Dealer says 5 years/75k miles for 8 speed fluid swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
QwikKota

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
My truck with a hemi list parts origins and germany is one. The 8 speed in the V6 is made here under license. The 8 speed in the hemi is made in germany beside the mercedes, audis etc.

Well mine is a 2015 Hemi 8 speed and the window sticker says Transmission: United States. Very odd that a newer truck would be Germany when they have a factory here. My build sheet says 8HP70 Trans (Buy-US)

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I freely admit that I am OCD. I also believe that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If the people that built the transmission recommend servicing it at 60k then that is what I am going to do. Some may call it wasting money---I call it peace of mind!
Jay

I’m ocd enough too and yeah, if you’re definitely not under any kind of long term extended warranty, I think it’d be in your best interest to waive the middle finger at that “lifetime fill” talk and take the manufacturer’s advice of the transmission and service it when they say to.

Me; I’m covered through Maxcare MVP clear up to the year 2101 so if it craps put a tranny at 120k, I’ll give ‘em a hundred bucks for a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I just looked at Zeigler to get a Maximum Care quote, for 8 years/125K miles they want $3.1K with $200 deductible, $3.3K for $100 deductible. So say I don't buy it, then need a tranny at 100K-125K, I already have that $3.3K in the bank (or invested), and I've heard you can get a low miles salvaged 845RE for $2K, new one for ~$3K, plus whatever installation is. Have to imagine just changing one out isn't that labor intensive for a shop.

As far as ZF saying change fluids at 60K for their trannys, but FCA claiming lifetime fluid for their versions, there are some differences in the FCA version, including a larger fluid capacity:

Differences between the (ZF) 8HP45 and (FCA) 845RE include, according to oh2o, the clutches (845RE has extra friction plates) and, for some vehicles, a higher capacity oil pan. Many internal parts do not interchange.

https://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/ZF8.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
QwikKota

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I just looked at Zeigler get a Maximum Care quote, for 8 years/125K miles they want $3.1K with $200 deductible, $3.3K for $100 deductible. So say I don't buy it, then need a tranny at 100K-125K, I already have that $3.3K in the bank (or invested), and I've heard you can get a low miles salvaged 845RE for $2K, new one for ~$3K, plus whatever installation is. Have to imagine just changing one out isn't that labor intensive for a shop.

As far as ZF saying change fluids at 60K for their trannys, but FCA claiming lifetime fluid for their versions, there are some differences in the FCA version, including a larger fluid capacity:

Differences between the (ZF) 8HP45 and (FCA) 845RE include, according to oh2o, the clutches (845RE has extra friction plates) and, for some vehicles, a higher capacity oil pan. Many internal parts do not interchange.

https://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/ZF8.html

I agree that now with the best warranty you can get only being good for 7 or 8 years it's not really worth it. That extra fluid capacity is not going to make a tranny go from 60k mile service to lifetime.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I agree that now with the best warranty you can get only being good for 7 or 8 years it's not really worth it. That extra fluid capacity is not going to make a tranny go from 60k mile service to lifetime.

I'd think it would help having larger fluid capacity to handle temp changes and internal debris. Since there's no combustion inside the tranny, probably the worst thing besides heat, heavy towing, and a heavy-footed driver is contamination, which is eliminated by sealing the entire unit (no dipstick tube to break, leak, and allow contamination, as it did on my old Ford), except for, I believe, a vent in the engine compartment. Read a post elsewhere where the owner decided to change his 845RE fluid at 125K miles (no symptoms), and the old fluid looked and smelled fine.

In any case, I'm probably going to not worry about it unless any symptoms arise, but keep an eye on it for leaks, then around 100K miles maybe begin considering a fluid/pan change.

OP
OP
QwikKota

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I'd think it would help having larger fluid capacity to handle temp changes and internal debris. Since there's no combustion inside the tranny, probably the worst thing besides heat, heavy towing, and a heavy-footed driver is contamination, which is eliminated by sealing the entire unit (no dipstick tube to break, leak, and allow contamination, as it did on my old Ford), except for, I believe, a vent in the engine compartment. Read a post elsewhere where the owner decided to change his 845RE fluid at 125K miles (no symptoms), and the old fluid looked and smelled fine.

