DEF usage ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blacklabbob

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 dually Laramie
Engine
Cummins 6.7 ltr.
First week with new 2014 3500 Dually Laramie, Cummins 6.7 ltr.
Previously heard stories about some users getting up to 10K miles on a tank of DEF. My truck had 250 miles not towing, and 520 miles towing a 14K camper and used nearly :boxed:the entire tank of DEF. Interested in other Cummins w/ DEF users experience.

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
I don't own a Cummins, but I do know that the guys that I work with have a few and a bunch of Fords that use the DEF. They all tell me it depends on how much you tow and idle etc. I wonder if it uses more at first than after it breaks in? I never have heard from them about that, sorry.

Badunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
First week with new 2014 3500 Dually Laramie, Cummins 6.7 ltr.
Previously heard stories about some users getting up to 10K miles on a tank of DEF. My truck had 250 miles not towing, and 520 miles towing a 14K camper and used nearly :boxed:the entire tank of DEF. Interested in other Cummins w/ DEF users experience.

That is way more than normal usage from all I have read. I think you should be getting at least 5K from a full tank of DEF. At the DEF usage you are talking about, you would have to refill the DEF tank at every fuel stop. Are you sure the tank wasn't nearly empty to start with?

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
yessir

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I burned 3/4 tank of def last summer in 2600 miles. Most of it consumed on three trips pulling my TH, approx 6K lbs. Went an additional 3500 miles after refilling, and burned 1/3 tank not pulling. So I could see 10k between refills, but she sure the hell aint gonna do it pulling 14k.

RyeThomas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Also remember the dealer delivers these trucks without toping off, sad to say but you buy a $40K-70K truck and they won't fill it. Their have been a few articles as well on the way the DEF gauge works due to the fact DEF freezes its not a float style sending unit. It is a computer guess for the first 1/2 then some sort of light/beam (laser beam :laughing1:) turns on and detects the fluid level from 1/2 to empty. So the only way to really know is top it full yourself then track it. Many have reported it being on full way too long then the bottom falls out.

Moparman1303

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L + 8spd
Also remember the dealer delivers these trucks without toping off, sad to say but you buy a $40K-70K truck and they won't fill it. Their have been a few articles as well on the way the DEF gauge works due to the fact DEF freezes its not a float style sending unit. It is a computer guess for the first 1/2 then some sort of light/beam (laser beam :laughing1:) turns on and detects the fluid level from 1/2 to empty. So the only way to really know is top it full yourself then track it. Many have reported it being on full way too long then the bottom falls out.

Sounds like a great system....

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also remember the dealer delivers these trucks without toping off, sad to say but you buy a $40K-70K truck and they won't fill it.

yeah they do that with gas too. i've bought far to many vehicles then when i go to pick up the thing is right on empty, hell one time they had it so low i actually didn't even make it to a gas station. now i demand a full tank as part of the deal, if i had diesel i'd be demanding full DEF too

statefan21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Our work trucks(F350 Diesel) which we drive cross country multiple times a year, uses about a gallon or so each trip. Unless we are towing of course. Do not let it run empty though. that will mess the engine up quick, fast and in a hurry

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
My buddies 13 was going through quite a bit when he first got it
He had a computer update at the dealer and it started using much less
Not sure what he's actually getting mileage wise

The truck will go into limp mode if you run out or are very close to empty, it gives you multiple warning before it gets to that point
You wont really mess anything up, it just sucks to try to get it to a dealer to get it cleared

dsent

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab Laramie
Engine
6.7 cummins diesel
Hello Guys,

You do not have to fight with the dealer to get a full tank of DEF and gas.!!!

The dealers are getting paid by RAM as part of the PDI (pre delivery inspection process) to you the customer.

If they give you any kind of a hard time just remind them of the PDI Process.

My 14 Jeep grand Cherokee Eco Diesel had 1/4 of DEF when I saw my Jeep for the first time, I reminded them to fill it and I had no problem.

In my manual it says the 8 gallon DEF tank should last 10K when oil changes are due.

It should be part of you the purchaser as your process before you sign your name on the dotted line and take delivery to scrutinize every inch of the new vehicle and make the dealer aware of all defects!

I usually make a list and a drawing like the( rental car companies use to note damage) and get the dealer to sign it an make a copy for myself as part of the dealer form that they use "we owe"

The Jeeps are throwing different false codes relating to DEF tank and pump their is a TSB here

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_1801814b.pdf for a PCM Flash.

I am sure if the jeeps are having issues the RAM's are having the same problem check for a TSB like the one above.

Last edited:

BennyHanna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I bought my truck brand new with a full tank of DEF. I drove about 6900 miles which was almost all highway, and my DEF was just on the bottom side of 1/4 tank. I didn't tow anything during that time. I got a 2 1/2 gallon jug from the dealer for ~$30 and it put me back at almost 3/4 tank.

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Told my dealer to fill it with DEF as well when I bought mine. No issues.

Matt0676

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Turbo Diesel
I have a 2013 2500 and I get about 7000 miles per tank of DEF. FYI, DEF is MUCH cheaper at the pump as opposed to buying it in bottles. It is currently $2.79/gal at my local truck stop. NOTE: You will have to pull into the commercial pumps to get DEF. They don't offer it in the "regular" pumps.

JoshNHRA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
My 2014 5500 get about 6000KMS per tank.

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have 4k plus miles so far and I'm on 1/2 tank.