Death of the Eco-Diesal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The only advantage to towing a TT with a EV is you can camp overnight next to a charging station.
Interesting anecdote

I watched the TFL video on a towing run between a EF-150 Lighting and a Denali,. The Ford had the 320 mile extended battery bozo stuff. It made 87 miles before it almost died, had like 1% power left when they got off highway in hunt for a "Charging" station, yup, makes sense to dis BOIRD, NOT !!!!!!!

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You ain't-a-kidding, BOIRD. I was Product Line Manager for the EPA transitions for industrial diesels in the 90's-00's for Cummins. We must have gone through a total of 50 or so engine changes for all the EPA power bands from Tier 1 to Tier IV Final. It was godawful.

Seeing what EPA mandated, I jumped the gun and got a Tier II tractor so's I didn't need to change a diaper and add DEF. Tier II was the optimal balance of emission reduction and cost increase - it went downhill quickly from there to the current (& continuing!) Tier IVf science fair that once was a diesel engine.
I think my Idea of FCA adding a third tank that can feed into your CP4 junk-ola pump to add cetane and lubricity products is something FCA should Adapt. Green Cap for Diesel // Blue Cap for Def // Orange Cap for Cetane/Lubricity Booster, lol...

WAT really suks, not just FCA with fuel pump problems, dang near all the brands use "allegedly" that lousy CP 4 junk. (Another reason why I am happy I no longer own my ED, besides the announcements now that the ED is going away, I would say funny, but Maybe not funny to current owners, if that is true).

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I think my Idea of FCA adding a third tank that can feed into your CP4 junk-ola pump to add cetane and lubricity products is something FCA should Adapt. Green Cap for Diesel // Blue Cap for Def // Orange Cap for Cetane/Lubricity Booster, lol...

WAT really suks, not just FCA with fuel pump problems, dang near all the brands use "allegedly" that lousy CP 4 junk. (Another reason why I am happy I no longer own my ED, besides the announcements now that the ED is going away, I would say funny, but Maybe not funny to current owners, if that is true).

Not sure supplemental lubricants could save the CP4 - the design appears to be insufficient for the stress and cycles upon it. I'm sure somebody did an finite element analysis on it by now and saw the lobes failing way before design life was up.

I don't know how Bosch got a stranglehold on the market. We always liked Stanadyne, but they chose not to participate in the high pressure common rail engine market.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure supplemental lubricants could save the CP4 - the design appears to be insufficient for the stress and cycles upon it. I'm sure somebody did an finite element analysis on it by now and saw the lobes failing way before design life was up.

I don't know how Bosch got a stranglehold on the market. We always liked Stanadyne, but they chose not to participate in the high pressure common rail engine market.
Me thinks the ever $$$$$$$ is what drove that market, ref pumps, but as we all know, it is always $$$$$$.