In any case, I'm probably going to not worry about it unless any symptoms arise, but keep an eye on it for leaks, then around 100K miles maybe begin considering a fluid/pan change.

Yes it would help. Theoretically however many more quarts of fluid as a percentage of the comparison transmission x the ZF recommended 60k/75k service interval but not a lifetime. 100k is probably good and on target for expiration of factory powertrain warranty. Better than risking it for 15 years or what have you. I'm only over thinking this because I want the truck in our family for a long time so I don't have to buy a car for my son. My wife has a 2010 4Runner that has never been in the shop and that is also the goal with that vehicle. Kids are only 6 and 8 though, hah.

jack67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
stock pan has the filter built in... seems to me a dealer scam to make more $$$

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
stock pan has the filter built in... seems to me a dealer scam to make more $$$

Chances are it's a way to reduce weight and overall size, even if only by a couple ounces. Remember that this transmission also goes into Aston Martins, BMW's, Jaguars, Maseratis and the new Supra.

BrunoCA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will speak for here in Canada I have 94000km on my 14 ram crew cab 5.7 so before the heavy winter starts I like to get all my fluids replaced !! So I call the dealership the other day to ask for the transmission pan 350$ and SIR if you do that you will contaminate the transmission and you will need replacement!! We DO NOT recommend that!!! It life time fill !! BS.., so I asked what is a lifetime??? Cause for me it’s 75 year!!! No answer!! I call another dealership 235$ for the pan and from 45$ a litter for tranny oil 8&9 speed 37$ a litter!! The mopar and ZF fluid are the same color!! I would go for be actual ZF oil but good luck to find it here in Canada !!at 94k I’m sure I don’t need it as I’m not hauling anything !! But I do drive at highway a lot !!! Actually the 90000km are all highway!!! Now the main reason is I had to replace my 3 way coolant valve as I was noticing that my transmission temp was going in the 90-100c in the past 3-4 months so soon I noticed I start the research !!! Apparently the dealership couldn’t figured out so thermostat was replaced battery sensor was replaced on that trip 700$ later!! So o said enough and start doing my research !! Fair enough 2 day later with the truck not moving from the garage I found a major reason for the transmission temp is the 3 way coolant valve easy to install just add some antifreeze after you done!!!200$!! So after that I was thinking to change the fluid and as well the filter that is in the pan!! While no my transmission temp is between 80-87c in traffic and 78-84c on highway!! I guess prevented maintenance is not a bad thing!?

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
I will speak for here in Canada I have 94000km on my 14 ram crew cab 5.7 so before the heavy winter starts I like to get all my fluids replaced !! So I call the dealership the other day to ask for the transmission pan 350$ and SIR if you do that you will contaminate the transmission and you will need replacement!! We DO NOT recommend that!!! It life time fill !! BS.., so I asked what is a lifetime??? Cause for me it’s 75 year!!! No answer!! I call another dealership 235$ for the pan and from 45$ a litter for tranny oil 8&9 speed 37$ a litter!! The mopar and ZF fluid are the same color!! I would go for be actual ZF oil but good luck to find it here in Canada !!at 94k I’m sure I don’t need it as I’m not hauling anything !! But I do drive at highway a lot !!! Actually the 90000km are all highway!!! Now the main reason is I had to replace my 3 way coolant valve as I was noticing that my transmission temp was going in the 90-100c in the past 3-4 months so soon I noticed I start the research !!! Apparently the dealership couldn’t figured out so thermostat was replaced battery sensor was replaced on that trip 700$ later!! So o said enough and start doing my research !! Fair enough 2 day later with the truck not moving from the garage I found a major reason for the transmission temp is the 3 way coolant valve easy to install just add some antifreeze after you done!!!200$!! So after that I was thinking to change the fluid and as well the filter that is in the pan!! While no my transmission temp is between 80-87c in traffic and 78-84c on highway!! I guess prevented maintenance is not a bad thing!?

redline d6 is compatable. much more affordable. i serviced my trans with it and an atp pan (comes with replaceable filter). purchased d6 from nick@gotexhaust a vendor on here. bought atp pan off rockauto for around 115 us. pan drop and refill was around 4 quarts. not hard. just tedious. and expect atleast one good exhaust burn on the arm checking fluid.