Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
My wheels got here sooner than expected! I was stressing a little about the wheel coloring not quite working with the Ram's Granite Metallic paint and matte trim, but I was pleasantly surprised on how well the wheels match both. I just mocked up the rock ring so all of the black mounting bolts are not installed:

Black%20Rhino%20Dugger%20Wheel%202_zps7et1kc5j.jpg

Black%20Rhino%20Dugger%20Wheel%203_zpsa79hkxm8.jpg

Black%20Rhino%20Dugger%20Wheel%201_zpstmquhmwq.jpg
The replacement rock ring is an exact match with the Rebel's matte black fender and grille treatment while the painted metallic gun black is almost dead-on too with the Granite Metallic. Yah!

Now I need to concentrate on getting the right tires.

Man those wheels look awesome in person! Csnt wait to see them mounted up!

Did you start a tire thread, don't wanna cloud your build with fluff if you have separate threads. What options are you considering? I've been researching tires heavily for a bit now, having constant issues and compromises between highway vs performance vs weight etc, has been a real PITA.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Desert Dawg

Desert Dawg

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Love your truck! I really like the 5th gen Rebel, and your rig is pretty much the way I would want one. Currently have a 4th gen Granite Chrystal with Black Rhino rims.

Your lights are fantastic, can’t wait to see the rest

Man those wheels look awesome in person! Csnt wait to see them mounted up!

Did you start a tire thread, don't wanna cloud your build with fluff if you have separate threads. What options are you considering? I've been researching tires heavily for a bit now, having constant issues and compromises between highway vs performance vs weight etc, has been a real PITA.

@LarryA; thanks for compliment! I am really getting into this truck too...I get a lot of looks/comments (the good kind) when driving around and I really have not done much yet. But really wanting to get out in the desert and see what it does after the mods.

@hodge-xj; thanks again! I am working up my tire selection right now and hopefully will post here in the next day or two. Already have my shortlist completed but still narrowing down to my selection. Per my other selections, I am looking to do something different but hard to do when you basically have tried almost everything already...lol.

So I am doing my research; one of the tires I had not tried was the **** Cepeks but got some great feedback from the guys at Desert Rat in that the DCs get loud after some wear, so I just dropped them from my shortlist (sort of make sense as the DCs are one of older hybrids so have not been updated with the newer compounds and thread designs that are now being used). I was planning either a hybrid or even a streetable MT (if they had good snow pack performance) but also running through the new ATs. In the end, overall performance and looks are rated almost the same for me so making it a slow process.

LarryA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@LarryA; thanks for compliment! I am really getting into this truck too...I get a lot of looks/comments (the good kind) when driving around and I really have not done much yet. But really wanting to get out in the desert and see what it does after the mods.

@hodge-xj; thanks again! I am working up my tire selection right now and hopefully will post here in the next day or two. Already have my shortlist completed but still narrowing down to my selection. Per my other selections, I am looking to do something different but hard to do when you basically have tried almost everything already...lol.

So I am doing my research; one of the tires I had not tried was the **** Cepeks but got some great feedback from the guys at Desert Rat in that the DCs get loud after some wear, so I just dropped them from my shortlist (sort of make sense as the DCs are one of older hybrids so have not been updated with the newer compounds and thread designs that are now being used). I was planning either a hybrid or even a streetable MT (if they had good snow pack performance) but also running through the new ATs. In the end, overall performance and looks are rated almost the same for me so making it a slow process.

FWIW I am running the Toyo AT II here in Washington state. I wanted something comfortable, slightly rugged for traveling the forest service roads while still returning acceptable MPG. They have been good in the rain and snow, and unlike the stock tires I haven't cut one on a back road...yet. I know you have had multiple rigs and have likely tried lots of different tires.

Also - I saw a hidden winch mount for the 5th gen Rebel - it looked well built and utilized the space directly under where you mounted your lights. I looked factory when done, if I can find the link I will post here.

Edit - here it is. https://www.vicedesign.ca/integrated-winch-systems/2019-ram-rebel-winch

Last edited:

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins

I think I finally understand women and shoes when it comes to tires! So many choices anymore. Believe me, I've been researching myself. Practicality and performance don't always run hand in hand, especially when looks are factored in. I will say, Toyos AT3 threw a wrench into things. 3pmsf rated as well they have lead on my list since they are available in the wonky size I'm looking to try out personally. So be it once i sort out this vibration issue I can't seem to nail down.

In regards to the **** Cepek tires. I had FC2s they were awesome, ran smooth as glass, but we're some of the loudest tires I've run. Especially for such a hybrid tread. Tough as nails and wore like iron, but God the drone was a pitch that would drone bad. Than again my duratracs aren't much better noise wise and balance about as good as a square, so there's something to say there. Like you I've run just about anything from boggers to highway tread, the new hybrid line ups are exciting for a dual purpose rig for sure.

OP
OP
Desert Dawg

Desert Dawg

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
FWIW I am running the Toyo AT II here in Washington state. I wanted something comfortable, slightly rugged for traveling the forest service roads while still returning acceptable MPG. They have been good in the rain and snow, and unlike the stock tires I haven't cut one on a back road...yet. I know you have had multiple rigs and have likely tried lots of different tires.

Also - I saw a hidden winch mount for the 5th gen Rebel - it looked well built and utilized the space directly under where you mounted your lights. I looked factory when done, if I can find the link I will post here.

