Death of the V8 & birth of a.... Inline 6?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RandyMarionCDJR

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
I have seen so much about this upcoming engine. My main wonder isn't will it be a good motor, and make for a long lasting vehicle. I just want to know, how is the community going to receive/is receiving the death of the v8? What do you think about the future of CDJR products with this being the new "big dog" in town so to speak?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Which V6 are you referring to? Maybe it's a typo in your thread title. Everything I've read is saying the Hurricane inline 6 will be replacing the Hemi V8 in 1500's, not a V6.

There have been threads already, discussing this exact thing. Opinions have been very mixed as you can imagine. I'm of the opinion that substituting a smaller displacement forced induction engine to do the work of a larger displacement V8 is inadvisable. That a smaller engine will wear itself out faster than the V8 it's replacing. But that's my opinion. I hope I'm eventually proven wrong on that, because the Hurricane seems like a powerful, smooth running engine.

OP
OP
RandyMarionCDJR

RandyMarionCDJR

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
Thanks for advising here! My mistake on the thread title but this was what I was referencing.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I expect it to have flaws out of the gate because I don't trust any manufacturer to get it right the first time. This is endemic to our society now, and ranges from computer programs to firearms but companies do not properly test their creations in real world conditions and let the first wave of consumers beta test (and occasionally alpha test) on the consumer's dime. But it apparently works, because people scoop them up anyway.

Once it's had some time to work out, I'm not opposed to it. I'd be reasonably intrigued by a Gladiator with one, the HO would make an interesting competitor for the Ranger Raptor which Jeep has no answer for. The Bronco hasn't eaten more of the Wrangler's lunch mainly due to you just can't buy one, so while I'm not a potential Wrangler buyer I think that'd be a good application as well. I think it's an easier sell in a midsize (SUV or truck) and 1/2 ton trucks vs an HD truck. That said, in a 1/2 ton I'd still opt for the hemi unless the I6 had a significant power difference, no stop/start by default, and whoever-is-Chrysler-this-week warrantied the untried motor beyond the minimal 3/36k.

Jim S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
If I wanted a FORD, I would BUY a FORD. Nope...I-6 turbo is a deal killer for me. Had to replace so many turbos on equipment it isn't funny. They just ain't reliable enough for me.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
You ask for an opinion so that's what I'm going to give, just my opinion........ To start with I am old school and a 6 cylinder anything has never and will never interest me. I don't mind a turbo on a diesel because I could care less what they sound like but I will always and only purchase an American V-8 till they are all worn out and don't exist anymore or the masses say I can't have them anymore which I won't care to be here if they end up having that power anyway. Pretty sure I'll be dust by then so I'm not worried, I'll keep enjoying my good sounding V-8 that I at least try to get the best fuel mileage out of it as I can. Once again, just MY opinion and hope it doesn't hurt anyone's feelings. I'll add that I've had 2 slant 6's (leaning tower of power)(that's a joke) in my life only long enough to get the vehicle I bought cheap home to change it over to a V-8. Then I'd give the slant 6 to someone that needed a boat anchor!

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I'm a retired mechanical engineer with 32 years of powertrain design and application experience. I don't know everything, but turbos are ok for lightly loaded spark-ignited engines. Heavily loaded wears them out much faster than natural aspiration.

A NASCAR race engine, though naturally-aspirated, lasts app. 3 x 500 mile races (1,500 miles), because it is heavily loaded and runs @ high rpm. A top fuel drag engine with a blower lasts 36 seconds or app. 6 races.

The average consumer expects a car engine to last 200,000 miles, properly-maintained. By definition, spark-ignited engines are pressure-limited due to combustion initiation from a spark plug or two. So they can not be induction-boosted beyond a certain pressure without detonating (knock), blowing out the piston.

This is expected from a diesel, where the heat of the air is used to initiate combustion all over the fuel front. The extra pressure means they have to be built to contain it.

