Decision to make ASAP, 22” or 20” rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
My 2022 1500 Limited is in tomorrow! Problem is that it’s supposed to have 22” rims but it has the stock 20” rims on it. I need to decided, by tomorrow evening when I pick up the truck, if I want the keep the 20” rims or tell them to put the 22” rims on.

This is my daily driver, mostly around town (hills) some freeway and towing my pontoon boat in the summer.

I like the look of the 22” rims but they are a $2000 option. If I keep the 20” rims the dealer said he will cut me a check for the difference since I’ve already signed in financing. I would prefer to have him change the cost of the vehicle in financing rather than get a check so I’m not paying interest on that cost.

I also have dreams of blacking out the truck one day. I doubt I’ll do it but black chrome rims would be part of that equation.

What should I do? Right now I’m leaning toward keeping the 20” rims if they can alter the financed cost or cut me a check for $2000 + tax + interest.

rachabot

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-T
Just got my 2022 Ram 1500 Laramie G/T 4x4 with the Black 22's. Looks amazing. Pirelli's are quiet, ride is pretty good for this type tire and rim combo.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I would make them re-do the loan. They are just being lazy. If it seems like too much a hassle just take the 2k check and pay it towards the truck. You only pay interest on the "balance" so you are not paying more in interest if you put it right towards the priniciple.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
I am confused what you are asking, does the build sheet and sticker say 22 or 20? Do not ask the dealer, what does the build sheet say?

Did you finance the thing without it being onsite?

You should not have ever gone through finance if the "thing" you are buying is not there.

Again, need more info...

If the truck had the 22s and they swapped them, I would bail
If the truck was supposed to have the 22s and came with 20s that is all you should ever sign to finance in the first place.

OP
OP
wsutard1

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
I am confused what you are asking, does the build sheet and sticker say 22 or 20? Do not ask the dealer, what does the build sheet say?

Did you finance the thing without it being onsite?

You should not have ever gone through finance if the "thing" you are buying is not there.

Again, need more info...

If the truck had the 22s and they swapped them, I would bail
If the truck was supposed to have the 22s and came with 20s that is all you should ever sign to finance in the first place.
I will see the real build sheet/window sticker tomorrow. This dealer grabbed it from inventory of a different dealer. I had specific need for Limited with no moonroof and there aren’t many of those. The original dealer ordered it with 22”s but then changed the order to 20”s somehow. The window sticker we worked off of did not reflect the change.

I think I’m going to keep the 20”s. I know I would like the 22s but the 20s are more practical and then the money saved will go toward my canopy.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
22's have almost no tire options, the 20's are a much more versatile option. I would go 20's
There are plenty of tire options for 22s just like on 20s but I wouldn't put 22s on my 1500 just for the fact that I like more sidewall, tire ... 22s are more heavier though some by up to 10lbs more which is actually a huge difference ....

Stick with the 20s, use it towards you canopy or another mod ...you won't regret it ..

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There are options, but not many as far as a heavier load capacity - at least on tire rack.
The highest load option they have is XL and a capacity of only 2600 lbs. Which is less than the standard load range on the 20's.
At least in the stock size, there are a couple of other options in other sizes but no nearly as many.

And as you point out, the extra weight is a negative.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Having owned 22's, I'd recommend the 20's. Actually, I switched to 18's on my Limited. I don't like having the worry about curb rash, and like being able to just pull up onto the curb/sidewalk when parallel parking LOL. Run pedestrians!

Seriously though, the stock tires that come with the 22's on a Limited suck. And I like a truck with a bit of sidewall. I don't want a mall cruiser. Here's my Limited with blacked out Rebel 18 inch wheels. I love the look. I'll love it even more when I get my black lug nuts installed.
New tires 3_LI.jpg

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2022 1500 Limited is in tomorrow! Problem is that it’s supposed to have 22” rims but it has the stock 20” rims on it. I need to decided, by tomorrow evening when I pick up the truck, if I want the keep the 20” rims or tell them to put the 22” rims on.

This is my daily driver, mostly around town (hills) some freeway and towing my pontoon boat in the summer.

I like the look of the 22” rims but they are a $2000 option. If I keep the 20” rims the dealer said he will cut me a check for the difference since I’ve already signed in financing. I would prefer to have him change the cost of the vehicle in financing rather than get a check so I’m not paying interest on that cost.

