Dependable.....I think not

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
P

Phair

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins diesel
Yeah...I think you're right even if I take the loaner and use that instead of my truck....it just amazes me that auto companies dont have spare parts available....its a crazy business model

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Yeah...I think you're right even if I take the loaner and use that instead of my truck....it just amazes me that auto companies dont have spare parts available....its a crazy business model

Somewhere up the foodchain in about every major company, domestic or foreign, there's a set of "bean counters" that have told the hierarchy that every spare part cost $X to store and inventory. While you can calculate that there is no good way to put lost sales or customer dissatisfaction into the equation so there is no way balance it off.

That's why I save my loyalty for friends and family and treat everything else as a business transaction. If I think there's a chance that I can move things along I'll go to about any length but I quit fighting windmills years ago.

In your case I'd continue to apply modest pressure just to keep them informed I'm expecting something to happen and not forget me. The loaner is part of that pressure.

As I've said on many occasions when there is nothing that I can do "If they don't meet your expectations, lower them"

It's a ****** that an expensive item can fail and the solution is no imminent but - "well - see above ^^^".

I just know my next vehicle will be the best deal for me using any data points I can gather but vehicles are just another transaction.

A local Chevy dealer has a way of doing little things that irritate me but the deals were so great I'd go back and then not deal with them until I was in the market for another vehicle. If he was low bidder I bought and got 4 vehicles from him over 15 years. I'd walk out of there on several occasions saying I'll never go back but each time he bought my loyalty. Currently, however, it's FCA's turn and will be until I get a better deal.

It's all about the cash - *****!!

OP
OP
P

Phair

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins diesel
Somewhere up the foodchain in about every major company, domestic or foreign, there's a set of "bean counters" that have told the hierarchy that every spare part cost $X to store and inventory. While you can calculate that there is no good way to put lost sales or customer dissatisfaction into the equation so there is no way balance it off.

That's why I save my loyalty for friends and family and treat everything else as a business transaction. If I think there's a chance that I can move things along I'll go to about any length but I quit fighting windmills years ago.

In your case I'd continue to apply modest pressure just to keep them informed I'm expecting something to happen and not forget me. The loaner is part of that pressure.

As I've said on many occasions when there is nothing that I can do "If they don't meet your expectations, lower them"

It's a ****** that an expensive item can fail and the solution is no imminent but - "well - see above ^^^".

I just know my next vehicle will be the best deal for me using any data points I can gather but vehicles are just another transaction.

A local Chevy dealer has a way of doing little things that irritate me but the deals were so great I'd go back and then not deal with them until I was in the market for another vehicle. If he was low bidder I bought and got 4 vehicles from him over 15 years. I'd walk out of there on several occasions saying I'll never go back but each time he bought my loyalty. Currently, however, it's FCA's turn and will be until I get a better deal.

It's all about the cash - *****!!

Thanks for the explanation.. .I guess the bean counters try to balance keeping the masses happy and screw over the odd customer.....too bad they dont live up to their corporate mission statement. ...it really makes mr wonder why we have brand loyalty.....we spend the cash and therefore should have the power but it's not that easy to get consumers to band together and speak with our wallets to tell ANY company to get their act together or our cash will go elsewhere

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
There is a reason why the lemon laws are needed to protect consumers from manufacturers' defective vehicles. Best to read up on what is involved to have your truck considered a lemon and this includes documenting every conversation with anyone at the dealer or FCA. No reason why this should be your problem to fix.

A close friend bought a new Jaguar and the security system would shut dow the engine with no warning which is very dangerous on a freeway. After the fourth time he had this problem he dropped it back off at the dealer and got a brand new car. At least he had free use of the lemon Jaguar for a couple months.

OP
OP
P

Phair

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins diesel
There is a reason why the lemon laws are needed to protect consumers from manufacturers' defective vehicles. Best to read up on what is involved to have your truck considered a lemon and this includes documenting every conversation with anyone at the dealer or FCA. No reason why this should be your problem to fix

A close friend bought a new Jaguar and the security system would shut dow the engine with no warning which is very dangerous on a freeway. After the fourth time he had this problem he dropped it back off at the dealer and got a brand new car. At least he had free use of the lemon Jaguar for a couple months.

