delete bed vs chassis cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kevin1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v10
Hello all,
New here. Currently have a 1997 long bed, extended cab 4x4 with v10. I carry a truck camper and am looking at getting a new truck.
Does anyone know how the delete bed option would compare to getting a chassis cab?
I'm looking at the Laramie, crew cab, dually.

Thanks, Kevin

WoodGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The chassis cab has flat frame rails to simplify mounting for utility beds, custom bodies, etc. Different rear diff centerline lengths from the cab are available as well. Bed delete is a reg pu frame truck that the dealer credits you a ridiculously low dollar amount for no bed

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
In addition, I believe you also have more fuel tank options, and PTO prep options with the chassis cab. If either of those matter to you. I'm pretty sure there are many more differences as well. You might want to just build out each on the ramtrucks.com site and see what the differences are for yourself.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You are looking at a Heavy Duty Ram
Chassis Cab, No Upfit

50&bkgnd=white&resp=jpg&x=550&y=4200&w=9050&h=2000.jpg

50&bkgnd=white&resp=jpg&x=550&y=4200&w=9050&h=2000.jpg

WoodGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In addition, I believe you also have more fuel tank options, and PTO prep options with the chassis cab. If either of those matter to you. I'm pretty sure there are many more differences as well. You might want to just build out each on the ramtrucks.com site and see what the differences are for yourself.
52 gallons in my case ;)

OP
OP
kevin1

kevin1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v10
I came across this, don't know how the CC would ride compared to the PU without bed and adding a flat bed.
Looks like I can still get the same packages and most options.

Chassis Cab

Most chassis cab trucks feature straight frame rails (a standard to accommodate aftermarket product manufacturers and truck/van upfitters)
Frame rails are 37 inches apart from one another
Cab to center of axle (CA) is 60 inches
More leaf springs in rear suspension spring assembly compared to a pickup – 5 to 12 leaf springs and a factory top or bottom overload spring depending on the vehicle make and GVWR
Shorter leaf springs compared to a pickup (shorter springs are stiffer, providing more capacity)

Pickup & Box Delete

Pickups tend to have curved frame rails for increased ride quality and weight distribution
Frame rails are 34 inches apart from one another
Cab to center of axle (CA) is 56 inches
Fewer leaf springs in rear suspension spring assembly compared to a chassis cab – 2 to 4 leaf springs depending on the vehicle make and GVWR
Longer leaf springs compared to a chassis cab (longer springs flex easier, providing for a smoother ride)

WoodGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine rides very well for a 1 ton truck, but it has a 9' utility body full of tools too ;)

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If the truck is going to have a permanent Camper sitting on it
It should ride very well
It could be setup with the largest fuel tank & plenty of storage room

img_7319-jpg.jpg

img_6523-jpg.jpg

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel

company changed hands, they are now called NIMBL
Best-in-Class Ford F-350 Super Duty 4x4 with 7.3 liter “Godzilla” gas motor, but build our campers on Chevrolet/GMC and (Dodge) RAM 1-ton trucks as well.

Last edited: