Dealer Service - Spark Plugs $850

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have never seen a spark plug last to 100k miles..... but... new technology and such.... I change mine at 60,000 miles. Not rediculously hard to do....... and not worth even 200.00 for the dealer to do!

Don’t know about Hemi plugs but both of my daughters have Asian cars with iridium plugs. Felt like I was wasting $60 replacing them at 100K. The old plugs looked about as good as the new ones with minimal soot and still a perfect gap. A far cry from the old fashioned plugs of my younger days.

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I will do mine at around 80K miles. Not because the plugs will be really bad, but because I am concerned that I won't be able to get them out of the head at 100K.

Either way, I will only ever do them once or twice, so doing it a bit early seems right to me.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Even the trans service is not that bad, it just has to be done a certain way.

Plenty of threads on this forum about it.

I did it, and it wasn't cheap, but saved a bunch.

A necessary evil.

BTW, ZF recommends a fluid/filter change at 60 - 80k miles I believe, sooner if hard use.

I couldn’t agree more. The trans fluid change on the 8 speed isn’t rocket science and not as difficult as it’s made out to be. Getting the transmission level is a PITA but back it up on a ramp or on an inclined driveway is easier than jacking the rear end up especially if you have big ole tires. The instructions wildone has posted in many threads is spot on and easy to follow. It’s time consuming for sure because of the temperature restrictions and having to take the vehicle for a spin and recheck the fluid level but it’s not a $1000 procedure at dealer prices.

I called ZF myself and spoke with an engineer in the R&D department for about 30 minutes. He confirmed that while ZF only recommends their fluid all Lifeguard 8 fluid is the same whether it says Audi/BMW or Mopar on the label. I personally purchased Audi branded fluid on eBay at 9 one liter bottles for $160 and the aftermarket pans for $50 on Amazon are identical to the factory pans without the Mopar part number embossed on them. My next door neighbor has a 2107 and he purchased a BMW 8 speed “kit” with new pan and BMW branded fluid for $250 and it worked like a charm.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Don’t know about Hemi plugs but both of my daughters have Asian cars with iridium plugs. Felt like I was wasting $60 replacing them at 100K. The old plugs looked about as good as the new ones with minimal soot and still a perfect gap. A far cry from the old fashioned plugs of my younger days.

Same for my hemi's plugs at 106k miles, minimal soot and excellent gap still.

Last edited:

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I will do mine at around 80K miles. Not because the plugs will be really bad, but because I am concerned that I won't be able to get them out of the head at 100K.

Either way, I will only ever do them once or twice, so doing it a bit early seems right to me.

Does the salts and such really affect being able to remove the plugs on your vehicles in the north?

I don't mean to sound naive, just never really gave it much thought. I knew undercarriage and suspension stuff could be really mucked up from the salts.

I guess here in FL, if you live around the coasts you could have some issues, but would think they would be minor compared to what you all have to deal with.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For some reason, the prices for tune ups on the hemi are all over the place. I’ve heard everything from $500-$900. It is recommended to do at 100k, and if they haven’t been done before, definitely something I’d do. If you do a search, you can probably find some of the posts that show the condition of their plugs pulled out at 100k, not pretty.

Anyway, I’d call some other dealers in the area. My dad had this quoted on his hemi over the last couple of weeks, and one of the local dealers said between $500-$600 which seems much more reasonable.
I was doing some other stuff at around 85k so figured I would change out my plugs while I was at it. At 85k, my plugs looked fantastic, and gaps were still correct. I had already bought new ones, so I swapped them anyway, but definitely didnt need it.

As for how difficult, it definitely is not an $800 job. It took me about 2 hours, and I always take my time and work slowly so as not to forget things. The drivers side was a bit of a pain, and I found it best to stand in the engine bay and lean over the engine. There is a spark plug socket on a swivel extension you can get from Amazon that is a must have.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014ZVSVK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dodge Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My step son is a mechanic. He says you have to remove the tire on the driver's side to get to the back plug. Definately not an legitimate reason for an extra $200.

The dealer quoted me $299 for my 3.7L Nitro. When I asked why, he said it was because they had to take off the Plenum to change the plugs. After a search on You Tube I found out HE LIED!

My local dealer told me I needed a transmission rebuild on the same Nitro. Another dealer told me all it needed was a sofetware update which fixed the problem. I really don't trust dealerships when it comes to repairs.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My step son is a mechanic. He says you have to remove the tire on the driver's side to get to the back plug. Definately not an legitimate reason for an extra $200.

