Dedicated snow tires!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Might just buck up for he LT3 if nothing else they should be more puncture resistant. I go studded regardless. Restricted on what months I can run them, but I wouldn't want to run snows year round anyways.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Yeah, well that's what chains are for.

CDOT (Colorado Department of Transportation) has a Traction Code 16 which requires that every vehicle including 4x4's use chains/traction devices. I seldom have seen it used, so I carry chains, but don't use them. When it gets that bad for Code 16, they close the highway. Going south isn't an option today.

AVALANCHE CONTROL alert_incident_minimal_16x16.png
CO 65 Southbound / Northbound Grand Mesa (Milemarker 28-35)
  • Road closed. Use alternate route
    Last Updated: 02/13/2021 8:15 PM
02/14/2021 5:25 AM

Last edited:

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
CDOT (Colorado Department of Transportation) has a Traction Code 16 which requires that every vehicle including 4x4's use chains/traction devices. I seldom have seen it used, so I carry chains, but don't use them. When it gets that bad for Code 16, they close the highway. Going south isn't an option today.

AVALANCHE CONTROL alert_incident_minimal_16x16.png
CO 65 Southbound / Northbound Grand Mesa (Milemarker 28-35)
  • Road closed. Use alternate route
    Last Updated: 02/13/2021 8:15 PM
02/14/2021 5:25 AM
Here it's either snow tires or carry chains up to a certain weight. I think it's around 11000kg gvw that you must carry chains. I carry chains year round for heavy snow in the winter and for wet/slippery hard pack clay in the spring/fall.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Here it's either snow tires or carry chains up to a certain weight. I think it's around 11000kg gvw that you must carry chains. I carry chains year round for heavy snow in the winter and for wet/slippery hard pack clay in the spring/fall.

It looks like for the official Code 16 that I don't need chains today for my Power Wagon even though it's implemented, but then there's the SECRET Code 16 on the same CDOT website. It states that I "must have chains" for my 4x4, but it doesn't state "need" chains. The short worded chain requirement signs are even more confusing when you're driving pass them at 75 MPH. I have never used chains on Colorado highways.

Code 16/Passenger Chain Law: All passenger vehicles need chains, except for 4WD and AWD vehicles with all-weather tires with 3/16 inch tread depth.

SECRET Code 16:
Passenger Vehicle Chain Law
During severe winter storms, CDOT will implement the Passenger Vehicle Chain Law. This is the final safety measure before the highway is closed.

When the Passenger Vehicle Chain Law is in effect, every vehicle must have chains or an approved alternative traction device.

Last edited:

SkeeterBait

Reaction score
The Birthplace Town of the "Jersey Devil"
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It looks like for the official Code 16 that I don't need chains today for my Power Wagon even though it's implemented, but then there's the SECRET Code 16 on the same CDOT website. It states that I "must have chains" for my 4x4, but it doesn't state "need" chains. The short worded chain requirement signs are even more confusing when you're driving pass them at 75 MPH. I have never used chains on Colorado highways.

Code 16/Passenger Chain Law: All passenger vehicles need chains, except for 4WD and AWD vehicles with all-weather tires with 3/16 inch tread depth.

SECRET Code 16:
Passenger Vehicle Chain Law
During severe winter storms, CDOT will implement the Passenger Vehicle Chain Law. This is the final safety measure before the highway is closed.

When the Passenger Vehicle Chain Law is in effect, every vehicle must have chains or an approved alternative traction device.
Well... OK then. Seems like only SOME of the CDOT officials are "Pot Heads" lol

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Well... OK then. Seems like only SOME of the CDOT officials are "Pot Heads" lol

They even built some charts with incorrect information for 4x4's this winter season. Luckily for us it's for the majority (90%) of the population whom live some 250 miles away on the otherside of the Rockies.

The fine for not complying can be over $640 for passenger vehicles. How do I know that? CDOT installed a large digital sign out here on a remote section of our east bound I-70 warning travelers about the fines for noncompliance.

f234eb39-bb33-4d59-b287-30dd313d49f2_1920x1080.jpg

https://www.9news.com/article/trave...-laws/73-ada6103d-252d-4bc7-ab3b-86f3036704a5

Last edited:

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
I saw it on a Colorado I-70 traffic message board yesterday. The snow traction laws are in effect as of September 1st. If you're headed through the Colorado Rockies to Moab, be prepared with a minimum of 3/16" tread depth on your Power Wagon tires.

Overall, Colorado has among the strictest chain laws, which begin earlier in the season than those of any other state.

Colorado’s chain law applies to every state, federal and interstate highway within its borders from Sept. 1 through May 31.