Dealers are not responsive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That was the first thing I thanked them for. I was an assistant manager at a paint shop in the 80's and I can tell the difference between factory paint and cheap shop paint. The salesman said not to worry, he would send it over to the 24 hour paint shop down the road and get it fixed right up. I said NO! It's a new truck and it must be repainted with factory paint,not aftermarket garbage. This was just one of the problems that made us back out of the deal. I did not think it was a big deal because I figured the other 6 or so dealers in the state would be happy to deal with me. NOPE.

Yep, and most other people would have no idea it was repainted, probably why they didnt call back with an offer for you to buy the truck. Right now only you and the dealer know something got fixed, and IIRC legally the dealer does not have to disclose it since it occurred prior to any sale.

So, they'll get "their price" for it from another customer who doesnt notice the difference in body work. Sometimes its a double-edged sword being knowledgeable :)

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get the out-the-price in writing before going to the dealership; that way, the games played are minimal, if any.

I recently bought my truck from a dealership about 350 miles away, as I had the final price in writing. After I got there, they still tried to play some games, but I was willing to drive back home without it if they didn't honor the price. I let them know that, and they honored the deal.

Agree. I've had to buy my last 3 rams out of town due to our super boring selection around here, and my pickiness. Closest one was a 6 hour round trip, other two were 10 and 12 hours round trip. All the numbers (price for new truck, price for trade, amount financed and out the door total) are hammered out and agreed to on a purchase order or bill of sale prior to me taking the road trip.

Not saying that I don't worry about the dealer trying something in that situation, but I've never had any issue with it either. Aside from ordering a truck (and my local dealers do not deal very much at all price wise anyway, so even then I'd look to order from a dealer elsewhere), I pretty much have to drive somewhere else to find a truck I want. It's not ideal, but I just accept it to get the truck I want. Probably would be the same with the other brands, our dealers are boring and horrible around here.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I've had to buy my last 3 rams out of town due to our super boring selection around here, and my pickiness. Closest one was a 6 hour round trip, other two were 10 and 12 hours round trip. All the numbers (price for new truck, price for trade, amount financed and out the door total) are hammered out and agreed to on a purchase order or bill of sale prior to me taking the road trip.
A lot of what a dealer stocks is the demographics of the area they're in. Around me you don't see many of any at all of the long wheel based versions of trucks sitting on the lots. Take a drive out into the farming areas and you find them some with custom work bodies already installed.

Moe S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Good to know I'm not the only one having problems. I have been emailing one dealership since Friday requesting a price on one of their Rams. Saturday they said, We will get back to you shortly." Monday they said, "Thank you for your patience, we are working on a price now." Today, they gave me a price I already knew and said that you may qualify for some incentives, please call. So I called his desk phone and his cell phone and he never called back. The dealership may be low on inventory, but they have 3 trucks exactly like the one I am requesting. Like an earlier poster mentioned, if this is the way they treat you, do I even want a RAM? I sure hope the service departments care about your business.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
I’m not shopping right now. Bought mine last November when they were trying to unload the 19s.

All of this sounds like simple supply & demand. They have low supply and apparently a moderate to high demand. Unless your standing in front of them with a serious ready to buy right now attitude willing to pay sticker or very near sticker price they’re not incentivize to be responsive. They’re busy with the customer who IS standing in front of them and not trying to beat them down on price.

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I went to Chevrolet and Dodge today in east NC looking for a bigger SUV. Chevrolet only had 2 Traverse cars on the lot, and Dodge was ready to sell me a Durango today.

Groo

Reaction score
Ram Year
shopping
Engine
shopping
They laid off their sales people. What do you expect?

MTRamFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They laid off their sales people. What do you expect?

The OP is in CT. Are you sure they laid off sales people in CT or is it just doom and gloom there in MI?

I bought my Power Wagon a month ago in ID. The dealership was bustling with customers and staff. The majority without masks.

NAVY64

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I realize the dealerships are battling through Covid like we all are, but I am interested in a 20 Ram 1500 and cannot get a dealership to even entertain me trying to buy a truck from them. I tried three so far in Connecticut and New York.

