Death wobble 01 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaywalla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got a bad death wobble. checked everything out and aside from the sway bar links everything looks tight but sway bar links shouldnt cause death wobble. it has a lift with a drop bracket for the track bar. when i turn the wheal the bracket moves slightly. Im having it welded ini place to eleminate the play as right now its held by just 2 dolts. My question is would this cause suck a bad death wobble or do i likely have another issue?

bracket.jpg

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Got a bad death wobble. checked everything out and aside from the sway bar links everything looks tight but sway bar links shouldnt cause death wobble. it has a lift with a drop bracket for the track bar. when i turn the wheal the bracket moves slightly. Im having it welded ini place to eleminate the play as right now its held by just 2 dolts. My question is would this cause suck a bad death wobble or do i likely have another issue?

View attachment 194023
The track bar bracket being loose can cause the wobble and so will a weak or undersized steering damper.

Reactions: Mop
OP
OP
J

Jaywalla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The damper seems good. its been upgraded and seems strong. I hope welding the track bar mounting bracket fixes the problem. its the only place a see any play in the steering.

OP
OP
J

Jaywalla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just got the truck and am still working on getting tires so test drives have unfortunately been made with 36 12.50 16's on the back and 265 75 16's on the front, i think that might have amplified the death wobble. I got someone coming to weld the bracket on for me today. crossing my fingers that it fixes the wobble.

Reactions: Mop

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A worn ball joint on the frame end of the track bar can also contribute to wobble.

That joint, however, is “non serviceable”. You can repair with a “Luke’s link” or just replace the track bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

Jaywalla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its welded to the frame and is solid now and move and it did help significantly but i still have a bit of a wobble. I had to try to get the wobble going where before the weld it was unavoidable, and it isn't near as violent as it was before. I know my wheels and tires are way off balance too but they are only temporary. I have been looking at suspension parts on ebay and think i might just go ahead and redo it all. https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Comple...ar-2000-2001-13pc-Dodge-Ram-1500/312866658576
That pretty much covers everything that could be an issue i think.

kmrtnsn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Coming from the Jeep world I have found the vast majority of purported cases of "death wobble" to be nothing more than the stability control kicking in.

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Coming from the Jeep world I have found the vast majority of purported cases of "death wobble" to be nothing more than the stability control kicking in.

2nd gen Dodge/Ram trucks barely had anti-lock brakes, let alone anything that resembled stability control. You could actually spin the tires, do donuts, and drift corners at will, without any “electronic nannies” shutting you down.

kmrtnsn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2nd gen Dodge/Ram trucks barely had anti-lock brakes, let alone anything that resembled stability control. You could actually spin the tires, do donuts, and drift corners at will, without any “electronic nannies” shutting you down.

Agreed. It's also very hard in a new vehicle to get the "stacking" of loose tolerances needed for it to occur. The biggest causes of true "death wobble" are a COMBINATION of soft over length springs (coil), worn/bad shocks that cannot dampen oscillations, bad tie rod end(s), and a bad pitman arm. Usually there is a huge unsprung mass issue involved, like an badly unbalanced heavy tire, usually over inflated.

OP
OP
J

Jaywalla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tie rod ends are pretty new, I changed the track bar and sway bar links and bushings, got new tires and had them balanced. I only feel the wobble very softly and it always goes away almost immediately. I am going to do some ball joints and get an alignment and have the rotors spun and i think all should be good with it.