DEF Fluid Life

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blazin383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I just bought a 19 3500. I don't know the manufacture date, but I'm pretty sure it's been around a while. I have about 500 miles on the truck now and of course it's still got over 3/4 tank of DEF.

I've done a little research on DEF going bad and causing drivability issues, and, on occasion even requiring an expensive dealer visit. From what I've learned, the DEF can go bad as quickly as a couple months, depending on the temperature etc.

Does the factory fill the DEF tank, or was it filled at the time I took delivery and the dealership filled the fuel tank for me? I never test drove this truck because the dealership did a dealer swap to get it for me and had it ready to go when I got there, full of fuel and DEF. When did the DEF tank get filled?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If the DEF tank is completely full, it didn't leave the factory that way. Most likely your dealer filled it for delivery.
DEF should be good for a year to two if the temperature isn't extreme. Most likely it will be fine.
If your concerned about it, you should be able to siphon it out easily enough and refill, the tank hold 5 gallons.

superjoe83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The dealer most likely filled it when you bought it, when I test drove my '18 it had 8 miles on it and the low fuel light was on and the DEF gauge was practically in the red. As I was signing the papers they had it washed and filled the DEF and fuel tank.

I wouldn't worry about it, depending on how much you drive or tow you will burn through that tank of DEF in a month or two

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
The factory puts just enough fuel and DEF to wet the tank, and get through a few load/unload cycles on its way to the dealer. Heck, in the powersports business units would regularly run out of fuel while being unloaded. Your dealer, no doubt, added DEF.

OP
OP
Blazin383

Blazin383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Thanks, that's good to know! The 2015 2500 I traded in only had 28,000 miles on it, so I obviously don't put a lot of miles on my truck, maybe 5,000 a year, so I really don't want to be fighting outdated DEF issues all the time!

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
From Peak
https://www.peakhd.com/lifeblood/fluid-thinking/a-guide-to-def-storage-contamination/

A GUIDE TO DEF STORAGE & CONTAMINATION

Diesel Exhaust Fluid is a vital component in today’s emissions compliant engine. It’s a non-hazardous, non-toxic, non-flammable material that lowers NOx concentrations.

DEF does not pose any serious health risks to people, so it is safe to handle. However, in order to get the most out of DEF there are a few procedures your employees need to follow when it comes to storage:

• • DEF should not be stored in direct sunlight. Ideal storage is in a cool, dry ventilated place.
  • • The best temperature for storing DEF is 77°F. Higher temperatures will not affect the quality of the DEF, but will impact its shelf life. The quality of DEF also is not affected if the fluid freezes. When stored under optimal conditions — between 12°F and 86°F — DEF has a shelf life of up to two years. If stored in warmer temperatures, shelf life decreases.
  • • DEF containers are date coded so you can easily determine the date the DEF was made, which will help you determine if it is still suitable for use in your vehicles.
Contamination

It is imperative that DEF be kept clean from contamination. ISO 22241 provides product purity standards including quality specification for the water used with the urea to form DEF. DEF is comprised of 32.5% urea and 67.5% de-ionized water.

Contaminated DEF can cause problems with the Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) system, and can cause premature water pump and injector wear. Contaminated DEF can also leave gummy deposits on the catalyst. Repairing or replacing the SCR unit can be quite costly. You should take every precaution to avoid using contaminated DEF.

To prevent DEF from becoming contaminated make sure the pumps and containers you use with it are not used with other fluids. If you have to clean DEF fueling or storage equipment, do so with de-ionized water to avoid contaminating the DEF.

DEF cannot be stored in containers made of carbon steel, copper or alloys that contain copper or zinc-coated steels.

When choosing a DEF supplier look for one that uses a closed-loop system that provides evidence of tampering. Closed systems use a valve coupling system that seals the opening of the container to prevent contaminants from entering. On the other hand, an open system container lacks this valve, which makes it easier for dirt and other debris to get into the storage container.

