Dealership issues with a new truck damaged at dealer...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
DanR

DanR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm an ex auto body painter. Since no one has chimed in here I will.

There is no reason the film should pull the clear unless it was applied incorrectly. I have sprayed paints from PPG, Dupont and Sikkens and they all have adheasion promoters for plastics, they all have flex additives for the base and clear to allow the flexing of the plastics. I can't imagine any other premium auto body paint brands being any different. There is too much money in refinishing to skimp on product... which leads me to what most likely happened in your case... a spot repair where they didn't scuff the factory clear and sprayed the new clear right over the old. With the factory glossy finish the new clear has nothing to bite into, and therefore no adherence. This would be why the film peeled up the new clear... I bet dollars to toonies that the paint under the peeling areas is still glossy.

The solution and fix for this is simple and easy. For cost and fewest chances for another comeback have a new bumper cover CORRECTLY painted factory color and follow the paint manufacturers directions when it applies to the type of plastic the bumper is made out of (different types of plastics have different paint methods). The other method is to sand ALL the new paint off the original cover get back to the factory finish and prep accordingly and spray once again following the paint manufacturers recommended procedures.

If everything is done right, depending on the paint used you should be able to film the bumper in 3-6 months (paint will take that long to out gas and harden fully) and in the future the new paint will be just as solid as the factory paint.

My neighbor has a car I repaired 20 years ago... the new paint I sprayed looks better than the factory paint and still shines... She wants me to paint the whole car but I can't paint any more due to chemical sensitivities.

You're actually not the first person to tell me this, just not sure how to get this through the dealer's skull. The place that did the protector told me there's no reason a proper after-market paint job shouldn't hold up when done right.

Txhemirt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The heck with calling, if you want them to even consider making it right I would make personal appearances. Your best bet as mentioned already is to eat the repair and not make this mistake again. Dealers are going to say whatever and promise "I owe you's" so they can get you and the vehicle out the door. Sorry for the problems you are having.