You don't get something for nothing in the real world.

bluebeast1562

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Like I said before, Stellantis could have went straight to EVs but they didn’t. At least they’re throwing us one last bone. I’m done with any company that only sells EVs.
I agree, no EV for me. As for the projected I6 replacing the Hemi V8, no thank you as well. I will never believe that anything less than 8 cylinders are good for the work that a truck does. Towing, hauling, what have you. I hope that my 2020 will last me quite awhile so I can use it as a truck, seeing as I am almost 52, perhaps I will not need a truck in the next 10 years to go my hauling.

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
This has been beat to death. The big reason that they are going to the new
I-6 is emissions. This new engine can meet the specs. easier than the Hemi.
The other thing is the EPA mileage requirements, hopefully the engine will be better than a V-8.
Probably more than half of the Rams and the other Jeep and Dodge vehicles
are driven like cars, no pulling. A new I-6 makes sense to me.
That being said, I hope it is a slow change to drop the Hemi from the order blank.
I think it will be available for a few years yet.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have a feeling the pentastar will continue to be the base engine for some time yet, with the hemi and the new hurricane being optional engines.

Given Stellantis is still building 4th gen Ram 1500s, I can't see the hemi or pentastar going away for some years yet.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a feeling the pentastar will continue to be the base engine for some time yet, with the hemi and the new hurricane being optional engines.

Given Stellantis is still building 4th gen Ram 1500s, I can't see the hemi or pentastar going away for some years yet.

The one difference about this, is that the 4th gen factory is a different factory than the 5th gen factory so they have the ability to keep both running concurrently. I thought I read the new hurricane will be produced in the same factory as the hemi, so at some point something has to give. Maybe they keep it around in limited quantities for a while yet, at least for the trucks? One can hope.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Like I said before, Stellantis could have went straight to EVs but they didn’t. At least they’re throwing us one last bone. I’m done with any company that only sells EVs.

I really see EVs crashing hard. just from our power grid alone its going to be a disaster and raw materials for batteries is another. there isnt enough charge stations to ever think about switching to all electric, and if we charge at home good luck lol. 1.88 cars per house hold is a lot of charge stations lol California cant even run all the A/C units per house during peak summer months. Until battery technology gets a touch better i don't see this working for most Americans.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i cant see them dropping the hemi so fast maybe in the next year or two. some people will jump on the inline 6 but there is quite a few people that want to see it run for a few years before they buy a new thing. Another thought is all other manufactures are going away from v8, going to v6 and electric this could be a selling point for a few years for a manufacture with a v8 option.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Chrysler engines are not made at the assembly plants

Many engines are built in
Dundee Michigan
Kokomo Indiana
Trenton Michigan
Saltillo Mexico

Where are Chrysler Hemi engines made?
Ramos Arizpe, Mexico

It is a 90-degree V8, 2-valve pushrod design like the past Magnum series engines, displacing 5,654 cc (345 cu in), with a bore of 3.917 in (99.49 mm) and a stroke of 3.578 in (90.88 mm). The 5.7 L Hemi is made at Chrysler's Saltillo Engine plant in Ramos Arizpe, Mexico.

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
The one difference about this, is that the 4th gen factory is a different factory than the 5th gen factory so they have the ability to keep both running concurrently. I thought I read the new hurricane will be produced in the same factory as the hemi, so at some point something has to give. Maybe they keep it around in limited quantities for a while yet, at least for the trucks? One can hope.
The new Hurricane is being made in Mexico, from what I have read.
And they have been turning them out for a while already. They will be
installed in Jeep, Ram and Dodge this summer.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The 3.0-liter Hurricane twin-turbo I-6 is produced at Stellantis' Saltillo Engine Plant in Mexico.

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The news is incorrect. I own a tesla and there has been no such warning. The charge current doesn’t touch the infotainment system, that’s on the 12V system whereas propulsion and charging are on the high voltage system. I charge at home, have only used a station once in 18k miles. it’s about 10% of my home’s energy use. When I install solar eventually, it will not consume any power from the grid at all and I may contribute back. The media’s pants are on fire that capitalism is working. That’s what’s happening and they can’t stand it.
Those electric charging stations are far from perfect

The news is now reporting that people that own a Tesla have been warned not to use the fast charge setting
Using Fast Charge is burning up the Fancy Infotainment System