Defects/ Damage in Tires Used at FCA Ram Stellantis Mexico Assemby Plant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Just my 2 cents but why, when we are spending 60-100 K for an American truck are we getting Chinese tires? Chinese tires are known to be junk but the manufactures want cheap so they pass it down to us the consumers. My recommendation, and again mine, would be just plan on replacing the tires and pay for a proper alignment and just figure it into the cost of your new truck.

Ram trucks, particularly HD trucks, are "American" only in branding at best. Parent company headquartered in Amsterdam with primarily French and Italian ownership, built in Mexico, from global parts.

That said, the global economy is very much interwoven. I have a friend who is a management at a headlight manufacturer in the Midwest, owned by a French parent company, making light assemblies predominately for Asian companies (with some American and European contracts as well, but predominately Japanese and Korean makers). I bought an Isuzu while living in the Middle East and the brake controller had a sticker that it was build by Aisin in Indiana. Japanese maker, built in Japan, US sourced part. Just the way of the world.

ranchhopper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Its not adhesive or caulk its bead sealer they put the tire on that way and wanted to make sure it didnt leak and YES I did read your post.

flashman252

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Tires on my "NEW" truck lasted me 5k mi. One morning I was pulling out of my driveway onto the two lane hwy and I hear my tire blow. I had just enough time to get it whipped around and back in front of the house. Literally as I am putting the truck in park, the tire gauge goes from 8 psi to 0. So I put the spare on, throw the tire in the bed of the truck, head into work. Next day, take it to the tire shop and the guy comes out and asks what I patched my tire with. I said excuse me... these are "NEW" tires with a "NEW" truck. He just laughed and asks me to walk to the garage area so he can show me the plug that came loose and that he doesnt have anything close to the size of plug thats in the tire. So I go back there, and sure as can be the plug has come loose but not fallen all the way out. I give it some good wiggles and finally get it to come off and I could fit my entire thumb through the hole. He just shrugged and said he couldnt fix it. Asked if I wanted to call the dealership and see if I could get a tire and he would mount it up. I told him f it, Ill just buy new tires since it was right before hunting season anyways. But these tires are JUNK that come from the factory.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Tires on my "NEW" truck lasted me 5k mi. One morning I was pulling out of my driveway onto the two lane hwy and I hear my tire blow. I had just enough time to get it whipped around and back in front of the house. Literally as I am putting the truck in park, the tire gauge goes from 8 psi to 0. So I put the spare on, throw the tire in the bed of the truck, head into work. Next day, take it to the tire shop and the guy comes out and asks what I patched my tire with. I said excuse me... these are "NEW" tires with a "NEW" truck. He just laughed and asks me to walk to the garage area so he can show me the plug that came loose and that he doesnt have anything close to the size of plug thats in the tire. So I go back there, and sure as can be the plug has come loose but not fallen all the way out. I give it some good wiggles and finally get it to come off and I could fit my entire thumb through the hole. He just shrugged and said he couldnt fix it. Asked if I wanted to call the dealership and see if I could get a tire and he would mount it up. I told him f it, Ill just buy new tires since it was right before hunting season anyways. But these tires are JUNK that come from the factory.

Wow. Can you get that tire shop to write a letter with what they found? If so, take that letter to an attorney. I found an atty that got me a $7,000 check from FCA due to that fuel pump debacle, even though mine did not yet fail--but because they failed to expedite the recall and replacement.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Can you tell us the make, model, and tire size?

flashman252

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Can you tell us the make, model, and tire size?
Unfortunately this was a year ago now. I had bought the truck in Feb 2022 and I had new tires on it July/August of 2022. The truck has 20" rims all black. I cannot remember for the life of me what those tires said on the side or what company they were that came with the truck. It was right before hunting season and I even was joking around with my hunting partner about how I'd be grateful if those tires made it through the winter of hunts. Hell they didnt even make it to the hunting season. Went with some coopers with a little more meat. Been very pleased thus far. I just dont let tires wear on me too much. I wear them out pretty quick. Would of been nice if they had lasted a little longer, but it is what it is.

But we are approaching on hunting season soon. I drive my truck all over the country and I cannot get anyone to fix the transmission recall. I am taking the truck in for the oil change soon and now that its at 31k mi, they recommend the transmission fluid to be changed. So I am hoping when they do that they actually have what they need to fix the recall. Last time I was there, I asked if I would know if something was wrong and the tech just looked at me and said "OH YOU'D KNOW". So I am assuming my truck is doing alright because it just keeps doing what it was built to do without any hiccups.

