Deciding between timbren and air springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will be getting a travel trailer (5000lb dry) soon and would like to prepare my 1500. I like the idea of the maintenance free timbren system and also how easy it is to install. I dont believe it affects the factory warranty either. However, the airprings either by airlift or Firestone seem pretty sweet allowing for adjustability. Looking for input from people of have had experience with both or either system. I also live in the salt belt of canada so our winters are extremely corrosive.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
Towing the parachute of a TT its best to prioritize a WDH over airbags for better control over weight wind & sway. Having both is ideal but either should suffice for a 5k trailer. The Timbren bump stops work well when either you have no load where the truck does not ride on them (except crossing a speed bump can be harsh) or such a heavy load that it rests on the bump stops. When the load is so heavy that it solidly rides on the bump stops its really firm but works well. Not sure if say 600 pounds tongue weight from a 5k trailer is heavy enough or not. It may transition on and off the bump stops and be less than ideal. But like you said they are cheap and easy to install.

Personally I have been spoiled with a good axle to frame air bag setup. Adjustable to any weight for desired ride, lift, and suspension control/dampening. Well worth the difference in cost to me. The ones John mentioned would be my pick. Check them out and compare.

https://timbergroveenterprises.com/old-home

The simple to install basic $354 set is all you need. The onboard compressor is nice but any cheap store under the seat air pump or truck stop air hose will work well. Most people leave them at say 5 psi all the time and only bump it up to 15-20 psi when loaded with trailer.

Last edited:

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will be getting a travel trailer (5000lb dry) soon and would like to prepare my 1500. I like the idea of the maintenance free timbren system and also how easy it is to install. I dont believe it affects the factory warranty either. However, the airprings either by airlift or Firestone seem pretty sweet allowing for adjustability. Looking for input from people of have had experience with both or either system. I also live in the salt belt of canada so our winters are extremely corrosive.

I would strike air bags off your list. They don't like cold weather and will end up leaking in a year or two. I had Timbren on my last truck and they are OK but you would be better off replacing the rear coil springs as many here have. They are relatively cheap and it only takes about an hour to do both sides. Have a look a TufTruck springs. I have them and have been happy with them and the ride. I see they are red now, mine were black.

https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/inde...7&make_select=691&model_select=9339&x=85&y=16

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gero

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the input. Do you suggest the 25% or 50% stronger rear springs? I'd like to maintain the stock height and ride quality as well. I might just do both springs and timbren. My loaded trailer weight would be 6500lbs with 700lb tongue weight. I figured a young family of 5 plus luggage would be 900lbs.

I would strike air bags off your list. They don't like cold weather and will end up leaking in a year or two. I had Timbren on my last truck and they are OK but you would be better off replacing the rear coil springs as many here have. They are relatively cheap and it only takes about an hour to do both sides. Have a look a TufTruck springs. I have them and have been happy with them and the ride. I see they are red now, mine were black.

https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/inde...7&make_select=691&model_select=9339&x=85&y=16

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Airbags are awesome due to the adjust-ability. I agree that good WDH and anti-sway are needed but those are different beasts.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the input. Do you suggest the 25% or 50% stronger rear springs? I'd like to maintain the stock height and ride quality as well. I might just do both springs and timbren. My loaded trailer weight would be 6500lbs with 700lb tongue weight. I figured a young family of 5 plus luggage would be 900lbs.

I have the TTC 1223V (35%) springs and my truck sits flat when my 5500 pound trailer is hooked up but I don't have much in the bed of the truck and there is only two of us in the cab. I also have a WD hitch. You will loose some ride quality when unloaded with new springs because the factory ones are so soft. The 1223V variable rate springs ride almost as good a OEM unloaded, which is why I bought them, as I only tow 5 to 10 times a year. Many here have the 1211's and I believe they don't raise the rear anymore than stock but will for sure be stiffer. Call up the guys in the link and tell them what you are after, they were very helpful when I bought mine.

I should also mention that with the TTC-1223V springs I actually lost about an 1" (maybe a little less) of ride height in the rear unloaded because they are shorter than the OEM springs but get stiffer under load. I like the way that looks too.

Last edited:

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think the deciding factor between bags or coils would be how often you tow. If you are towing often, id vote springs. if you tow maybe once a week or less, id do bags.

Like Grizzstang said, if you email TTC, tell them exactly what you want and what you tow and all that, they will recommend a spring to you. I have the 1210 but I only tow a pop-up and didn't lose any ride quality and gained a 1/4 inch in height.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
I tow TTs & boats daily commercially for the Mfgs 445,000 miles on my 2014 Ecodiesel. Plenty of cold weather haven't had trouble with the quality heavy rubber axle to frame bags. They are similar in many respects to what a semi uses which generally is cold weather reliable. With the bags, stock springs and shocks have held up well. But I think the ideal would be 1223V with axle to frame bags Timbergrove or otherwise. Have done a 9,086 TT with 1,250 TW or to 8k on the truck or 15,800 CVW. Proper weight distribution proved on the scales via a correctly sized adjusted WDH with built in sway control and axle to frame bags always controlled the load well. But if I was replacing the springs it would be with the 1223V.

