Death of the V8 & birth of a.... Inline 6?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
It's been 60 years since we built the last refinery. Leases are cancelled, moratoriums are in place, there's no ramping up of production occurring.
Double digit per gallon prices, nationwide rolling blackouts, first time in our history begging for foreign food aid, etc. etc.

Most of us aren't rich enough to ignore reality.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
It's been 60 years since we built the last refinery. Leases are cancelled, moratoriums are in place, there's no ramping up of production occurring.
Double digit per gallon prices, nationwide rolling blackouts, first time in our history begging for foreign food aid, etc. etc.

Most of us aren't rich enough to ignore reality.

Assuming "we" is the US, that's not true either. Garyville Refinery is one of the largest in the US and was built in the late 70's. 5 smaller refineries were built in the last 10 years. Capacity over the last 20 years had grown about 3 million barrels per day until the pandemic hit, demand bottomed out, and we dropped back to about 2015 levels. Production is ramping up, but faces the same challenges everyone is facing in terms of getting manpower and materials to the right places at the right times.

Doom **** masquerading as news sells very well, but the view out the window is very different then the view coming out of your speakers or on your screen. That's the reality.

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

Ramagain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Which V6 are you referring to? Maybe it's a typo in your thread title. Everything I've read is saying the Hurricane inline 6 will be replacing the Hemi V8 in 1500's, not a V6.

There have been threads already, discussing this exact thing. Opinions have been very mixed as you can imagine. I'm of the opinion that substituting a smaller displacement forced induction engine to do the work of a larger displacement V8 is inadvisable. That a smaller engine will wear itself out faster than the V8 it's replacing. But that's my opinion. I hope I'm eventually proven wrong on that, because the Hurricane seems like a powerful, smooth running engine.
Is Ford experiencing this with their Ecoboost V6's? ( I hate Fords, and take any chance I can to knock them down but this opinion doesn't seem to bear out.) Probably been mentioned but a lighter weight platform with similar power output will equate to better hauling capacity. Seems like a win in my book.

Ramagain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree, no EV for me. As for the projected I6 replacing the Hemi V8, no thank you as well. I will never believe that anything less than 8 cylinders are good for the work that a truck does. Towing, hauling, what have you. I hope that my 2020 will last me quite awhile so I can use it as a truck, seeing as I am almost 52, perhaps I will not need a truck in the next 10 years to go my hauling.
I have an I6 in my truck, Wanna go head to head with your v8? Lol

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just a reminder. How's your reality holding up?

I don't know enough about how gas prices are set. All I can say is, I hope the $1.40/L sticks around for next towing season but I'd lay money on it going back up before summer.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I don't know enough about how gas prices are set. All I can say is, I hope the $1.40/L sticks around for next towing season but I'd lay money on it going back up before summer.

It will, both due to demand for travel season and due to higher manufacturing costs for hot weather blends. Crystal balls are always cloudy, but with the threat of a global recession and manufacturing slowing down reducing energy demands they may not bounce back as much as they have recently.

But we're not seeing the double digit gas prices that some people on both sides of the aisle were squawking were just around the corner. You'd think most people here lived through the Bush era gas price spikes if not the Arab Oil Embargo and would figure out peaks and troughs occur in the market rather than a trend continuing on forever. Inflation adjusted, gas in November of 2022 is cheaper than November 2007. The large gyrations in the market then resulted in 2008 having a peak summer (hitting a US national average of $5.87 in today's money) then a winter crash ($2.41...), and 2009 is within pennies of 2022s prices.

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn Night Edition
Engine
V8
Haven't heard much about Brandon's war on oil lately. One of his major campaign promises was to end all fossil fuel in his first term. Bold and idiotic. The market reacted, prices went through the roof, people were pissed (including Brandon supporters). it was a failed policy that nobody thought through. Sounded good on the podium, but it was a nightmare to implement. Seems that oil producers are more confident now and prices have come down.

Plainbroke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One thing about a inline 6 you will be hard pressed to blow it up. Most of them will not turn enough rpms to hurt the motor and the inline setup is smoother running less vibration, the old 300 ford 6 was tough as nails.
we drained to water and oil out of one and drove it 16 miles from one town and back to try to blow it up so we could put a v-8 in it. I guess that kids dad knew it was not gonna happen. My dad had one that blew the radiator hose and he drove it home 30 miles without water and the damn thing ran fine for years after that. I think they are great motors. had a 92 f150 with the 300 and a 84 both motors had more torque than the clutch could handle. We pulled a car hauler with a t-bird on it 60 miles home and I forgot the trailer was back there it pulled it so well. Not understanding the turbos need other than to keep the cubic inches down for MPG numbers.. Just my 2 cents.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yeah, but you'll wear it out if you tow or otherwise load it often. Stellantis is counting on 100% grocery-getter purchasers. The old 300 was tough because it didn't have the torque modern engines do for the loads we're used to now.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm a retired mechanical engineer with 32 years of powertrain design and application experience. I don't know everything, but turbos are ok for lightly loaded spark-ignited engines. Heavily loaded wears them out much faster than natural aspiration.