If you suspect the DEF has become contaminated, do not use it. You can use a DEF refractometer to test the purity of DEF. A refractometer is designed to measure the concentration of water-soluble fluids. It works by measuring the refractive index, which is the speed at which light passes through a liquid. To check the purity of DEF, apply a few drops to a refractometer that is capable of measuring urea concentrations. They are available in single and dual-scale models. The single scale version shows the percentage of urea by weight, while the dual-scale unit also provides a refractive index scale reading. A single scale version is fine when checking for water dilution.

If the concentration of urea to water is incorrect, do not use the DEF as it can harm your vehicle.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Oh yeah, even though I used Peak as info, I use the WallyWorld stuff. Since the DEF tanks are 5.5 gals, I get a refill (2.5 gals) when at half. On avg I have to top off every 2k miles/2 months. So I keep 2 spares and rotate them them FIFO.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
DEF is most vulnerable when exposed to UV as with the large tranlucent tanks of DEF that sit outdoors at the dealers' shops. It is a solution of urea and water and is highly unlikely to go bad.

I think it is a scam when there is a problem with the DEF system and the dealer blames the truck owner for having bad DEF rather than a failed part with the DEF tank, including the tank warmer and sensors that can generate the same error codes.

namusmc65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
Well, I have had to replace scr system at a cost of over 2,ooo. Six months later and I am getting an error codes that says it has gone out again. I am using DEF purchased from NAPA so I would think it is a good quality. First time injector had gone bad and they said that had caused the problem. Don't know what they will say this time. I do see where there is a class action lawsuit in regards to the SCR system being faulty and having to be replaced or repaired. Anyone else experiencing this. I am driving a 2015 2500 6.7L Ram with less than 100,000 miles on it.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It annoys me that the tanks do not have drains. With our excavators we go through a 2.5 gallon jug a day per machine running 24/7 so it's not going bad, but they sit for months in the off season so I'd prefer fresh stuff especially with all the issues we run into with the systems.That said it should last at least a year even if conditions are less than optimal.

Darron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins diesel
I have been advised to fill DEF at a high volume truck stop as it is likely to be fresher... er, more fresh. Don't know if that makes a real difference but it seems logical enough.

JEFF MANN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ECODIESEL
For about 25 bucks you can buy a refractometer that will let you check your DEF before you put it in your tank.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The truck stop stuff is high turnover so will be pretty fresh. However, always check the nozzle for cleanliness in case the last guy set it on the ground or something.

Norman Svarrer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My DEF use is much like Wy-Dave's. My truck came filled with MOPAR(?) DEF provided by the dealer. I have used Walmart brand and truck stop pumps since then. My neighbor just told me that Walmart brand does not have the ISO22241 label, which is supposed to be an important statement on the quality. I'm going to check the DEF jug the next time I'm at Walmart.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
My DEF use is much like Wy-Dave's. My truck came filled with MOPAR(?) DEF provided by the dealer. I have used Walmart brand and truck stop pumps since then. My neighbor just told me that Walmart brand does not have the ISO22241 label, which is supposed to be an important statement on the quality. I'm going to check the DEF jug the next time I'm at Walmart.

I just bought a refractometer to check the water:urea ratio. Going to test the next bottle from Wally for S&Gs.

Peak Blue DEF
def1.JPG

Wally - API cert is API cert? No ISO listing on the back
def2.JPG

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I just bought a refractometer to check the water:urea ratio. Going to test the next bottle from Wally for S&Gs.

Peak Blue DEF

Wally - API cert is API cert? No ISO listing on the back

As promised, picked up WallyWorld Def (3/1/21) dated and put it on the brand new refractometer. And 32.5 on the button. I used my phone for the pic so it is a lil blurry. I forgot to get distilled water to calibrate it.

20210310_161429.jpg

Last edited:

GeometryFletch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
my dad had the same concern but just ran it. i agree with siphoning it if concerned but my thought is ran that thang