The thinner in-coil bags also work for most any load you would put on a half ton truck but per Air Lift should be aired up prior to loading as otherwise they may not lift the load but rather balloon out between the coils. This doesn't always work well when you are trying to set your rig up at the scales for proper weight distribution. But they do have the advantage of being $100 vs $350.

On a side note while built in sway control on a hitch is very helpful the primary prevention of sway is in proper tongue weight. Most even flat front trailers kept to or below 65 will be reasonably semi truck or wind gust sway resistant at 12 to 13% of gross trailer weight.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gero

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the feedback guys. I will for sure invest in a good wdh. The guys that are selling the trailers I'll be purchasing carry husky and reese. They recommend the husky kit. I haven't done any research on wdh yet but will be shortly.

I'm not too fond of the 1" lowered ride height of the 1223v. I'm leaning towards the airbag by timbergrove. It's nice to know that there are lots of options available for improving towing and payload.

I will likely be towing probably 8-10 times per year so that's not really too excessive.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I had the Airlift 1000 bags. Couldn't survive 1 winter, passenger side bag developed a leak somewhere. Wouldn't hold air. I tested it... air line held air, valve held air in the line. It was definitely the bag.

Filled out warranty registration info on their website. When I got the confirmation email, I sent a copy of it along with my warranty request to their customer service, so they'd have all my details. They replied approximately a day or two later, asked for my product (which was very clearly in what I sent them already). I played ball, sent them that info. They asked for more details about me and the truck (again, a day or two in-between emails), again clearly what I already sent them. I still played ball. Another business day or two... and their response was "please call us." What was the point of all that if I have to call anyway? Why not tell me to call in the first place?

In short... they don't read emails well, don't seem to take them seriously. I threw the bags away (PITA to uninstall, FYI), and got the Timber Groves. Not disappointed yet, work great, and unlike the 1000s they can lift the truck's rear end after loading.

I'm glad the Airlift 1000s work well for some, but this is a case of you get what you pay for, and the Timber Groves are quite nice. If you are lucky enough to want them when they're out of stock, sometimes they even give you a small discount for ordering them.

Last edited:

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
You should also check Timber Grove Rear Air Springs. And if you want to air up or down with a remote check Air Lift WirelessOne Compressor System - # 25870.

I have this setup. It works good and they are not hard to install by yourself.

I tow TTs & boats daily commercially for the Mfgs 445,000 miles on my 2014 Ecodiesel. Plenty of cold weather haven't had trouble with the quality heavy rubber axle to frame bags. They are similar in many respects to what a semi uses which generally is cold weather reliable. With the bags, stock springs and shocks have held up well. But I think the ideal would be 1223V with axle to frame bags Timbergrove or otherwise. Have done a 9,086 TT with 1,250 TW or to 8k on the truck or 15,800 CVW. Proper weight distribution proved on the scales via a correctly sized adjusted WDH with built in sway control and axle to frame bags always controlled the load well. But if I was replacing the springs it would be with the 1223V.

This setup with (1223V Springs) and the Timber Groves ASAM's would give you all the ability you would need with the Weight Distribution Hitch (WDH). VernDiesel is the one to listen to. Very knowledgeable with being safe on the road while towing. For the amount of towing I do, the Timber Grove ASAM's with the WirelessOne compressor setup is plenty. I may upgrade to a Hellwig rear sway bar later on. I did replace the Goodyear RS-A's with factory size, (275/60R20's), Nitto Terra Grappler G2's 116 XL's. Handles much better on the road and reduced the squirm or wiggle in the ass end when towing.

DustanT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 24v cummins
I like the all the info here but what about if you have a 1" spacer does this affect the bags?

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
I like the all the info here but what about if you have a 1" spacer does this affect the bags?

A spacer between the frame and spring?

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
Timber Grove makes air assist springs for trucks with a two to four inch lift, but I think a one inch spacer wouldn't make much of a difference with the integrity of the air assist spring. I would call or email Timber Grove Enterprises to check and make sure. They respond very quickly and have good customer service.

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am a proponent of the kISS method, and therefore went with improved springs. I started with the 1223v which worked great but were still a little softer than I preferred (I also added a 1" poly spacer). I'm now running something that should be the equivalent of the standard 1223. Stiffer for sure, but still rides good unloaded and no excessive squat under load. My wife hasn't even noticed the difference since I installed them a few months ago. My travel trailer is 6000 lbs with a tongue weight of 800 lbs. My truck sits level without the wd bars hooked up. That includes a couple hundred pounds of stuff in the bed. The front has been raised 1.4" via Bilsteins too.
20180811Ram&Trailer.jpg

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Yes it sits on the axle between the spring and axle.

I took mine 1" spacer out when I put the Timbergrove bags on because the extra height shifts the rearend over and the spring on the right side kept hitting the air bag.