Delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I don't think it is verboten per se but many folks are reluctant to acknowledge / provide information about their deletes in an open forum.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Naw....it ain't bad juju. I am a proponent of deleting some of the crap the government has mandated be heavily layered on what was once a great performing diesel.

It's getting more difficult to do apparently. State and Federal agencies were cracking down on the vendors who are supplying the tuners, programming and, in some cases, some parts. In Oregon the state DEQ started suing shops who performed deletes including the one that did the work on my 2017 Laramie CTD.

I tell ya what, though. Doing a full delete was the best thing I ever did for that truck. It all started with a brand new CTD that kept leaving me stranded. It would just shut down or go into limp mode and it would do it when I was at least 14 Miles North of NoWhere! My local dealer checked it over a couple of times, three other dealers in the areas where it broke down looked it over and all of them simply reset the code and sent me on my way.

I opened a case with Ram Customer Service and had it escalated. No joy there, either. I got the impression all of the techs and the FCA engineer walked away from the truck scratching their heads.

After the case was opened and the truck went **** up for the umpteenth time I sent a note to Ram and told them that it would end up as a lemon law rig unless they figured it out. I also gave them the opportunity to take it for two weeks and really dig into it.

I got no answer despite repeated follow up on my part.

All of this transpired over the period of a few months. I needed the truck for work and I needed it to be reliable. So, into the performance shop it went.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
While I was dealing with tow trucks, involuntary visits to dealers and FCA case correspondence I was also researching what a delete entailed.

There were concerns over transmission life, soot build-up (which ended up not being a concern), EGT heat limits and turbo damage, tuning to remove CEL issues and open exhausts being too loud for many owners. But there were some good sources of information and design who tackled each of these issues.

Bottom line was you had to delete & tune assuming all other powertrain components would be OEM/Stock gear and eliminate any issues that created or contributed to a "Not Ready" condition in any of the modules.

After talking with the owner of the shop that did the work on the truck we decided to do the delete in a manner that addressed those concerns.

Here is the final mod list for my delete:

Delete & Tune mods

Edge CTS-2 Insight monitor with Cummins unlock

13 – 17 EFI Live Dodge CSP4 tune package by PPEI / Kory Willis

13 – 17 EFI Live Dodge transmission tuning

Cummins tuning switch CSP4

EGR valve and cooler removal with block off plate​

Throttle valve delete

Edge expandable EGT probe kit

Pillar pod mount for Edge CTS2​

Transmission mods

BD Diesel 68RFE valve body plate kit

Mag Hytec deep transmission pan

ATS 68RFE transmission case support brace​

Exhaust Upgrade

FloPro 4“ cat & DPF cannister delete pipe

4” – 6” black exhaust tip with rolled edge

Corsa 8004002 4” muffler​

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
I don't think it is verboten per se but many folks are reluctant to acknowledge / provide information about their deletes in an open forum.

The internet is an open forum. It is just a little more effort to get into some "secure" areas than others.

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
While I was dealing with tow trucks, involuntary visits to dealers and FCA case correspondence I was also researching what a delete entailed.

There were concerns over transmission life, soot build-up (which ended up not being a concern), EGT heat limits and turbo damage, tuning to remove CEL issues and open exhausts being too loud for many owners. But there were some good sources of information and design who tackled each of these issues.

Bottom line was you had to delete & tune assuming all other powertrain components would be OEM/Stock gear and eliminate any issues that created or contributed to a "Not Ready" condition in any of the modules.

After talking with the owner of the shop that did the work on the truck we decided to do the delete in a manner that addressed those concerns.

Here is the final mod list for my delete:

Delete & Tune mods

Edge CTS-2 Insight monitor with Cummins unlock

13 – 17 EFI Live Dodge CSP4 tune package by PPEI / Kory Willis

13 – 17 EFI Live Dodge transmission tuning

Cummins tuning switch CSP4

EGR valve and cooler removal with block off plate​

Throttle valve delete

Edge expandable EGT probe kit

Pillar pod mount for Edge CTS2​

Transmission mods

BD Diesel 68RFE valve body plate kit

Mag Hytec deep transmission pan

ATS 68RFE transmission case support brace​

Exhaust Upgrade

FloPro 4“ cat & DPF cannister delete pipe

4” – 6” black exhaust tip with rolled edge

Corsa 8004002 4” muffler​

I have not seen any deleted trucks that did not smoke. Is that an issue with a delete like yours where you seem to just want to get the engine to run well?

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If it’s smoking after a delete and tune, the tuner didn’t do their job right. The emissions in these trucks is bad. They ALL have a problem at some point and some more than others. Best bet would be to get another computer, factory exhaust (complete) and switch them out when time for smog or inspection. If I had a deleted truck, that’s what I’d do.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have not seen any deleted trucks that did not smoke. Is that an issue with a delete like yours where you seem to just want to get the engine to run well?

Not really.

To get it to smoke, and we're not talking about the major black cloud rolling coal stuff you see on some of the YT videos, I have to turn it up to tune #4 on the CSP switch and really hammer the throttle. Then it will smoke but it ain't a dense, black, cloud of smoke.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963