DEF question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
From the middle link:
The EPA is getting very serious about emissions tampering. Because of this you’re probably not going to find a shop who will install a delete for you. Additionally, you might even find a few who won’t work on your truck at all. Outside of this you will lose any warranty you might have.

Other considerations are resale value and cost of deleting the system. It does require a DPF-capable tuner which can add $500+ to the cost.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.

Your mistake in your first response was not mentioning all the other expenses and requirements it would take to "delete the def system". You cannot "delete the def" without ALL the other stuff that goes along with it plus finding a tuner and not to mention voiding any warranty the OP has on his new to him truck.
Your first response with your back story comes across like you can just unplug it and you're good, which is far from the case. The OP has a simple repair and doesn't need all the other headaches.

Kenobi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L Diesel
Your mistake in your first response was not mentioning all the other expenses and requirements it would take to "delete the def system". You cannot "delete the def" without ALL the other stuff that goes along with it plus finding a tuner and not to mention voiding any warranty the OP has on his new to him truck.
Your first response with your back story comes across like you can just unplug it and you're good, which is far from the case. The OP has a simple repair and doesn't need all the other headaches.
Personally, I hate being near such trucks. Since having a lung tumor removed I'm VERY careful about what I let into what's left of my lungs.

Last edited:

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
You can also just delete the DEF if it keeps giving you problems; the environment will take a hit, but the truck will run fine.

That's what I did when I had a secondary air gate get stuck on my 07 WRX just after the 3-year factory warranty expired, with the only purpose of that gate being to reduce emissions until engine reached operating temp. Once Subaru refused to repair as part of the emissions warranty, I just sealed the gate shut to prevent leaks and disabled the sensor and code and it ran fine without it until I traded it 10 years later.
download.jpg

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
O
You can also just delete the DEF if it keeps giving you problems; the environment will take a hit, but the truck will run fine.

That's what I did when I had a secondary air gate get stuck on my 07 WRX just after the 3-year factory warranty expired, with the only purpose of that gate being to reduce emissions until engine reached operating temp. Once Subaru refused to repair as part of the emissions warranty, I just sealed the gate shut to prevent leaks and disabled the sensor and code and it ran fine without it until I traded it 10 years later.

He’s right.

All the tuning companies are now operating “outside the US” due to the EPA crack down. You can still purchase them as “off road only” products.

If your worried about air pollution, forget it. Democrats brought coal back, look at the price and demand. Renewable energy-LMAO

There more people deleting now than ever before due to the economic disaster.