DEF Gone in 2020?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
I heard a rumor that they're getting rid of DEF in 2020. If this is true, do you think we'll be able to delete that garbage from our trucks?

Punishher7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I heard a rumor that they're getting rid of DEF in 2020. If this is true, do you think we'll be able to delete that garbage from our trucks?

Even if they find a way to eliminate DEF/SCR in future builds, no way you’ll ever be “legal” to remove it from a truck (factory equipped w/ DEF/SCR) when driven on public roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Kapt

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
I figured as much. Bummer

woofie2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 v6
VW tweaked the system to bypass the Emissions on their 2.0L diesel, because 2.0L was the largest motor size the EPA would allow to run without the DEF/SCR system.

unless they come up with a new catalytic converter I doubt there will be any changes.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
People don't appreciate that diesel is a very dirty fuel. That is why fuel filters have a so much shorter life than with ones that are filtering gasoline. Even if the filter traps 97.8% of the particle in the diesel that still leaves 240,000 particles going into the engine and out the exhaust with each gallon burned. A lot of new systems were needed to try too minimize the harmful effects of diesel exhaust while allowing their continued use in cars and trucks.

The reality is that diesels are great for the manufacturers with large trucks and SUV's that are low mpg vehicles but also exceedingly profitable ones to make and sell, and still meet the federal CAFE fleet overall mpg figures. The customers pay for the higher cost to purchase and operate and maintain and repair the diesel engines and the manufacturers get to sell more trucks.

It is right that the federal government should be working to minimize air pollution that puts people into the hospitals and that they should be working to maximize fuel economy. After all the federal government spends more than $1 trillion of taxpayers' money (for those of us that pay taxes) to maintain the flow of oil from around the world (with more than 750 active bases). What I pay for fuel at the pumps is peanuts compared to what I pay in taxes to maintain the military war machine that serves the interests of the oil companies and their owners.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
Well that is all your opinion and that is all that it is.
On top of that I'd rather MY taxes went to maintaining a strong military,
I don't need to be supporting a bunch of leeches.
And chicken littles, the sky is falling.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
the u.s. has maintained bases around the world mostly to prevent another world war that we would have to send our guys to. europeans didnt seem to mind having a large scale war once every generation or so. also having bases in key locations enables us to position assets if needed. I too feel that many of those countries are wealthy enough thanx to our protection, to provide for their own defense and us to scale back and spend that money on our own folks. they tax the crap out of their people in return for a lot of "free" stuff so I say they should carry the burden of their own defense. we are actually able to provide all our own oil nowadays if we need to. IMHO