delaminating display - level with me doc how much time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccattie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My display has been fine until the most recent heat snap with the near 100's for a week. I noticed it starting in the upper left corner and then 2 days later it's bigger. The temps have dropped to high 80s and it seems to have stalled it's advance. I've taken to cracking the windows (got the ventshades) to keep the temps down a little. I'll also grab a window shade as well. Can anybody tell me how much time I've got before it goes out of control? It's a 2018 3500 Megacab Bighorn. I've got a vacation in 2 weeks and I'm hoping it will hold out until I get back. I can't imagine a road trip without being able to use it.
-c

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can't help you on the time frame. Do you use the touchscreen that often?

If not under a warranty try car-part.com if you want another OEM

ColesRAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
What exactly is the problem?
Dead spot to the touch on the screen?
Black spot and dead spot?
I had a Toyota 4Runner that I had to replace the display screen. Took a week for it to go completely black and non-responsive. Dealer replaced it for $1200.00 but that was three years ago.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What exactly is the problem?
Dead spot to the touch on the screen?
Black spot and dead spot?
I had a Toyota 4Runner that I had to replace the display screen. Took a week for it to go completely black and non-responsive. Dealer replaced it for $1200.00 but that was three years ago.

The screen is de-laminating, extremely common issue with the 2018 HD trucks with the 8.4 screen. Basically it will stop responding and/or start ghost pushing buttons on it's own.

OP, there is no way to estimate, could be months, could be minutes before it starts acting up..

If you are somewhat savvy with electronics you can replace the screen yourself. I believe there are even youtube vidoes on how to. It's a cheaper option then replacing the entire radio. You could also try contacting ramcares. I have heard a few cases were they have stepped up and covered it out of warranty but not many.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
My display has been fine until the most recent heat snap with the near 100's for a week. I noticed it starting in the upper left corner and then 2 days later it's bigger. The temps have dropped to high 80s and it seems to have stalled it's advance. I've taken to cracking the windows (got the ventshades) to keep the temps down a little. I'll also grab a window shade as well. Can anybody tell me how much time I've got before it goes out of control? It's a 2018 3500 Megacab Bighorn. I've got a vacation in 2 weeks and I'm hoping it will hold out until I get back. I can't imagine a road trip without being able to use it.
-c
When it first starts to ghost touch it can be reversed by keeping it cool. Mine started to ghost touch in the winter while the heat was on. Adding foam insulation between the radio and vents stopped it immediately. In summer, the A/C should help cool the radio due to the placement of vents.

In addition, delamination is not always accompanied by ghost touches. All this to say, I think you'll be fine...

Dirt Dumb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the same problem with my Uconnect 8.4 screen. I purchased a replacement from Ebay, https://www.ebay.com/itm/294849957503. This company claims their product, LA084X01 (SL) (03), is LG's version (03) and will not delaminate. If you go this route, beware there are a lot of (01) and (02) versions being sold. I also did the painful un-gluing method on my old one. That took a while using 91% iso alcohol, GOO BE GONE, and WD 40 . It came out nice and I'll keep it as a spare. Hope I never have to use it. Lots of video on this subject on YouTube.

LA084X01 (SL) (03)​

LeeD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just replaced my digitizer. It had been oozing down for about 2 years in the Texas heat before it went crazy with ghost touches. I would think you’ll be ok for the short term.
After watching several videos I tried to just clean the digitizer and lcd screens but I accidentally pulled the ribbon cable off of the digitizer so I ordered a replacement from Amazon.
I used denatured alcohol and plexus to clean the lcd screen and it came out very nice. If you try to clean both screens build up a base for the digitizer so you don’t stress the ribbon cable or just remove both screens. That is what I’d do if I did it again. If you do that definitely tape the screws on the back so they don’t fall out. Trying to get the stand-offs back in place is a real chore. One other thing is I used fishing line to separate the screens.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Mine too about 4 months before ghost touching made the clock edit pop up happen continuously making it impossible to use the radio. Dealer quoted me 1080 to replace and mine is a 2018 1500 laramae with the 8.4 nav. Reached out to ram cares here abs they put me in contact with uconnect and it took a while like 5 months or so and the radio was replaced free of charge. There is a star case number on the defect of the LG adhesive used. They just replace with a 2019+ model which didn’t have the defective adhesive. I would reach out to ramcares now given the timeframe it takes to get it started and how long you have before it makes the radio annoying.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2018 Laramie just started delaminating when I left it out in the sun too long. This really should be a recall item because the dealer said he sees a lot of them.
It really should be as Ram has stated the delamination is due to bad glue used by LG the maker of the touch panel. I got mine replaced under a good faith warranty over a year ago. Was $100 deductible but I read now most are being denied if outside of warranty. If you are the DYI type replacing the bad panel with the newer updated panel isn’t difficult. Several YouTube vids on how to. The new panel is about $400 online, so far cheaper than a new radio.

wallacemf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 4x4 Hemi 6.4
I just had mine replaced at no cost in my 2018. Send a PM to RamCares, they can put you in touch with the Uconnect folks. Uconnect called me within a couple days and had me take it to the dealer to be diagnosed, dealer confirmed it was delaminating. Uconnect opened a case and sent out a new unit and it was replaced by the dealer under “goodwill” at no cost.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
My 2018 Laramie just started delaminating when I left it out in the sun too long. This really should be a recall item because the dealer said he sees a lot of them.

Hi Real Jeep,

Our team is available to look into any available options regarding your concerns. Feel welcome to message us to discuss further.

Steph
Ram Cares

Real Jeep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
UPDATE:
RAM has said they will replace my radio at no charge to me because this is a known problem. I encourage all to call Ram customer care and follow their steps to get this resolved.
This is really good news to me because a new radio can run between 600-900 dollars. THANKS RAM!!