Death Wobble - track bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PerfEm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It has been many years since I have been so frustrated by a vehicle problem as I have been with this darned "Death Wobble"!! I've tried a lot of things, but haven't found the magic part yet that would make it all go away.

So far I've tried:
- new Rancho steering stabilizers (double shock set)
- new KYB shocks all around
- new steering linkage
- stabilizer bar bushings and end links
- and a bunch of other stuff that my mind is too fried right now to think of (been a long day!)

Everything helped, and the test drive went well, so I took the love of my life out for a spin to brag a bit. Spoke too soon!! There is a freeway bridge on I-15 just north of Blackfoot that is so constructed as to induce the death wobble traveling north or south at 75 mph. I hit that and was all of a sudden all over the road! The love of my life, a very patient woman who has financed me through all this, was definitely not impressed!

So I ordered a new track bar with new bushings. It came on Wednesday and I immediately installed it.

The new bar is much heavier and stronger than the OEM bar, especially at the ends where it attaches to the bushing housings. You can see it in the pictures.

IMG_20200812_143524.jpg
Zooming in closer you can see that the old bushings have had it. Just like steel, rubber fatigues and wears out. The old bushings were badly cracked. The track bar runs from the frame near the left wheel to the bottom of the right strut. It basically holds the axle and frame in their proper positions. With the bushings shot, I was probably getting about 1/8" play at each end, so sideways forces on the wheels could allow the axle to move horizontally (left and right) up to 1/4".

IMG_20200812_143534.jpg
IMG_20200812_143543.jpg

Two things to see in these two pictures. 1) notice how much bigger the wrists are on the new bar! 2) notice the cracks in the rubber bushings of the old bar. The rubber has been weakened enough there to allow the bushing sleeve to slop around in the bar. Not good!

There is one 3/4" (wrench size) bolt through each end, and the 13/16" nut on the other side where it's hard to get to has a long steel tab welded on to it so it hits the frame and won't turn when the bolt does, either direction. Very considerate engineering!

The new bar made an immediate difference in the ride, road feel and handling! Well worth it for those attributes, but I got it to address the death wobble.

It didn't! Front end still danced going across the ends of that bridge. Spousal support unit (SSU) started making impatient noises about how long this cure was taking, and other resources it was also taking. I couldn't argue with her! I was starting to feel terminal discouragement, too!

And that is why the red vehicle in my driveway tonight looks more like a 2012 Nissan Rogue than a 2005 SLT 2500 Big Horn! I know when I'm licked. Hated to do this, but the Rogue actually meets our needs better than the Ram. We bought the Ram to pull our 30' 5th wheel camper, but a maple tree fell on it before I could bring it back out here from MN. So I don't need the truck any more. And, oh, by the way, I more than doubled my mpg on the trade.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Good luck with the Rogue. I used to be a solid Nissan guy. We had a Datsun/Nissan of some type in the family for 25+ years but they dinged me on a warranty issue and I've decided to no longer support them. They make a fine vehicle, just gave me such a run-around that I got pissed off and dumped them.

I know it's too late, but did you ever look at one of these for the truck? It shows the for the Cummins, but it is really just for the HD truck in general. Got rid of a buddy of mine's DW.

https://prosourcediesel.com/shop/br...MIgY6Amcec6wIVxT2tBh2FYA1zEAQYAyABEgJzTvD_BwE

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, DW can be a royal PITA to correct. Basically any moving joint in the front steering and suspension can be a contributor, and the free play in various parts can stack up and work together.

Then you see the next vehicle and the whole front is worn and sloppy, but no DW.

Basically it’s like a huge tuning fork; you get the right combination of free play and masses and it vibrates when it gets hit.

Good luck with the new ride. Don’t watch Scotty Kilmer.

OP
OP
PerfEm

PerfEm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7