The dealer quoted me $299 for my 3.7L Nitro. When I asked why, he said it was because they had to take off the Plenum to change the plugs. After a search on You Tube I found out HE LIED!

My local dealer told me I needed a transmission rebuild on the same Nitro. Another dealer told me all it needed was a sofetware update which fixed the problem. I really don't trust dealerships when it comes to repairs.

A topside creeper is the way to go on these hemi's, and some even remove the air filter box and stand in there.

I used a topside creeper on my '15, and it was just what the doctor ordered to get mine done.

Don't blame you about the distrust of the dealerships. I brought mine in for recalls after owning it for about 6 months and putting about 20k miles on it.

Service advisor shows me this sheet how my alignment is off:

20210304_073810.jpg

I said, "If my alignment is so bad, how come I've put 20k miles on it and the tire wear is even and I have no pull?

He stammered a bit and said, "You're not the first one to say this. Maybe our machine is off."

Yeah, maybe. Or maybe you just tried to screw me.

This particular dealership was brand new and had only been open a couple months at that time. It's no wonder why people distrust dealerships.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

There may be a service manual somewhere that says you should remove the wheel on the drivers side, but having changed them myself, I will absolutely say it is not necessary. Actually, I would say it is completely unnecessary amd I cannot see how it would even be beneficial to do so.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
^^^^ this

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey... I just pizzed away $870.00 for freaking SALES TAX !!!! on the 2012 I brought home yesterday,
at least you get "something" for your $800.
And on my 99 Dakota there is a reciept for brake line replacement from the PO for $800... a job I did on my 96 4X4 Dakota 2 weekends ago AND a new master cylinder, AND new wheel cylinders (bleeders snapped) AND new front pads for less than $150. And that was with the expensive NiCopp brake line!!! I have a hydraulic flare tool, I do so many brake lines at work.
then again, I bought that 96 Dakota 5 years and 70k miles ago for a total of $800. I did get it with the trans and T case in the bed, but I rebuilt that 46RE myself including a shift kit, fresh reman converter AND fluid for right at $300.... The PO sold it because he was quoted 10 TIMES that money. and it has been one of my best trucks I have ever had. Right up there with the 81 W150 and 87 B250 (window van) I am still putting miles on that 96. We are gettin dumped on right now, and expected to get 4-8" of this white crap, and that $800 truck still gets me thru the snow 70 miles a day for work.... and hauls my mowing trailer and my camper... I don't drive it as daily as I could, (trying to "save" it so it continues to do the job as long as possible) but it doesn't sit alot.
so to give you an idea of what I expect $800 to do for me.....

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
luckily I have a couple of buddies at Dodge dealers that I can call "just in case" that I trust/ but I don't bug them unless I am at a "no other choice" junction. none of them are service writers but parts guys and mechanics in the trenches.

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can buy an aftermarket transmission pan with a changeable oil filter & i think it has a Drain Plug
People that Tow a lot, change fluid more often, so they buy the after market pan.

The OEM trans pan has a filter that can not be removed & replaced

If you don't want to pay dealer prices for a spark plug change & you don't want to tackle the job yourself.

Buy the plugs online & take the vehicle to a auto shop with a good reputation & get the job done. I would use a shop that has the
ASE Blue Seal proudly displayed

When ever you have service work done keep the receipts, mark down the Date & Mileage
Printer ink tends to fade
nobody here will install customer supplied parts. the rest of what you said is 100% spot on.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hey... I just pizzed away $870.00 for freaking SALES TAX !!!! on the 2012 I brought home yesterday,
at least you get "something" for your $800.
Yeah, taxes suck. We just bought a brand new vehicle (wife totaled her SUV). Almost $4k in taxes. It is what it is.

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Id like to see the tree that my $870 buys, or the patched pothole, something. Definitely a reminder of why I have not bought a vehicle off a lot in 20 years. And much of why I feel I have to run everything into the ground. Who benefitted from them piling that much to the bill for no good reason? That's my 1st set of tires' worth of money!

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
nobody here will install customer supplied parts. the rest of what you said is 100% spot on.
Actually there are many private shops here that will BUT customer supplied parts receive NO warranty support. If you have a problem and the part dies, oh well…. You get to pony up the dough and have them do it again.