-One immediately called me and we discussed my needs. They said I would receive a credit app via email and a follow up phone call. That was three weeks ago.
-The second emailed me after I did a, "I'm interested" button on their website. They sent me an email that their best price was MSRP. Then the following week got an email that their best price was $500 over MSRP.
-The third immediately sent me a reply email at my request. Said to call the salesman. I called the salesman and he said it was too late in the day to start discussing a new truck sale and to call him back two days later.

Is this typical for RAM dealers? Makes me wonder what their service departments are like. Does anyone have recommendations? I've purchased many vehicles in my lifetime from other makes and usually have to tell the dealerships to leave me alone because of how annoying their non-stop communication becomes. This has been the complete opposite.

No issues with response times from my dealer. I justpurchased a 2020 1500 and they were over me three ways to Sunday sending surveys and wanting to schedule first oil change

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
buddy works at a Toyota dealer, they have like 4 Tundras, he said other dealers dont even want to do dealer trades...the big plants are just now getting back to work...will take a little while to refill the lots...but prices will be low for awhile I feel.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
The way it was explained to me on Saturday was all the foot traffic they previously saw into the dealerships dried up and moved online. He explained they don't have enough sales people in the seats to handle the online traffic due to social distancing of employees in the dealership as well as home deliveries, etc. This was a dealership in Houston who stated business was quiet for only the first week of the lockdown and then it took off online from there. He said they know they're not getting back to potential customers fast enough or at all but can't help it.

2019_RPX_LTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorque
Looks like I bought at just the right time. Today, there was a blurb on the local news that most of the ND dealers will be sold out of trucks and SUVs in the next month due to increased demand (largely due to the excellent financing terms) and reduced supply/output from the factories...

OP
OP
N

Nate1821

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
None
So my search for a Ram is officially over. Tried two more dealerships. One got back to me sent me pictures of a truck I didn’t like. It didn’t have the packages I wanted. The black edition is a must have. Never got a call or text back.
The second one never got back to me after I sent them the build I want. So it looks like I’m sticking with my 2016 Silverado.

Lucy Girl

Military, Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I realize the dealerships are battling through Covid like we all are, but I am interested in a 20 Ram 1500 and cannot get a dealership to even entertain me trying to buy a truck from them. I tried three so far in Connecticut and New York.

-One immediately called me and we discussed my needs. They said I would receive a credit app via email and a follow up phone call. That was three weeks ago.
-The second emailed me after I did a, "I'm interested" button on their website. They sent me an email that their best price was MSRP. Then the following week got an email that their best price was $500 over MSRP.
-The third immediately sent me a reply email at my request. Said to call the salesman. I called the salesman and he said it was too late in the day to start discussing a new truck sale and to call him back two days later.

Is this typical for RAM dealers? Makes me wonder what their service departments are like. Does anyone have recommendations? I've purchased many vehicles in my lifetime from other makes and usually have to tell the dealerships to leave me alone because of how annoying their non-stop communication becomes. This has been the complete opposite.

stay away from Patterson Rams. Should have told them to kiss your ass.

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
John DeMarco is the man. I've bought two vehicles from him before he became a sales manager. I bought my Rebel from Tony Fumanti, great to deal with.
Hey Rule18, where in OC are you I’m in Middletown looking to get a show together as soon/if we ever get back to normal. We run a show on Friday’s Rte 211 weather and coronavirus permitting this year.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Hey Rule18, where in OC are you I’m in Middletown looking to get a show together as soon/if we ever get back to normal. We run a show on Friday’s Rte 211 weather and coronavirus permitting this year.
Pine Island area, def PM me if you get a show together this year!

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Dealers have problems with getting new trucks to replace the ones on the lot and so it makes sense for them to jack up their prices on the ones they do have on the lots. I have seen prices go up by $10,000 on most 2020 Ram 1500's in my area.

I am seeing some very good deals on used very low mileage 2020 1500 pickups that are well equipped. They may be trucks for rental outfits or leasing companies that are not needed in the current situation. Most have fewer than 3000 miles on the odometer and selling at a $15,000 discount from MSRP.

As I have a good 2500 diesel picvkup I will hold onto it for now and I plan on ordering a 2021 Ram 1500 in the fall. More prudent to hold onto my cash and leave it in the bank.