I also have dreams of blacking out the truck one day. I doubt I’ll do it but black chrome rims would be part of that equation.

What should I do? Right now I’m leaning toward keeping the 20” rims if they can alter the financed cost or cut me a check for $2000 + tax + interest.
You could just take the check and put is towards the loan principal and there wouldn't be any extra interest.

IvoryHemi

Reaction score
The highest load option they have is XL and a capacity of only 2600 lbs. Which is less than the standard load range on the 20's.

That’s incorrect.

The factory “SL” bridgestone dueler h/l alenza 275/55r20 tires have a lower load index of 111 (2,403 lbs) vs the factory “XL” 285/45/22’s load index of 114 (2,601 lbs)

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would make them re-do the loan. They are just being lazy. If it seems like too much a hassle just take the 2k check and pay it towards the truck. You only pay interest on the "balance" so you are not paying more in interest if you put it right towards the priniciple.
DITTO ^^^ Keep the 20" and pay the $2K back onto the principle. Besides, there are a lot better choices for 20" tires and rims, IMHO...(ref future changes)

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That’s incorrect.

The factory “SL” bridgestone dueler h/l alenza 275/55r20 tires have a lower load index of 111 (2,403 lbs) vs the factory “XL” 285/45/22’s load index of 114 (2,601 lbs)
It might depend on the tire and I was looking at 275/60/20 which is stock on most years, keep forgetting they went smaller on later models. The 275/60/20's SL have a 115 load rating on most of the brands I looked at .

But you are correct, many of the 275/55/20 SL have a load index of 111 or 113, which is slightly lower than the XL 22's.

Last edited:

rjatta87

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7L
There are plenty of tire options for 22s just like on 20s but I wouldn't put 22s on my 1500 just for the fact that I like more sidewall, tire ... 22s are more heavier though some by up to 10lbs more which is actually a huge difference ....

Stick with the 20s, use it towards you canopy or another mod ...you won't regret it ..
I have a 22 Limited on order and ordered the 22s. I like the look of them better than the stock 20s, but I am with you on liking more sidewall. I had a 19 Limited with 22s and they were tore up from curbs (after letting the wife drive it while on deployment). It ride really nice and I have never driven one with the stock 20s. Do the 20s ride better? Should I save the $2000 and put towards better looking 20s instead of the paying for 22s? I mainly got the 22s bc they fill in the wheel well better. But would the extra sidewall of 20s actually look/ride better?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
I have a 22 Limited on order and ordered the 22s. I like the look of them better than the stock 20s, but I am with you on liking more sidewall. I had a 19 Limited with 22s and they were tore up from curbs (after letting the wife drive it while on deployment). It ride really nice and I have never driven one with the stock 20s. Do the 20s ride better? Should I save the $2000 and put towards better looking 20s instead of the paying for 22s? I mainly got the 22s bc they fill in the wheel well better. But would the extra sidewall of 20s actually look/ride better?

When I got my truck with the stock 20s it rode fine, smooth no problems ... I did however go with 20x12s on 37" tires and it rides better than stock .... my Pops has his 2020 5th gen on 22s I believe and he says the ride is no where near as smooth as on my lifted truck lol ... he went to dealer to get his first oil change and he test drove some 1500s on 20s and 22s and he said he noticed the difference between the two .. he likes the way it feels better on the 20s which I figure he would ... that extra sidewall does make a difference

steveTS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 2500
Engine
cummins Diesel

Keep the 20's and take the family on a great vacation! Or yourself! 22's are more expensive to replace too. There seems to be no reason other than looks then keep it the way it is!

However, if every time you look at it you question your decision, then get the 22's as yours is only opinion that matters!

Odabeaux

Reaction score
Good thread.
I am about to order a 2500, anyone with experience with 20 vs. 22 inch rims on the 3/4 ton?
My plan was to go with 22's but more side wall and a smoother ride seem to be solid reasons to go with 20's.
*This will be my first RAM and first 3/4 ton truck.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Good thread.
I am about to order a 2500, anyone with experience with 20 vs. 22 inch rims on the 3/4 ton?
My plan was to go with 22's but more side wall and a smoother ride seem to be solid reasons to go with 20's.
*This will be my first RAM and first 3/4 ton truck.
I would still go with 20s even on a 2500 ... more weight on less tire if you go with a 22 even if it's an E rated tire, i wouldn't like that feeling lol .... trust me go with the 20s you wont regret it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atomota