Dedicated snow tires!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Udy2554

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just received my first set of dedicated snow tires!

I’ve run 35x12.5” Duratracs for 2 winters now(35x12.5” KM3s for summer)! At 10,000+ miles on them, There’s is still decent tread left, but not enough for me to be comfy on the snow and ice around here(though it’s been VERY mild so far this year)! The Duratracs wear fast on my PW! (Were AWESOME on my Tacoma!!!)

Anyhow, I ended up ordering a set of Nokian Hakkapelliitas...studded! They are D rated, not available in E!

Anyone here have any experience with them? Reviews have been decent!

It’s my first time going dedicated snows instead of an AT with the Extreme Snow symbol! (Three Peak Mountain/Snow Flake)

5-315 70 17s will go on the factory wheels!

98302728-F251-4D58-8F2C-1AE5A49DC0C0.jpeg B74AD712-5848-45CB-9B74-7F8820F4DD11.jpeg D6308496-36E6-4A51-A110-36B6D8D54D64.jpeg 9359DBDF-077E-4E2E-BF4E-73BF9960E9E6.jpeg

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My brother ran hakkas on his car. They gripped really well in the snow. I run studded hankook ipikes on my truck and its a huge difference vs running all terrains like I used to in the winter

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
WOW yea those babies are gonna hook like no other in the snow. They seem a bit wide for a snow tire, but with all those sipes and studs they are just gonna work!

Keep us posted!

Jesse Lackman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
We run those on our AWD Jaguar in the winter. It's an awesome winter car.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Several years ago I purchased 4 for a Honda Fit used for pizza delivery in metro Denver. On the OEM tires it slid around, whereas, it firmly gripped the road with the studded Hakkapellitas.

OpusRS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You will love the studded tires no matter the manufacturer. I have run studded tires on front wheel drive car lake racing and they are fantastic. I wish we could run them on the roads in MN. Not sure why studs are not legal in MN because we typically deal with a lot of icy/snowpacked roads.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You will love the studded tires no matter the manufacturer. I have run studded tires on front wheel drive car lake racing and they are fantastic. I wish we could run them on the roads in MN. Not sure why studs are not legal in MN because we typically deal with a lot of icy/snowpacked roads.

Same here, Michigan does not allow studded tires. Makes no sense!

I would not hesitate using them though...seems like you would be hard pressed to actually get a citation for it I would think. At least in my area.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
put nokian on my car couple month ago. no complaint at all

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
The studded Nokians I purchased were for a young woman (friend of my family) living at our home temporary during a winter whom had a pizza delivery job. The Nokians worked excellent. Within a week she drove her car to Florida to live with her Grandma. She traded in the Nokians for some cheap not studded tires.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Udy2554

Udy2554

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for all the replies!

We got some heavy, wet snow today...and a huge drop in temps! Clear, dry pavement at 2:30...2”-3” wet, slushy snow by 3:30-4! Heavy snow on icy surfaces by 5!

My service van is on Cooper Snow Claws...no issues on the roads...except for all the people who drive on worn all-seasons!:banghead:

I got to pull my equipment trailer with all 10 tires to the tire shop! I became the idiot on 35” KM3s on the icy surfaces! Not a horrible ride, but I live in curves and hills!

Tomorrow I will pick up the Hakkapelliitas on the factory wheels! The Duratracs(35x12.5) will be up for sale!

Wish I had the time to have them mounted sooner! Today would’ve been PERFECT for a test!

bpgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great choice for snow tires. The studs will make the biggest difference, especially in icy conditions.
I have hakkapeliitta r3's on my car and can say they made a significant difference in handling than my all-season tires (studless). Not bad for a 'russian' tire ;)

(hint: not that it matters, but not all nokian tires are made in Finland)

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
Five years ago my mechanic suggested studded Hakkies on our Toyota Solara. They were expensive. Within two weeks I was convinced they were worth every penny. I had to drive 500 miles in a 12 to 18 inches of snow I-90, 81 and NY Rt 17 in NY were both hard packed snow and ice. We drove around ditched and crashed 4 wheel drive SUVs, pickups, tractor trailers, and other cars for two days. They are solid GD good tires.

Studded Nokian Hakkapelliitas are without a doubt the absolute best snow tires on the market. Not only will your truck be able to go in the snow and ice, but it will stop too.

OP
OP
Udy2554

Udy2554

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great choice for snow tires. The studs will make the biggest difference, especially in icy conditions.
I have hakkapeliitta r3's on my car and can say they made a significant difference in handling than my all-season tires (studless). Not bad for a 'russian' tire ;)

(hint: not that it matters, but not all nokian tires are made in Finland)

They’re ALL quite a ways up in the northern hemisphere, a long ways from the Equator! The know their snowy roads!:rolleyes:

OP
OP
Udy2554

Udy2554

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Five years ago my mechanic suggested studded Hakkies on our Toyota Solara. They were expensive. Within two weeks I was convinced they were worth every penny. I had to drive 500 miles in a 12 to 18 inches of snow I-90, 81 and NY Rt 17 in NY were both hard packed snow and ice. We drove around ditched and crashed 4 wheel drive SUVs, pickups, tractor trailers, and other cars for two days. They are solid GD good tires.

Studded Nokian Hakkapelliitas are without a doubt the absolute best snow tires on the market. Not only will your truck be able to go in the snow and ice, but it will stop too.

These are the things I like to hear!