Decision to make ASAP, 22” or 20” rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dogpatch

Senior Member - Ram Nut
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got rid of my 22’s on my Limited right away and put 20” rims on. More tire selection, tires are cheaper and it’s a smoother ride.CB4F05A6-478E-4B47-B18F-D504178F7575.jpeg

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2022 1500 Limited is in tomorrow! Problem is that it’s supposed to have 22” rims but it has the stock 20” rims on it. I need to decided, by tomorrow evening when I pick up the truck, if I want the keep the 20” rims or tell them to put the 22” rims on.

This is my daily driver, mostly around town (hills) some freeway and towing my pontoon boat in the summer.

I like the look of the 22” rims but they are a $2000 option. If I keep the 20” rims the dealer said he will cut me a check for the difference since I’ve already signed in financing. I would prefer to have him change the cost of the vehicle in financing rather than get a check so I’m not paying interest on that cost.

I also have dreams of blacking out the truck one day. I doubt I’ll do it but black chrome rims would be part of that equation.

What should I do? Right now I’m leaning toward keeping the 20” rims if they can alter the financed cost or cut me a check for $2000 + tax + interest.
Stay with the 20"s. Have had both on different RAMs and even on the same RAM. When I went to the 22s I had them on a 2016 RAM R/T. Sure made the ride a whole lot rougher, so went back to 20's, a set Ihad from a previous RAM. Then bought a 2021 RAM CrewCab that had the option 22's also. Tried the 20s, in the 275.55R20 BDG Rugged TGrail, they were much, m\uch better than the 22 Goodyears. My son also has a 2017 RAM Sport, with 20s. We even went so far as to put the 22s on it for a while and once again the stiffer ride just was not worth it. What a difference 2 inches makes. Good luck.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2022 1500 Limited is in tomorrow! Problem is that it’s supposed to have 22” rims but it has the stock 20” rims on it. I need to decided, by tomorrow evening when I pick up the truck, if I want the keep the 20” rims or tell them to put the 22” rims on.

This is my daily driver, mostly around town (hills) some freeway and towing my pontoon boat in the summer.

I like the look of the 22” rims but they are a $2000 option. If I keep the 20” rims the dealer said he will cut me a check for the difference since I’ve already signed in financing. I would prefer to have him change the cost of the vehicle in financing rather than get a check so I’m not paying interest on that cost.

I also have dreams of blacking out the truck one day. I doubt I’ll do it but black chrome rims would be part of that equation.

What should I do? Right now I’m leaning toward keeping the 20” rims if they can alter the financed cost or cut me a check for $2000 + tax + interest.
Actualluy, even tried 18s and tell you what I will probably go with them when I do the next tire change. 18s are a great trade off in ride, hauling, etc. Don't sell them short, you will not regret it. cheers

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
After dealing with this myself with Jeep and it was NEVER made right. I would sign NOTHING if I had it to do over again. It wasn't bad enough my 1st Jeep was a lemon and got bought back because it was flood damaged and they still sold it to me. But the 2nd Jeep was ordered with the North package and came with Limited wheels the are neither a offroad wheel or tire. I got burnt all the way around, so for me to trust FCA or a dealer again ain't gonna happen. Your idea of getting tax and interest as well is a good plan "IF" they are telling the truth. But I would get it up front.

Sully1960

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e Tourque
I purchased a 2021 1500 Longhorn Limited in December 2021. It came w/ 22" wheels and Goodyear Eagle touring tires. I like the look of the 22" tire and how it fills in the wheel wells. However, after the first winter, I made the decision to replace the tires before the following winter. The GY Eagles ran well 3 of 4 seasons, but were horrible in the winter. For 3 seasons the ride of the 22" Eagles was nice, smooth and comfortable. In November 2021 I replaced the GY Eagles with Michelin Defender LTX M/S. I had these same tires on the Silverado I owned prior to the Ram. Loved them on the Silverado, and love them on the Ram. Improved traction in snow without the heavy tread that will negatively impact fuel economy. Drive a truck w/ 20" & 22" if you can. Then make your own decision based on your experience. You know what the say, opinions are like a$$holes... everyone has one. But the only one that counts is yours. Seek out opinions, but always remember, no matter how objective the opinion giver tries to be, most opinions are colored by the user's own experience... which may differ from yours... Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Kanab Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
If you have 4 wheel drive and plan to do any off roading at all, I would recommend against 22" and even maybe 20". I've had too many pinched sidewall flats on my 20" wheels so changed to the 17" Rebel wheels and tires.

Bricknhank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Crew Cab,
Good decision keeping the 20’s over the 22’s. I know that someone posted that there’s as many tires available in 22” as in 20” but that wasn’t my experience. I dumped the 22” rims that came with my Longhorn and picked up a set of OEM 20” rims and the tire options were vastly better.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will see the real build sheet/window sticker tomorrow. This dealer grabbed it from inventory of a different dealer. I had specific need for Limited with no moonroof and there aren’t many of those. The original dealer ordered it with 22”s but then changed the order to 20”s somehow. The window sticker we worked off of did not reflect the change.

I think I’m going to keep the 20”s. I know I would like the 22s but the 20s are more practical and then the money saved will go toward my canopy.
I thought about 22's on my 16 sport so that i could have that filled in slortier look..I opted out cause of a roatation mass increase(harder on fuel and brakes) and decided to lower mine a lil for the look i like...
Well thats as far as i got cause a few posts i saw guys were saying the ride got a lil rougher and other posts about componets in the drive line and steering wearing quicker....
I didnt bother to research it cause i ended up buying my home and didnt have all the extra f u $ anymore..
It might be an option for you though..