Dealer Oil Change Cost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

holtff1074

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I prefer doing my own as I find it more cost effective and peace of mind over what may be used by the dealer.Mine had just under 5k on it when I changed it and outside of the difficulty removing the filter it wasn't bad. I have however attached a spent grinding wrap that fits the filter to aid if needed when I change again. My cost when I took my 07 couple years ago was about $75.Not even sure they used syn oil!

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I asked my dealer today, they said they use Mobil 1....I'll verify on Wednesday

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Here is what they do for me

View attachment 155944
If they can't get your 2017 Ram Truck Power Wagon listed correctly within their database, I would lack confidence about what parts/fluid that are stated, other than those for a 2017 Ram Truck Promaster.

Drove right by this dealership several times yesterday and continued on.

Last edited:

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
They put the correct weight and filter on. Could careless its listed as a promaster. They always take care of what is needed. Maybe not the most timely but they have done a good job to include replacing my transmission at 5k due to defect.

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
owners manual says 5w20--that's the truck bible-don't listen to others. My truck still purrs at 7yrs old. I do it myself with Penzoil Platinum and mobil 1 all synthetic always. WIX filter are good to when I can get them. Everything on sale still costs $80+ in Canada-but if its too cold out my great mechanic will do it for $20 with my supplies at the end of his busy day. Cant beat that in my opinion.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
owners manual says 5w20--that's the truck bible-don't listen to others. My truck still purrs at 7yrs old. I do it myself with Penzoil Platinum and mobil 1 all synthetic always. WIX filter are good to when I can get them. Everything on sale still costs $80+ in Canada-but if its too cold out my great mechanic will do it for $20 with my supplies at the end of his busy day. Cant beat that in my opinion.

5w20? This is the 6.4 thread....

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
They put the correct weight and filter on. Could careless its listed as a promaster. They always take care of what is needed. Maybe not the most timely but they have done a good job to include replacing my transmission at 5k due to defect.
Good information to know if I ever need some Ram truck dealership repairs within the big city.

Just got back home from some winter camping over the holiday weekend near Cheyenne Mountain across from Fort Carson. Surprised that even with the single digit Fahrenheit temperatures (negative teens wind chill) the campground was actually occupied. I believe that when I left this morning that all of my three larger RV neighbors from Texas and Oklahoma were stuck in Colorado due to the campground's steep ice/snow covered grade.
KIMG0562.jpg

Last edited:

William Hastings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will own up, my bad didn't see that. At the very least you get a feel for how some dealerships **** you and some are decent

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I honestly kinda figured most dealerships are charging the same amount. Every RAM dealer Ive been to has the same exact cardboard display type thing sitting on the service department counter, with the "2 or 4 pack" "good, better, best" oil package description and cost. And the prices are exactly the same across the dealers Ive been to.

Not that I want any of them to actually do it, but it is there.

I got a 4 pack of "gold" level oil changes last year for my troubles (the "normal characteristic" vibration). IIRC at the time my dealer had the same exact 4 pack for 210.00. Semi-synth oil change + tire rotation. Contract is good for 2 years (even shows up on my Mopar owner dashboard).

slacadjuster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I’m taking the PW to the dealer for an oil and filter change tomorrow. What should I expect it to cost? I usually do it myself but I don’t have time before leaving on a road trip Friday.

Wow really??? How the he*l are guys on a forum supposed to know this. Every dealer is different.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
FYI for DIY oil changes the Napa Auto Parts website has a special this month on Pennzoil Ultra 0W-40 @ $5.99 per quart. Was $11.49.

I attempted to order 7 for my 6.4L PW with an in store pickup at my nearest Napa located in Collbran, Colorado with no success. It may not be available out here at my local Napa, but then neither are lots of other stuff in a remote location.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Son just paid $130 for an oil change at a Jiffy Lube type place in North Dakota. Full synthetic. They really are ****** people up there. He also just got 4 now K02's and an alignment for $1977. They charged $220 labor to change the tires.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Son just paid $130 for an oil change at a Jiffy Lube type place in North Dakota. Full synthetic. They really are ****** people up there. He also just got 4 now K02's and an alignment for $1977. They charged $220 labor to change the tires.

I spend $100 on just parts/material to change the oil myself. $130 doesn't seem too overly high to me, but Ive never paid to have it done though.