Dealers are Becoming Pretty Much Useless for Truck Customisation.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Had the pickup in to the dealer for the tailgate recall. Asked about getting them to turn up the idle 100 rpm. Nope, can't do it. So long and short, the Dealer pretty much can't do anything anymore. Can't have the fogs on with high beam, can't lower the TPMS thresholds so I can run less than 52 pounds in the rear, door sticker is 65, without the low pressure warning going off, can't turn up the idle, can't activate the PTO high idle function on the 6.4 gas like you can on the 4500 and 5500, can't set different tire sizes, can't toggle the chimes and a whole raft of other stuff on top of that.

I had resisted buying the alphaobd and security cable because I am not that fond of messing with the vehicle brain. However, given the fact the Dealer is now pretty much useless for customising even very minor functions I am going to buy the gear and figure out how to use it.

If Stelantis isn't careful they are going to end up with the dealers being warranty work only. They are stripping them of any ability to participate in the custom market, which in this area is huge.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
They've been moving in that direction, one item after another, for some years now. If it ain't in the tech tools or the dealer can't access certain areas of the BCM & PCM anymore (Ram/Chrysler/Dodge locked them out a few years ago), they won't do it.

I wanted similar items done to my 2017 CTD by a tech I had known for some years and he explained he can't touch some of those areas anymore. I was disappointed but understood his position.

It's up to the owners find a way to make those changes and, because the dealer can't get there, tools such as Alpha OBD were developed for the owner to use.

It sucks but it is what it is.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a similar experience with my previous truck, an '07 Tundra. The proprietary Toyota Techstream was difficult to find in a non-OEM product.

One thing that saved me from endless grief was when a friend/neighbor who had been a mechanic, service manager, and service advisor for decades, called up a local dealer he knew and asked them to set things up however I wanted.

A tech sat in my truck with me and went through every available setting in the Toyota Techstream and let me change what I wanted. We turned off several nannies and customized a few others to my preference.

I have to wonder, might this be the same BS with FCA dealers, because I keep hearing they are able to modify many things?

I heard the same story from many Toyota dealers, that they couldn't make these changes and yet, as I learned later from experience, they could.

That said, I already own a bypass cable and have full intention of buying AlphaOBD or something similar.

I recently found one that allows you to add a digital version of an electronic kill switch and use the cruise control buttons to unlock.

A Tazer with Pinlock.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I wonder if that means that when the dealerships sees that unauthorized changes have been made, even when the vehicle is no longer under the factory warranty,
IF they have to change it back to the stock settings ?

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wonder if that means that when the dealerships sees that unauthorized changes have been made, even when the vehicle is no longer under the factory warranty,

Are you referring to digital changes or physical wiring reconfigurations such as a JW2 Innovations harness kill switch?

I had my Toyota for years after tweaking the nanny alarms and never heard a word from another dealer I used.

As for my RAM, no dealer better change a thing without first discussing and getting my advanced approval or much $hit will rain down on them. :cool:

From what I've read online (for whatever that's worth), FCA won't give you any grief or threaten warranties even for using performance enhancement tuning devices provided your changes don't directly bugger things up. I spent considerable time researching this after my RAM purchase.

I still have about 4 years of extended warranty remaining and can't comment on post warranty other than to say, it's my truck and I will escalate rapidly should anyone choose to take liberties with the configuration.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good mechanics dont work at stealer****s just the same as good chefs dont work at Mcdicks.

You want actual techs go to a performance shop, But those guys usually arent cheap. So the only options your left with is buying Alpha ODB and HP Tuner and do it all yourself.

Some of those techs wouldn't even know how to bump the idle they are so brainwashed into thinking OEM are the best settings for these trucks. when in fact those setting are set to comply with all the EPA ********.

OP
OP
Dean2

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Good mechanics dont work at stealer****s just the same as good chefs dont work at Mcdicks.

You want actual techs go to a performance shop, But those guys usually arent cheap. So the only options your left with is buying Alpha ODB and HP Tuner and do it all yourself.

Some of those techs wouldn't even know how to bump the idle they are so brainwashed into thinking OEM are the best settings for these trucks. when in fact those setting are set to comply with all the EPA ********.
Same conclusion I came to. Order bypass, alphaobd and blue tooth reader yesterday. Will just change these minor settings myself.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
It is odd that they won't touch Ram's, but when it comes to Wrangler's they'll change whatever you want. Since most dealers are heavily modifying at least a few Wrangler's to keep on the lot.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is odd that they won't touch Ram's, but when it comes to Wrangler's they'll change whatever you want. Since most dealers are heavily modifying at least a few Wrangler's to keep on the lot.

Maybe it's the same deal as my Toyota experience. Certain dealers may see it as a customer service while others are far too uptight with the corporate mandate of, thou shall not mess with the standard configuration.

If you know of a place that will assist with custom settings for Jeep, why not ask them if they're willing to do same for Ram?

OP
OP
Dean2

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Federal US or Canada? I have run all my vehicles with fogs and high beams on and never go so much as a second look from a cop.

Last edited:

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Federal US or Canada? I have run all my vehicles with fogs and high beams on and never go so much as a second look from a cop.
I’m not sure it’s a federal regulation or a state law. I know some states such as Virginia only allow four lights to be used as illumination ahead of the vehicle (46.2-1030). Virginia considers high beams to be a combination of both low beams and separate high beams constituting four lights. Like you I run fogs with high beams via AlfaOBD and I’ve never been stopped for it.

Ratman6161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That's US. But there is a big difference between legal vs "I can get away with it". I seriously doubt the police are out looking for this or would write a ticket for it. But I also doubt that a dealership service department will knowingly create an illegal configuration even though if you do it yourself you are unlikely to ever get in trouble for it.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Given that the so-called fog lights on my '21 Warlock are more realistically driving lights, I have no concerns about setting them with AlphaOBD to function with the high beams.

I believe Ontario also has the 4 light limit yet I see 6 and more on the roads all the time. Those folks must have missed the memo. :)

Last edited:

StNick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 12V
I am not a fan of dealer services but fair is fair. Remember that it's the EPA regulations that prohibit dealers from adjusting anything that might be regulated by the EPA - they can lose their license and they don't know if you are an innocent customer or an EPA plant.

StNick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 12V
You guys are talking about fog light usage, well I was in a big-rig and was pulled into an inspection station in Oregon for having low beams and fog lights on. I didn't get a write-up but was told it is illegal in Oregon to have fogs on when they are not really needed.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Nope, didn't happen.

2Tallguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
Had the pickup in to the dealer for the tailgate recall. Asked about getting them to turn up the idle 100 rpm. Nope, can't do it. So long and short, the Dealer pretty much can't do anything anymore. Can't have the fogs on with high beam, can't lower the TPMS thresholds so I can run less than 52 pounds in the rear, door sticker is 65, without the low pressure warning going off, can't turn up the idle, can't activate the PTO high idle function on the 6.4 gas like you can on the 4500 and 5500, can't set different tire sizes, can't toggle the chimes and a whole raft of other stuff on top of that.

I had resisted buying the alphaobd and security cable because I am not that fond of messing with the vehicle brain. However, given the fact the Dealer is now pretty much useless for customising even very minor functions I am going to buy the gear and figure out how to use it.

If Stelantis isn't careful they are going to end up with the dealers being warranty work only. They are stripping them of any ability to participate in the custom market, which in this area is huge.
Lawyers and liability.