A NASCAR race engine, though naturally-aspirated, lasts app. 3 x 500 mile races (1,500 miles), because it is heavily loaded and runs @ high rpm. A top fuel drag engine with a blower lasts 36 seconds or app. 6 races.

The average consumer expects a car engine to last 200,000 miles, properly-maintained. By definition, spark-ignited engines are pressure-limited due to combustion initiation from a spark plug or two. So they can not be induction-boosted beyond a certain pressure without detonating (knock), blowing out the piston.

This is expected from a diesel, where the heat of the air is used to initiate combustion all over the fuel front. The extra pressure means they have to be built to contain it.

You don't get something for nothing in the real world.
Thanks for pounding the physics drum. Folks who believe the old stories of 100 MPG carburetors are SO unclear on the concept!
Look at today's current cars on the streets and freeways. Notice something about them all, regardless of who the manufacturer is? Aerodynamics! Notice the rake of both the front and rear "windshields". Observe that there are places where sharp edges have been eliminated (e.g. drip rails)

Add to that, the reduction of swept volume per mile driven with a tiny 1.4, 1.5 Liter engine. Now, enter the "need for speed" that seems to have overcome everyone! Let's Turbocharge them to satisfy that lust for go fast!

Several people I know who have the newer generic toy cars report right at 40 MPG to me but they typically keep the accelerator under 25% as much as possible. These people never have major car issues... just normal maintenance.

But why do the manufacturers do this? Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) mandates by big Gummint! Trucks and full sized SUV's are in their sights too.

It never ceases to amaze me to be driving on my local streets at normal speeds and accelerating conservatively... and without fail, some featherbrained driver will run up on my rear, and swoop around me at 100% throttle, frequently displaying his disdain for me being so slow.. ONLY to have to cram his brakes on at the next stop light, and I roll up next to him for the same red light.

Yeah.

JCE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Several people I know who have the newer generic toy cars report right at 40 MPG to me but they typically keep the accelerator under 25% as much as possible. These people never have major car issues... just normal maintenance.

Fun fact, both my 2016 & 2018 Dodge Charger R/Ts frequently got 30-42 MPG on the highway and 18-24 in the city depending on traffic. Things like cylinder deactivation, aerodynamics, throttle control and a well tuned large displacement naturally aspirated engine work wonders. I could of had an eco tune done to slightly improve my numbers. My point is a little more R&D, plug-in hybrid systems and to push away from these idiotic small engines+turbos is a better route. Those HEMI V8 Chargers of mine were amazing when I drove like a sane person with proper throttle control and even engine braking.

Lastly F the damn gov't for once again butting in to our private lives and industry. The consumer should be the deciding factor on what's available not the federales.

*edit*
Videos. My receipts as the kids say today.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Thanks for pounding the physics drum. Folks who believe the old stories of 100 MPG carburetors are SO unclear on the concept!
Look at today's current cars on the streets and freeways. Notice something about them all, regardless of who the manufacturer is? Aerodynamics! Notice the rake of both the front and rear "windshields". Observe that there are places where sharp edges have been eliminated (e.g. drip rails)

Add to that, the reduction of swept volume per mile driven with a tiny 1.4, 1.5 Liter engine. Now, enter the "need for speed" that seems to have overcome everyone! Let's Turbocharge them to satisfy that lust for go fast!

But why do the manufacturers do this? Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) mandates by big Gummint! Trucks and full sized SUV's are in their sights too.

It never ceases to amaze me to be driving on my local streets at normal speeds and accelerating conservatively... and without fail, some featherbrained driver will run up on my rear, and swoop around me at 100% throttle, frequently displaying his disdain for me being so slow.. ONLY to have to cram his brakes on at the next stop light, and I roll up next to him for the same red light.

Yeah.
I like to pull along side them and wave a 'Howdy", we met again wave.

Sometimes, just to be onery, as I see one of those idiots pull up behind, I roll down my window and make the "Cop Ahead' Sign, in the air.
That;s pretty satisfying too. Specially on the Interstates. Nothing funnier than to have a long line of Type "A"'s, behind me, as I slowly putt along.

OMG! She's RIGHT.

My Wife calls me Adze-hole, practically every day.
Now, I understand.

EDIT:

While on the subject of Type "A"'s.
Ever notice how these ultra aggressive folks tend to actually 'Melt', when someone who has no problem with physical Violence, or fear of incarceration, is nearby.
I mean, literally melt away, into Nothing. Chalk one up for Natures Survival Instinct. Truly is genetically hard wired.

Mittens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
12v Cummins
I wouldn't mind more N/A 6 cyl engines. No clue how ford's 3.3 is, but GM's 3.6 is quite good though it's not a truck engine. Why is it that turbo diesels are so much more accepted than turbo gas?