Decision Time - 1994 Ram 1500, Original Owner, 60K, Dead Cylinder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jac04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 1994 Ram 1500 Laramie SLT, 4x2, 5.2, automatic, regular cab, long bed. My father bought it new and it was handed down to me in 2012 with 43k miles on it. It now has a little over 60k on it. It's never seen salt, so it's rust free.

Here's the problem:
This past summer I noticed a light ticking noise that would start after the engine reached operating temperature. I tracked it down to the #8 cylinder head area with my stethoscope. Figuring it was a sticky lifter, I did an oil change (although the oil only had like 2500 miles on it). About 25 miles later, the ticking stopped. The truck rarely sees any highway travel.

About 3 weeks ago, I decided to take it on a short highway trip (about 10 minutes each way). On the way back, the truck started vibrating / shaking quite violently. I immediately slowed down and the vibration got a lot better. However, the vibration would get worse the lower the engine rpm. I hit the "OD Off" button and limped home about 5 miles. The vibration was the worst at lower engine rpm and higher engine load.

I initially thought that maybe something happened to the transmission or torque converter, based on the severity of the vibration. However, when I got home I could hear a puffing noise from the exhaust. So, I did a compression test and found #8 cylinder had 0 psi. Nothing. Popped the valve cover and everything seems to be moving the way it is supposed to. Using my air compressor, I pressurized the cylinder with the valves closed and everything came out the exhaust. OK, so I've got a bad exhaust valve.

BUT, the truck also has the following issues:
Bad plenum gasket
Rattling catalytic converter
Exhaust is getting really tender - not sure it will make it much longer.
The paint is flaking (it is 2-tone; red with a silver center band, and the silver is flaking)

I'm now faced with the decision of whether or not to fix this truck. My thought was to get a set of new cast iron cylinder heads from Hughes Engines, along with gaskets, a plenum kit, 02 sensor, tune-up kit, catalytic converter & exhaust. Unfortunately, I'm looking at around $2700 in parts alone. I can do the work myself, but I really don't want to (read as: I'm not young anymore, I like working on cars when I want to, but when I have to it's not much fun).

So, what do you all think? Is it worth fixing?

Reactions: Mop

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Man that is a tough call. I think the question is if you want to spend the time doing the work yourself or spend the money to upgrade. I had the heads off my 5.9 before and while it wasn't difficult, the thought of doing it again hurts my back haha.

For me that would be an easy no. Newer trucks have more power, fuel efficiency and are more comfortable. But, a few $k to fix your old truck vs who knows how much to buy a newer used truck or a new truck?

OP
OP
J

jac04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As you can see, the truck is really clean. That's why this is a tough decision ...

IMG_2469.jpg IMG_2470.jpg IMG_2471.jpg IMG_2472.jpg

IMG_2474.jpg

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dang that is really clean, tough call!

OP
OP
J

jac04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For me that would be an easy no. Newer trucks have more power, fuel efficiency and are more comfortable. But, a few $k to fix your old truck vs who knows how much to buy a newer used truck or a new truck?

Yeah, that about sums it up. But I really like the old Dodge. It's registered as a Classic vehicle, so my property taxes are low, and it is cheap to insure. But, my wife doesn't like it at all, and my daughter (who starts driving in about 10 months) wants nothing to do with it.

I'm probably looking at $20-25k for a newer truck that would be good for my daughter to drive. And, of course, the higher taxes & insurance that goes along with a newer truck.

Bear_Gibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I know i would fix it. If you're looking for stock cylinder heads there are much cheaper options. I replaced my heads in 2016 because of a bad exhaust valve. Some of these trucks had head problems because the catalytic converter is right below the passenger cylinder head. I replaced mine with a Magnaflow y pipe and a cat a little further back. No codes afterwards. I really like the simplicity of the older trucks.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

jac04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know i would fix it. If you're looking for stock cylinder heads there are much cheaper options.
Any suggestions? If I'm going to fix it, I don't mind spending a little more if it means getting a better product.

Bear_Gibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Any suggestions? If I'm going to fix it, I don't mind spending a little more if it means getting a better product.
The better factory heads are made by a company called eq. I bought inexpensive rebuilt heads. Heck if you want power even Edelbrock makes an aluminum set.

Bear_Gibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I'm used to the SBC 327 in my old Camaro. This Mopar stuff is expensive.
I can understand that, but that block was built from 55 to the early 2000s with minimal changes. Widely used as a hotrod engine. 5.2 / 5.9 heads can be located starting at 299 each assembled. A company out of texas has an ebay store. I have a set myself since 05/2016 with no issues.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jac04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm leaning toward selling this truck as-is. I really don't want to go through the hassle of parting it out, but is there any market for rust-free body parts for these 2nd generation trucks?

Bear_Gibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I'm leaning toward selling this truck as-is. I really don't want to go through the hassle of parting it out, but is there any market for rust-free body parts for these 2nd generation trucks?
Rust free trucks are hard to find here in Southeast Missouri

OP
OP
J

jac04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here are a few pics. One is the day my father bought it brand new back in 1994. The other was taken more recently. The silver paint is flaking, and I keep touching it up, but the picture makes it look fantastic.

See post #3 for some recent underbody & chassis pictures.

Dodge Ram 1.JPG 94 Dodge Ram 1500.jpg

Bear_Gibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Here are a few pics. One is the day my father bought it brand new back in 1994. The other was taken more recently. The silver paint is flaking, and I keep touching it up, but the picture makes it look fantastic.

See post #3 for some recent underbody & chassis pictures.

View attachment 241095 View attachment 241096
It looks brand new

Joe w.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
Nice looking truck shouldn't have any problems selling it if that's what you decide to do.

OP
OP
J

jac04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the kind words about the truck! I'm a little worried about trying to sell it "as-is" with a dead cylinder. I have no idea what I should even try to ask for it.

I would really like to see it go to someone who is going to fix it and use it versus parting it out. As I said, the truck belonged to my Dad. He bought it off the lot after someone ordered it and then decided they didn't want it. So, I'd like to see it continue to live on and be enjoyed.

Bear_Gibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Thanks for the kind words about the truck! I'm a little worried about trying to sell it "as-is" with a dead cylinder. I have no idea what I should even try to ask for it.

I would really like to see it go to someone who is going to fix it and use it versus parting it out. As I said, the truck belonged to my Dad. He bought it off the lot after someone ordered it and then decided they didn't want it. So, I'd like to see it continue to live on and be enjoyed.
It will depend on who you sell it to. Some people place more value on ole trucks than others. They always wanna talk you down for less anyways. Just put a number and go from there.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Sometimes i think somewhat out of the box.

To me your truck is to good to sell.

Would you mind spending the money to buy parts ?

Some High Schools back there, as well as Technical Schools have Auto Shop, they fix up vehicles, sometimes they work on the Students vehicles, but they also work on vehicles from the local area.

In Waterbury, they have Kaynor Tech

https://kaynor.cttech.org/programs/career-technical-education/automotive-technology/