Dedicated 6.4 Hemi Exhaust Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The only way I see a true dual being done right is buying a universal stainless kit and cut/weld everything together. Otherwise you're going to end up with a crush bent, non-stainless setup which certainly wouldn't be worth that kind of money. But even so, for the right person and the time it would take to measure, fit and mount everything, I'd say the cost isn't so far off what I've seen. At least not by me.

Regarding the H vs X it's really mostly about the sound. The H pipe will sound a little more classic-Amerian muscle, which is why I usually prefer it over an X. I've never seen one make any real gain over the other simply by changing the crossover.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
I had this done to my 5.7L 2500 and I might do it to the 6.4L that I will be getting soon but I don't know if the 6.4L the same.

This is what came off..

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
The only way I see a true dual being done right is buying a universal stainless kit and cut/weld everything together. Otherwise you're going to end up with a crush bent, non-stainless setup which certainly wouldn't be worth that kind of money. But even so, for the right person and the time it would take to measure, fit and mount everything, I'd say the cost isn't so far off what I've seen. At least not by me.

Regarding the H vs X it's really mostly about the sound. The H pipe will sound a little more classic-Amerian muscle, which is why I usually prefer it over an X. I've never seen one make any real gain over the other simply by changing the crossover.

Yeah it's probably been 4 or 5 years since I have duels put on & that was down in Knoxville, TN & that was on a 4.7 Dakota. I think I paid $400 for FM 40 Series. Cut everything off after the converters & installed new 2" (I think) pipe to the back bumper. There is obviously more pipe for this install as well as the 50 Series that I want is more expensive.
I am only considering the X or H pipe since they are already gonna be in there so if it adds a few more HP for just a few more bucks I am in. From all that I have read the H Pipe is the one I would want. Gives it that deeper growl & is more for lower reving engines.

PWR-WAGN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Going to talk to the exhaust shop tomorrow. Hopefully, get her installed tomorrow or Friday.

12905034_1721184668160851_499385229_n.jpg

For anyone wondering, I'm installing the Magnaflow 12589 - it's 14" inches overall - 3 inch inlet and outlet.

BoldAdventure,

Looks like I'm going to do a similar set-up on my 2016 PW, except with the 12909 (3.5" I/O) and dumped with a black tip in current resonator position.

I love the sound of yours and when I found the link it kind of sealed the deal on my decision.

If you don't mind, two quick questions for you...

1) Are you still liking the sound?

2) How much stainless pipe did your exhaust shop have to add in front of the Magnaflow muffler? (just wondering if a few inches of excess from the resonator to end of tail pipe section will be enough).

Thanks!

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
BoldAdventure,

Looks like I'm going to do a similar set-up on my 2016 PW, except with the 12909 (3.5" I/O) and dumped with a black tip in current resonator position.

I love the sound of yours and when I found the link it kind of sealed the deal on my decision.

If you don't mind, two quick questions for you...

1) Are you still liking the sound?

2) How much stainless pipe did your exhaust shop have to add in front of the Magnaflow muffler? (just wondering if a few inches of excess from the resonator to end of tail pipe section will be enough).

Thanks!

He didn't more than 12 inches, I'd say even less from appearances. Charged me $200 out the door, with excellent welds.

I still like the sound. I think I still like the sound of duals better. But this still sounds good for what it is. Even with all the towing I do. Wish I had known about the 12909 but oh well.

Good luck with your install. :favorites13:

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
He didn't more than 12 inches, I'd say even less from appearances. Charged me $200 out the door, with excellent welds.

I still like the sound. I think I still like the sound of duals better. But this still sounds good for what it is. Even with all the towing I do. Wish I had known about the 12909 but oh well.

Do you have any pics?

PWR-WAGN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4

BoldAdventure,

Thanks for the reply and feedback!

After taking some measurements, it looks like 12" of pipe will be more than enough. I was referred to a guy locally that does custom exhaust fabrication (mostly on turbo imports) and we both agreed that using stainless V-bands and a small section of pipe would be the best way to get everything to line up since the 12909's offset isn't a perfect match for stock. Once I get it all installed this coming weekend, I'll post some pics.

PWR-WAGN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
I forgot to mention this in my last post...

For anyone considering a resonator delete w/22" Magnaflow swap (or similar sized muffler) dumped right after the last exhaust hanger, there should be enough 3.5" pipe in the straight section from the resonator to the tip to use as filler in front of the muffler during install. It would take some clean cutting, but the measurements are there. I realized this after I cut a few inches off the tailpipe to install a new tip when I first got the truck........:mad:

PWR-WAGN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Ok... finished up my install this past weekend. Muffler swap with Magnaflow 12909 dumped where the OEM resonator used to reside. After discussing things with my installer, I decided to use two small sections of new stainless pipe fore and aft of the muffler with stainless V-bands as the connections to help pull everything into alignment. Reused one of the existing hanger points and rods welded up to the Magnaflow. I still need to refinish the tip and add some high-temp coating over its weld to prevent corrosion.

Overall the sound is somewhat aggressive when I romp on it with minor drone around 1800 RPM. Nothing I can't live with though as I truly love the sound of the Magnaflow. My HEMI sounds like a big V-8 now!

The pics show everything working from the back to the front with inboard and outboard views.

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 261
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 205
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 173
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 202
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 177

ForceofWill

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 CC Trades
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks for posting that. That system has a resonator, right? Sounds pretty mild, which is what I have been looking for. Have you towed with it?

It's pretty mild for an aftermarket and yes it does have a smaller blow through resonator in between the muffler and tips.

I've only towed smaller trailers so far and don't notice a difference in sound.

wrench04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lots of great info here. Im torn between Magnaflow and Flowmaster. I want a deep sound but no drone as I pull a 30ft travel trailer with my Power Wagon. Has anyone installed the headers for the 6.4L and if so do they make much difference?

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have ARH LT headers on my truck and yes, they make a huge difference in performance. With the stock cat-back installed you won't hear much of any difference over stock, just a little more mechanical noise coming through. With the MF 19200 cat back, it's much more aggressive, and you will hear a small amount of drone when under load. It's honestly not intrusive, but if you don't want to hear any exhaust noise at all when towing on the highway I would skip the muffler and just start with the headers. The issue with mufflers is very few companies make a 3.5" in/out and those that due tend to be more drone prone (MF, Flowmaster).

Nice truck, pics?

Will Ram 2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Lots of great info here. Im torn between Magnaflow and Flowmaster. I want a deep sound but no drone as I pull a 30ft travel trailer with my Power Wagon. Has anyone installed the headers for the 6.4L and if so do they make much difference?

No drone on my Flowmaster Original 40 Series. Only thing close to it would be when it goes into MDS, but that's not even bad. I'm the one that posted the pics in this thread of true duals dumped in front of the axle with 2.5 inch piping. Seems like most ******** about drone are running Magnaflow. Mine have gotten louder over time and love the sound now that they have gotten louder.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I find it interesting that when I was in the fbody scene, everyone said the flowmaster droned more. That was my personal experience too. Everyone said run magnaflows for no drone. Shoot I even ran true duals and xpipe with 14" magnaflows dumped under the back seato and the drone wasn't as bad as the flowmaster catback it had before.

wrench04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Think I may just save up and do the complete system starting wth the headers instead of doing things twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk