Dealer says I need a new transmission, what happened?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Actually, I've been told by the transmission tech. at my dealership that other than a valvebody and some seals, 8HPs are not dealership rebuilt. For anything else besides the aforementioned components, they get a factory new or rebuilt.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 74263 miles

Yeah, for sure on that. For the most part, dealers haven't rebuilt anything in decades. It's replace the whole unit or nothing. Even something as simple as a broken wire, they'll replace a harness instead of repair the broken wire (for the most part).

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yeah, for sure on that. For the most part, dealers haven't rebuilt anything in decades. It's replace the whole unit or nothing. Even something as simple as a broken wire, they'll replace a harness instead of repair the broken wire (for the most part).
Why not, it's YOUR money, not theirs.:rolleyes:
Unless you're lucky enough to get it under warranty

Scott0700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Trans went on my 15 2500 Cummins at 58,000 miles 6 months out of warranty. Warranty was five years/100k. The truck never plowed or towed more than 3k.
Dealer said “We’ve seen this failure a lot, that will be $6,300”. Got it fixed, sold it, and am now on my third F350 since then.
Liked the Ram better. After 9 Ram 2500s they would do nothing to help me with the cost of the repair, so I took my money. elsewhere. Spent over $200k on Fords so far. I’m sure no one at Ram cares, but there certainly was a lot more profit in those three trucks than what they charged me for a new trans.

Ron Boggio

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
I'm thinking they want to go that route because they'll have less hours, resources and cost into it by just swapping the whole unit.

Very odd and rare to have such a new and low mileage 8HP70 have issues.

What was the vehicle's history (carfax)? Was it an ex-rental or lease return?
This is closer to the truth then you may imagine. The labor and cost to fix vs component cost and labor to replace variable is always in play under warranty. A simple example to visualize. Consider the Constant Velocity Boot (CV Boot) e.g. the boot ripped. The labor to replace the boot under warranty is greater then the cost to replace the CV Axel entirely. Whichever party is paying for the repair, they always want to take the most cost effective option available. Its strange to conceptualize, with labor rates hitting $200 hr. in some cases, the cost to replace out weighs the cost to repair. Just recently a friend experienced a front u-joint failure in his Silverado. For the dealer "under-warranty" it was more cost efficient to replace the drive shaft vs the u-joint. Completely antithetical to most peoples understanding. However reality is sometimes stranger then fiction.

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, this is more of a a s**T sucks post but anyway. Truck(2018 1500 5.7 8HP70 44) I’ve felt it surge a couple times to 3-4 or 4-5 when it was cold leaving my housing area in the morning and once I leave it and get on the main road it acts fine the rest of the day. The other day my wife drove it up the hill and it surges shuttered and threw the p0733 for 3rd gear ration incorrect or something… so I call and scheduled a inspection. Few days later maintenance tech reports I need a new transmission and the shop foreman will validate it before they send it to the warranty company who might send another tech to validate it. Seems a bit over the top but whatever. My main question is what happened? It didn’t drive on the way to the dealer like it needed a new trans. I figured it would have needed some more fluid or maybe some software glitch not engaging the gears right but damn… anyone with experience with this how did your process go and what the heck broke…?

I had a similar problem with my 2017 Longhorn ... I was driving along in town doing about 30 mph when a sudden shutter occurred ... When I stopped for a traffic light and the started up again my transmission was stuck in 3'rd gear and when I got home I found I had no reverse ... The next day I limped to the dealer and when they assessed the problem it turned out to be the valve body needed replacing ... The service rep stated there was a run of valve bodies that had shavings in them that caused the problem ... Worked fine after the new valve body was replaced and they even had me back in a few weeks later to double check and make sure the new part serial number was not part of the bad batch .. I guess the mechanic failed to record the number during the replacement ... all covered under warranty ...

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a 2000 Ram bought new. At 10,000 miles I changed the atf and filter with valvoline. At 12,000 miles I was in Maryland (I live in Illinois) and the trans quit with no warning. The local dealer, Tate Dodge, replaced it without question.
The problem was it took three weeks to get a reman trans. So I paid for 3 of us to fly home, then I flew back when the truck was fixed. Cost me $1,200 dollars.
I complained to Chrysler that they should pay and they said no. They said they honored the warranty by fixing the truck and had it quit in my driveway there would be no question. I finally agreed they were correct, and the whole conversation was professional on both sides… no screaming or threatening. Four days later I got a check from Chrysler for $600…half of my expenses. I’ve been a Chrysler customer ever since: Rams, Grand Cherokees, Chrysler 300s and have had zero issues since. BTW, that reman trans lasted 125,000 miles with me and another 50,000 with my son-in-law.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963