Defroster/ vent control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

preston75052

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Whats up guys,

Question, do any of you know which actuator controls the vent/ defroster? Not the temp one from hot to cold. Right now its stuck on front facing vents and been trying to switch it to the defroster in the mornings.

If so, is that a easy one to repair or am I facing the tragedy of pulling the dash out?

Any and all feedback is appreciated!

Thanks,

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Whats up guys,

Question, do any of you know which actuator controls the vent/ defroster? Not the temp one from hot to cold. Right now its stuck on front facing vents and been trying to switch it to the defroster in the mornings.

If so, is that a easy one to repair or am I facing the tragedy of pulling the dash out?

Any and all feedback is appreciated!

Thanks,
It’s not all that hard to remove the dash just time consuming, it’s the best way rather than butchering the hvac box like heater treater states. I think it’s the mode 2 door that controls the direction but while your in there you might as well change them all out because they will break eventually. 9\10 it’s the door coupler that breaks, not the door itself but but when replacing, I wouldn’t use oe, use blend door USA or heater treaters doors as they are a lot stronger and not plastic either.

OP
OP
preston75052

preston75052

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
It’s not all that hard to remove the dash just time consuming, it’s the best way rather than butchering the hvac box like heater treater states. I think it’s the mode 2 door that controls the direction but while your in there you might as well change them all out because they will break eventually. 9\10 it’s the door coupler that breaks, not the door itself but but when replacing, I wouldn’t use oe, use blend door USA or heater treaters doors as they are a lot stronger and not plastic either.

Is there a way to get to that door without removing the dash?? I know my Mechanic replaced a couple about a year ago. So for now I would be interested in replacing that Mode 2 "if I can get to it without removing the dash"

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Is there a way to get to that door without removing the dash?? I know my Mechanic replaced a couple about a year ago. So for now I would be interested in replacing that Mode 2 "if I can get to it without removing the dash"
No, the dash has to be moved to access it, the “mechanic” should’ve recommended replacing all the doors at once at that time. Would’ve been smart and cheaper.

You can do it, just take your time and take pictures of the process while proceeding. I did mine in a few hours.

OP
OP
preston75052

preston75052

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
This may help,,Just did mine

What year is your truck? Mine is a 07. But I called my mechanic yesterday and come to find out he did replace all of them. So it's under warranty and the truck will go back to him.

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an '07 that the blend door makes a load closing or opening sound when switching modes. What is the cause and how do I fix it?