Death Wobble Causes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lots of components can do this, basically any joint where side to side play can result in the front tires.

Track bar ends
Tie rods
Drag link
Wheel bearings
Ball joints

The tolerance in all the parts can stack up so the total is more than the individual motion at any one place.

Seems less common in the HD trucks than lighter stuff, but I have experienced the same in one of five HD Rams I’ve had.
Having personally experiencing on several of my vehicle’s (all 3 of my Wrangler TJ’s and my 04 WJ GC) I can say this 1 TJ was the track bar mount on the axle the whole was out of round and caused it, 1 was the front UCA’s on the axle side, and 1 was the draglink. The WJ was also front UCA’s on the axle side. So check all of them, the front upper UCA’s are always overlooked, as is the track bar bushing’s and the mounting holes they due tend to deflect and will oblong the hole even when the bushing seems tight.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
the new fords are plagued with it. do you live under a rock ?
That was well thought out, Maybe some of us don't have anything to do with Fords

Back to the question, If is only one part of the same road all the time , and nowhere else, I would think the road is the major reason, line where patch jobs where done, gravel road, washboard? If no one is on it ,I would get out and have a real good look at that spot

OP
OP
FlatbedHemi

FlatbedHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That was well thought out, Maybe some of us don't have anything to do with Fords

Back to the question, If is only one part of the same road all the time , and nowhere else, I would think the road is the major reason, line where patch jobs where done, gravel road, washboard? If no one is on it ,I would get out and have a real good look at that spot

The spots it di it in were poor patch jobs or resurfacing, resulting in wash boarding, but it did it even after getting on smooth road.

OP
OP
FlatbedHemi

FlatbedHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, got a balance and rotate, and all is well for now. Amazing how little off balance made that much of a difference. I have a couple hundred miles on it since, and even in the same spots I had death wobble before, and dont. However, next time I rotate, I will see if it was the balance or if it is the tire itself. Will keep you updated.

stealthrunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I recently went through a year and half of trying to diagnose this pesky issue on my 2015, replaced trac bar didn't fix it, inspected ball joints, tie rods, and all the usual suspects no slack and all within limits, I am running a 6 inch lift with 37's, I was reading an article from a race company that races Baja races and they were detailing how they had front end death wobble issue, they went from a single to a dual steering stabilizer and that solved their issue. I tried the same and haven't had the wobble in over 6 months. hope this helps, I know it is not all encompassing and there is a plethora of possibilities, but this is what fixed my truck.

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You probably need a track bar, tires were just making it more obvious. The radius arm trucks don’t suffer from it as much but it still happens. At lest Ram did not use a balljoint on the track bar like Ford does.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
youve got mechanical problems somewhere if you need multiple stabilizers . with 6" lift i suspect your front end geometry is all out of wack