Last edited:

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I believe he has a 2022 Ram 2500 so they are probably Firestone Transforce AT tires or Firestone Transforce HT tires.
Just a guess.
No, he said the truck has 20" rims so that's not it.

flashman252

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I believe he has a 2022 Ram 2500 so they are probably Firestone Transforce AT tires or Firestone Transforce HT tires.
Just a guess.
You are 100% correct. Found a pic from when I bought it. These are the tires that were on my truck. Here’s a pic of the truck as well. Old tires vs new tires. I usually don’t go too crazy with size or beef of tires.

Attachments

• IMG_4873.jpeg
    IMG_4873.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7109.jpeg
    IMG_7109.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 10

flashman252

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Guess they did the firestones in 20” rims. You made me really question my rim size after this post. Not near my truck but I logged into the ram app on my phone and found the rim size listed under equipment. They are definitely 20” rims, and I remember putting my spare on and not being happy that it was an 18” rim. Over time off size wheels can do some unnecessary wear and tear on things if I had to travel any kind of distance on that spare.

Attachments

• IMG_7731.jpeg
    IMG_7731.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 2
OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
You are 100% correct. Found a pic from when I bought it. These are the tires that were on my truck. Here’s a pic of the truck as well. Old tires vs new tires. I usually don’t go too crazy with size or beef of tires.
What are those new ones? The new ones on my 3500 are Bridgestone Duravis HD500s

flashman252

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What are those new ones? The new ones on my 3500 are Bridgestone Duravis HD500s
Cooper discover st/maxx. Was really wanting the cooper discover st/pro but they didn’t have my size and it was going to take way too long to get them. I am actually happy I went this route tho. For an all terrain, it’s aggressive and holds on good. They seem to be holding up pretty darn good too and not wearing too quickly. I like the look of the cooper discover rugged trek. Might try those next time.

I hate tires that stick out, so I’m pretty picky on size. Next size of tires I’ll go a little taller. Hoping I’m not in such a pinch on the next set of tires either.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My 2023 came with the Firestone 245/70R17 E Transforce HT's. They're actually pretty good tires, but I wish they had just a tad beefier tread for traction when towing. I don't need mega-grip off-road tires, just a bit more aggressive tread.

flashman252

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My 2023 came with the Firestone 245/70R17 E Transforce HT's. They're actually pretty good tires, but I wish they had just a tad beefier tread for traction when towing. I don't need mega-grip off-road tires, just a bit more aggressive tread.
Wish I could speak for the tire a little more. They did great the first 5k mi until one blew a plug the size of a half dollar. Oh well. And I agree, not a huge fan of mud terrain tires. I do need a little more grab when I trek off road some. Im not doing an dune stuff or real rocky stuff, but when I find myself in the rocky mountains or down in the marshes, need a little more tread than the firestones offered. Again, all terrain is about as aggressive as I will only go maybe an inch wider than fender wells but if I can keep it flush and not sticking out, that is preferred. I am kind of picky about that when it comes to putting tires on trucks.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Wish I could speak for the tire a little more. They did great the first 5k mi until one blew a plug the size of a half dollar. Oh well. And I agree, not a huge fan of mud terrain tires. I do need a little more grab when I trek off road some. Im not doing an dune stuff or real rocky stuff, but when I find myself in the rocky mountains or down in the marshes, need a little more tread than the firestones offered. Again, all terrain is about as aggressive as I will only go maybe an inch wider than fender wells but if I can keep it flush and not sticking out, that is preferred. I am kind of picky about that when it comes to putting tires on trucks.

Agreed. I do NOT at all like the look of tires/ wheels that protrude. Tacky.

chopperdog45

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
I had the Firestone Transforce tires on my truck as OEM tires. The ones they put on my truck turned out to be turds. I got less than 14K miles out of them. Two of the tires' sidewalls were starting to dry rot and crack. I briefly thought about trying to get them warrantied out, but then just decided to buy new tires. I didn't want to have another set of the Transforce on my truck.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
I had the Firestone Transforce tires on my truck as OEM tires. The ones they put on my truck turned out to be turds. I got less than 14K miles out of them. Two of the tires' sidewalls were starting to dry rot and crack. I briefly thought about trying to get them warrantied out, but then just decided to buy new tires. I didn't want to have another set of the Transforce on my truck.

Wise decision. I had the crappy Nexens when the truck was new. So, I do love these Bridgestone Duravis R500HDs I got through Discount Tire. Here they are on the rear of my 2019 Laramie dually. They are a closed shoulder design, with very deep tread and--unlike the Nexens--they do not pick up a single stone! Came highly recommended by one of our Forum members. Any others here thinking about tires, please look into them.

1689183841093.png

Last edited: