DEF: New to DEF Diesels...advice please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAMVANMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 Pentastar
I just got my 2020 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. This is my first DEF diesel. I have watched the online MOPAR training videos and there is one on refilling DEF but not much more.
However, I am not finding much on how to know when to add DEF and what to expect on consumption.Is there a DEF level readout for the instrument cluster or will I get a low level warning? Also what brands and prices best? Will the fuel station search find DEF stations?
Any help appreciated.
RAMVANMAN

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You should have a DEF gauge on your dash. Just add some when it starts to get low. Not sure what the consumption of a ECO diesel is but on my cummins I add a 2.5 gallon jug about every 3 months or so? Towing my consumption is a little higher.

blahargoue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
There should be a gauge that looks a lot like a second fuel gauge. My '17 EcoDiesel goes approx 8000 miles on a tank. But I never run it that long. I add a 2.5 gallon jug whenever I drop below 1/2 tank.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
All DEF is the same, it’s just urea in distilled water. Walmart is usually the cheapest in jugs. Don’t be fooled into believing one brand is better than any other. Do check the seals on the lids before purchase. Occasionally you hear of jugs filled with water and returned to the store.

At truck stops there are bulk pumps but for a small vehicle it’s more bother than it’s worth because most won’t have pay at the pump without a fleet card.

OP
OP
R

RAMVANMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 Pentastar
Thanks for all the tips....thought that was another fuel guage, wondered why there where so many. Becasue of COVID did not spend time in vehicle getting the usual rundown by dealer.

scubaseth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Don't take it down to empty. I usually fill mine just under half a tank. I usually grab blue def for $8 or 9 bucks in the northwest.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

RAMVANMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 Pentastar
Found the guage. They gave me the truck with it only half full....what is the capacity?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Found the guage. They gave me the truck with it only half full....what is the capacity?
Def capacity for the 2020 EcoDiesel:
5.14 gallons for Rebel and Tradesman
All other models are 5.74 gallons

As for when to refill, the dash will warn you your getting low, some wait till then and others will top off with box when they get low. I prefer to use the truck stop DEF pump.
If you live in a climate that will drop below 15°F on a regular basis it's it good idea to not fully fill the tank during those months. The slush point of DEF is 12°F, the tank and lines have heaters to thaw it for use.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Wally world DEF user (2.5g) for about 28k miles. It flies off the shelf so fast there is no worry about expiration dates (but still check). With the 5ish gal/ tanks, just wait to get a tick below half and buy a jug.

Usage is variable, heavier loads use more. I get about 2500 miles per fillup as a daily driver.

Iceclimber

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Yeah I use the Wally World brand cause it's the cheapest. If you let it run out the truck will warn you then disable itself.

I let it run down to an 1/8 a tank or whatever then add. Don't overfill it.