I change it myself. What filter do you guys use, Factory, WIX, or Amsoil?

I have used wix and amsoil. I think I would prefer the amsoil one, although not sure why lol.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
$60.45 here for the Ram dealership oil filter and motor oil on my last self service oil change. Oil filter was $7.95. Oil was $7.50 per quart for the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40. The cheapest 55 gallon drum of this motor oil on Amazon sells for $2,429 which works out to $11.04 per quart.

When I brought my Power Wagon in last year for some recalls the Service Manager attempted to persuade me in having my oil changed as well as other services. Although I do my own oil changes, out of curiosity I asked him if they use the Pennzoil Ultra 0W-40. Instead of answering with a "Yes" or "No", he stated something about Pennzoil being a decent oil, but then there are other motor oils which are just as decent. I declined his offer.
When the second oil change was due, My local express lane ram dealer service writer said they would use the recommended 5w20 at 40 bucks, for my 6.4 . When I questioned him, he said oh that's right, the diesel oil change runs about $120 Asked about PUP 0w40 didn't know what i was talking about. Had some warranty repairs done later, and supplied my own PUP and filter, 100 miles down the road the filter was loose and leaking.

Last edited:

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
When the second oil change was due, My local express lane ram dealer service writer said they would use the recommended 5w20 at 40 bucks, for my 6.4 . When I questioned him, he said oh that's right, the diesel oil change runs about $120 Asked about PUP 0w40 didn't know what i was talking about. Had some warranty repairs done later, and supplied my own PUP and filter, 100 miles down the road the filter was loose and leaking.
Wow. I wouldn't be surprised that they had charged you again for bringing in your own oil filter and oil.

Last edited:

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Express lane? Lol we have these in jersey. Ive driven in and out twice before. 3 hr wait both times for an oil change. I just laugh and go to the mobil 1 lube express. One very close to my house takes pride in there work and they let you stand in the bay and watch the change.

Fnjoey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
$98 here in good old new jersey. Dont go to the dealer for a change anymore
I stopped going to the dealer a long time ago with my other cars.. NJ prices are insane... i take it to a local shop and pay a fraction.. now if they would just remember what oil they put in it the last time i would be great.. every time they ask me....

William Hastings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you guys checking your dealers website? Both closest dealers to me have coupons listed in the service area of the website. Funny cause the dealer i bought the truck from wants double of the other one, and that is there coupon price. Total ********. I used the oil change coupon and they had a 10% off total service coupon, got oil change and inspection done for total $133. I was pretty happy with that. They did recalls as well, took 2 hrs tho. If you have multiple dealers shop around!

William Hastings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Last i looked it was 120 for synthetic plus 10 per additional qt. They went down some. I believe the 10% coupon is a mopar coupon that can be used at any dealer?20190208_083333.jpg Screenshot_20190218-085734_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20190213-145738_Chrome.jpg

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I buy a package of 4 at a time, comes out to 67 a change, gotta use 4 in a year

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I buy a package of 4 at a time, comes out to 67 a change, gotta use 4 in a year

4?! Jeezuz, put the miles on much?! I change mine once a year, and its still barely due.

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Nope. My pw has 16k on it I bought it Nov 2017. I got 4 free when I bought it and haven't used them all. They keep trying to sell me oil changes. I get to use the last one Wednesday when it goes for its recalls....I'll let the dealer change it, if it breaks not my problem...wrong oil not my problem...just the liability and ass pain of showing them I changed the oil. I'm terrible at receipts

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
Do we know it they use 0w40 PUP? My small town dealer didn't even know what it was and that it is even required. I have never seen a 6.4 on their lot or with a dealer sticker or plate frame. They sell 2500 diesels only.

mboymopar

MOPAR
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Sport
Engine
345 HEMI
Full synthetic 5W/20 was 85.00 and that includes the
Whatever inspection covers, and fluid top offs.