Dealership Says No Lubricating Front Driveshaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Yes^^^^, it is the tiny ball in the center, hard for me to get especially lying under the truck by my self, need three hands ,reading glasses, soothing music and a comfy pad to lay on.
....and a cold beer! :favorites13:

wallacemf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 4x4 Hemi 6.4
I’ve found that it helps to have one of the little pistol grip grease guns you can pump with one hand. It frees up your other hand to keep the needle in place.

Hydraplane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes^^^^, it is the tiny ball in the center, hard for me to get especially lying under the truck by my self, need three hands ,reading glasses, soothing music and a comfy pad to lay on.
Yep that's how I did mine, without the music I was able to C/W with only 2 hands. I really hate having to work with readers...

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
And then when I do get it in there. I swear I can’t tell if anything’s getting in it. I mean it has to right lol. I keep pumping. Haha

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
You might try calling (or stopping by) Ray Norton Tire & Auto there on Bemiss and get their opinion. When I lived in Valdosta I used them for a couple of repairs to my '95 RAM and they seemed very honest (and knowledgeable). Or, you could just "Drive it like you stole it" and make Cass Burch fix your driveshaft if it breaks!

hey im in valdosta now lol. i was at ft carson from 02-08. i hear the springs is expensive and crime sucks with all the stoners now. hope the air force is treating you well.

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10
And then when I do get it in there. I swear I can’t tell if anything’s getting in it. I mean it has to right lol. I keep pumping. Haha

Look at the rear of the joint, you'll see a inner rubber ring with the grease being pushed out, plus you'll see the excess grease sprayed on the underside of the truck from that joint when shaft is rotating.

Reactions: U&A

blu3s94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can someone confirm this will work.

Thanksffc0667d7ecf0b09d93c5428f5a7ccc4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

From the picture, the tip almost appears to be like a syringe, like something you would stab into meat to inject marinade? I can’t see that working too well, since the hole needs to be in the end of the needle and the angle of the needle needs to be close to the angle of the divot on the fitting in order to make somewhat of a “seal”.

Reactions: U&A

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002SR6XE?tag=viglink21284-20
I have this, it "works" but sometimes I cant tell, other times I seems to go in. the brace underneath makes it hard to get the right angle. This reviewer post on amazon was helpfulll to me:
Works on 3500 2014 Ram 4X4. The famous unknown and unseen Lubrication point on these vehicles requires this tool. The lube point is not a Zerk fitting and it is not in the U-joint itself. It is just behind the rear U-joint on the front driveshaft. The lube point is a tiny silver inward dimple or depression in the yoke that holds this u-joint-the rearward part. If you follow it you can see behind it the rubber boot where your grease ends up if properly injected in. It is difficult to find due to the new bracing for the stiffer improved frame system. There is a big cross brace going under the yoke and U-joint as it feeds into the transfer case but it is still accessible from just in front of it. Slightly jack the truck enough to allow the drives front wheel to spin-Jack stand the frame for safety. Get under there and slowly spin the front drive shaft until you find the grease "dimple" (it is small -half the size of a pencil erasure) and the are needs to be clean to see it. Once you find have this tool firmly threaded on to your grease gun flexible line -if alone you really need a pneumatic one (great one at northern tool). Spin the shat to where the grease dimple or port is at 3 o'clock (facing the passenger door. Awkwardly take the tool and bend the hose and line it up straight in it (there is even some curvature to the yoke carved out as a path). when you push the plastic tipped metal needle into the port it will only go about 1/16 of an inch and you will feel a slight click as it opens-That is all it is going to open. then pull the trigger and shoot the grease in. If you are straight in on the tip applying moderate pressure all the grease will go in and I can see the boot behind swell with each pump. If you get off angle or don't have the port clicked open with the pressure the grease will not go in and will just make a mess at the port. A grease needle any longer would not work. If I had to pump, hold the hose and needle while getting it aimed straight in I could not do it--BUT with the air powered grease gun I was able to do it successfully. By the way I have a pretty good dealership and I am using my free oil changes and I can tell they are not greasing this fitting so I am glad this tool works so well.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002SR6XE?tag=viglink21284-20
I have this, it "works" but sometimes I cant tell, other times I seems to go in. the brace underneath makes it hard to get the right angle. This reviewer post on amazon was helpfulll to me:
Works on 3500 2014 Ram 4X4. The famous unknown and unseen Lubrication point on these vehicles requires this tool. The lube point is not a Zerk fitting and it is not in the U-joint itself. It is just behind the rear U-joint on the front driveshaft. The lube point is a tiny silver inward dimple or depression in the yoke that holds this u-joint-the rearward part. If you follow it you can see behind it the rubber boot where your grease ends up if properly injected in. It is difficult to find due to the new bracing for the stiffer improved frame system. There is a big cross brace going under the yoke and U-joint as it feeds into the transfer case but it is still accessible from just in front of it. Slightly jack the truck enough to allow the drives front wheel to spin-Jack stand the frame for safety. Get under there and slowly spin the front drive shaft until you find the grease "dimple" (it is small -half the size of a pencil erasure) and the are needs to be clean to see it. Once you find have this tool firmly threaded on to your grease gun flexible line -if alone you really need a pneumatic one (great one at northern tool). Spin the shat to where the grease dimple or port is at 3 o'clock (facing the passenger door. Awkwardly take the tool and bend the hose and line it up straight in it (there is even some curvature to the yoke carved out as a path). when you push the plastic tipped metal needle into the port it will only go about 1/16 of an inch and you will feel a slight click as it opens-That is all it is going to open. then pull the trigger and shoot the grease in. If you are straight in on the tip applying moderate pressure all the grease will go in and I can see the boot behind swell with each pump. If you get off angle or don't have the port clicked open with the pressure the grease will not go in and will just make a mess at the port. A grease needle any longer would not work. If I had to pump, hold the hose and needle while getting it aimed straight in I could not do it--BUT with the air powered grease gun I was able to do it successfully. By the way I have a pretty good dealership and I am using my free oil changes and I can tell they are not greasing this fitting so I am glad this tool works so well.
Good instructions, except...hopefully nobody with a 2013+ is wasting their time jacking the front wheel off the ground since it’s not necessary.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score

That doesn't look right - the point should be flat.

Take a look at the where you inject the grease. It does not move into the axle very much at all.

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That's what I use. It can be inserted into the dimple

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
Just did mine again today, as above still a pain, the "dimple was covered in oil/dirt but when cleaned off with brake cleaner you can find it. Used the above tool on mini grease gun, which enables you to firmly insert the needle into the button,with one hand,and holding a mini flashlight, along the flexible tube,same hand, while pumping the handle, with the other hand. I put 5-6 pumps in could hear grease expanding.