Thanks for the advice....I looked into the process and regulations. It certainly seems to fit my scenario....I think I'll try that route

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
One would think, in the interest of keeping a good customer happy, that they could locate an exact, or very similar truck, offer that to you, and then wait for the parts on their own truck, rather than have your money while you have nothing. I realize why they probably would never do that, but in a perfect world......?

gts340

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Every brand has it's problems. The grass is always greener on the other side. I'm daily driving a Ford F350 right now. Granted, it's an older one, but low miles. I'm always fixing it. And it's rusting faster than the grass grows in June.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I own a new 3500 cummins diesel dual rear wheels...it has 7000km....lemon...been in the shop 2 months in the 6 months I've owned it. First the carriage bolts all needed to be replaced, now the differential is experiencing a defect with the crown ring and pinion...was told there were several trucks with the problem and were in the queue for the parts...major problems for a new expensive truck....no idea when dodge can get the parts....what a joke.....seriously...called the helpline and their response was that he did not know when the parts would be available.....one day to one year....no idea...its a $90000.00 waste....buy a Chevy, GMC, Toyota, Nissan, Ford....or even a honda ridgeline.....at least it will work.....buyer beware
yep, sure go ask Ford about the replacment parts they are waiting for on Rangers, F-150 twin turbo, etc. They're in same boat as you. They ALL are the same, even Toyota, not Ridgeline, but hey when you can pull a whole 3500poundws, haul 1400pounds guess it is easier to build to that wioth no problem.

Ransom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
VMI 3.0 TD
Part of the parts problem is the just in time mentality. Don't keep any extra stock anywhere. Some are so just in time parts come off the truck in the morning and leave in the finished product at end of day.

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Part of the parts problem is the just in time mentality. Don't keep any extra stock anywhere. Some are so just in time parts come off the truck in the morning and leave in the finished product at end of day.

This is true. Who ever came up with this just in time manufacturing is an idiot

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
There is lots of info about how to manage spare parts availability, like this.

https://us.hitachi-solutions.com/blog/spare-parts-inventory-management/

I used to do this for a scientific instrument company. Because there are spikes in demand that cannot be predicted (this is true for all parts), keeping a part in stock 100% of the time costs something like 10 times as much (10 times more inventory) as having it 95% of the time when someone places an order.

Factor in long lead times because of overseas supply, and other factors, trying to stock everything everyone will ever need would bankrupt most companies. It is a numbers game, they want to sell you parts whenever you want them. The dealers get paid for parts and labor they install for warranty, they are happy to do it whenever the factory will approve it. The dealers don't make money denying warranty claims.

They do not want you to go to the aftermarket, so they want parts to be available, but have to balance costs in some way.

Inventory is expensive. Especially leftover spares inventory that no one will buy because the truck is off the road. They need to try to wind down inventory as demand lowers over time (like for 2nd gen or 3rd gen RAMS)

OP
OP
P

Phair

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins diesel
it would seem to me that differential and tranny parts should be somewhat easier to access. I would imagine that it's not uncommon to have differential or transmission problems with any brand.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Unfortunately we are going to experience even longer wait times and more back order responses for many of the things we buy. Yesterday China had two box ships turn around and return to port. "Allegedly" they contained auto parts and accessories that they need in China,,,,or,,,,some say, they want to hold the orders until the demand allows them to raise the price. My son's GMC needs the auto step sensors replaced. "On back order. China supplier. No ETA at this time" POV. Got a sense that this is going to get worse.

ocalapilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 and 2004
Engine
Hemi and Cummins
I don’t like dodge at all actually.. I really enjoy my Ram though!

LOL I have one of each and like both!

2004 Dodge 3500 and 2016 Ram 1500.

Couldn’t help myself ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GREGORY BRIGGS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecotorq 5.7
I also am having problems with FCA doesnt care 2019 RAM longhorn loaded with options been in shop at least 15 times for same issues tranny and electrical problems still not fixed. FCA can't even fix the squeaky brakes no parts tranny goes into manual mode all by itself when coming to a stop LOL dealer can't replicate the lemon I bought. My 2018 eco deisel burnt up in my driveway on ash wensday 2019 26000 miles still under warranty no help from FCA LOL they don't care if they kill someone with the eco deisel way to many burn up.

OP
OP
P

Phair

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins diesel
The latest....still no part or idea when it will be available.....this is 3 months without my new 3500 with 7000kms....crazy....companies take your money and dont give a damn after the fact. Absolutely no integrity or credibility.

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The latest....still no part or idea when it will be available.....this is 3 months without my new 3500 with 7000kms....crazy....companies take your money and dont give a damn after the fact. Absolutely no integrity or credibility.

I imagine with the virus, it’s going to be a long time!

46RamMan

U.S. Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you had taken their loaner they would probably be more concerned on getting your truck fixed.... Just saying...

Brian2081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Phair, your truck has been in the shop for 3 straight months with no resolution in sight ?.
I believe FCA/Dealer is obligated to refund all your money or exchange the truck for another that is equipped the same way.
The reason I say this is I believe it is written somewhere that 30 days is a reasonable amount of time to make repairs. After 30 days they start walking on thin ice, 90 days give me my money or another truck.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Phair, your truck has been in the shop for 3 straight months with no resolution in sight ?.
I believe FCA/Dealer is obligated to refund all your money or exchange the truck for another that is equipped the same way.
The reason I say this is I believe it is written somewhere that 30 days is a reasonable amount of time to make repairs. After 30 days they start walking on thin ice, 90 days give me my money or another truck.
True, but I think "they" changed the rules because of the pandemic, now big wigs can do what tf they want.