Edit - here it is. https://www.vicedesign.ca/integrated-winch-systems/2019-ram-rebel-winch

Thanks, yes...that is what I was considering and the reason why I didn't bother with a light bar in the lower grille section (plus I wanted a different look anyway).

On the Toyos, I am hoping to have a look at the new Toyo Open Country AT3s as they look a tad more aggressive and sound like they have decent performance too. They are on my short-list for sure even though I tend to like more aggressive looking MTs or hybrids. But a lot has to be said about getting a really nice highway ride (comparably speaking), slightly better mileage, and some good off-road performance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Desert Dawg

Desert Dawg

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I think I finally understand women and shoes when it comes to tires! So many choices anymore. Believe me, I've been researching myself. Practicality and performance don't always run hand in hand, especially when looks are factored in. I will say, Toyos AT3 threw a wrench into things. 3pmsf rated as well they have lead on my list since they are available in the wonky size I'm looking to try out personally. So be it once i sort out this vibration issue I can't seem to nail down.

In regards to the **** Cepek tires. I had FC2s they were awesome, ran smooth as glass, but we're some of the loudest tires I've run. Especially for such a hybrid tread. Tough as nails and wore like iron, but God the drone was a pitch that would drone bad. Than again my duratracs aren't much better noise wise and balance about as good as a square, so there's something to say there. Like you I've run just about anything from boggers to highway tread, the new hybrid line ups are exciting for a dual purpose rig for sure.

So true...lol.

Yeah, the AT3s have definitely caught my attention. The photos I have seen look good but still want to check on out in person. Having the thicker sidewall is a definite plus as well. But they do look cool even if not as much as MT or heavier hybrid. Hmmm.

Your report on the DCs was almost verbatim what the guys at Desert Rat described. They all run the DCs on their Jeeps because they look and perform so well but they don't take their Jeeps for long road trips either. The shop manager has some DC 35-inch tires on his F250 and he says they are intrusively loud on road trips and it gets tiresome. Too bad because I really thought I might try them.

I had Duratracs on one my built F150s as well and they started getting loud with wear. Up to that point, they were a great, somewhat aggressive looking tire with decent dry/wet road and sand performance, but I was always worried about puncturing them on the trail.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
First mod I did was to install some new LED off-road lights. For the Rebel, I really didn't want anything in the lower bumper area as I might consider a hidden winch system sometime down the road and so wanted to leave that area alone. I also wanted to have a slightly different look this time around rather than the typical LED light bars that I had used on prior builds and now seen on most trucks.

The Rebel front bumper is unique as there is a raised area (bulge) right under the front grille and I thought that would be an ideal spot for some round lights. So I chose to install a couple sets of the Rigid 360-Series LEDs; I measured the space between the bumper and bottom of the RAM logo and determined that the 4-inch round lights would look better fitted under the logo rather than having larger (+6-inch) lights blocking the logo.

I purchased 1-pair of the 360 Series Spot LEDs for long distance illumination and 1-pair of the 360 Series Driving LEDs for near distance illumination; I arranged the setup so that the driving lights are situated on both sides of the spot lights. The nice things about the 360 Series is you can replace the lens if needed and/or paint-to-match the lens surround for a custom look! I chose to leave mine black as it ties in nicely with my truck's paint color scheme.

7-360-Series_4_Drive_White_Backlight_2_zps5mrev2nu.jpg

The nerve-wracking part was precisely measuring and then drilling the (4) mounting holes in my brand new bumper. I located the center line of the bumper and measured the exact location of each drill hole spaced underneath the RAM logo while also taking into account the front bumper curve (I wanted the face of each light to follow the bumper lines). I then created a template on my computer so that I can play with the spacing of all the lights and determined that 2.25-inches of clearance between each of the 4-inch LED lights was the most aesthetically pleasing while still allowing access for adjustments.

pot%20Lights%20with%20Backlighting%206_zpsyghituuj.jpg

The underside of the bumper is pretty clear and easy to get your hands/ratchets under there to mount the lights. Drilling through the steel bumper is easy as long as you use good drill bits and a variable speed drill for slow speed. However, there is a slight bend of the bumper sheet metal where it folds down under the grille so you have to make sure that you leave enough room for the mounting bolts and hardware. At same time, you don't want to have the lights extend too far out from the face of the front bumper. I measured 1-1/4 inch away from the back side of the bumper along the top of bumper as shown above and to ensure clearance within the bumper per below.

Edit: Forgot to mention that also coated the drilled holes with black touch-up paint to prevent rust.

Bumper%20lights_install_1_zpsyw7pei2u.jpg

After rechecking everything at least a dozen times...lol...I went for it and very pleased with how I got everything pretty much centered with the Ram logo at exactly 2.25-inches apart and exactly leveled.

iving%20Lights%20with%20Backlighting_2_zpsdzj5eazy.jpg

iving%20Lights%20with%20Backlighting_1_zps4fxv4ghs.jpg

iving%20Lights%20with%20Backlighting_3_zpshzbjfz30.jpg

For wiring, the Rigids come with their own wiring harnesses and 3-position LED switches (the 360-series have backlighting illumination like the Radiance series light bars). Unfortunately, they don't come with the Deutsch connectors so you have to add connectors if desired. For now, I simply used heat-shrink wire connectors and arranged the harnesses and zipped-tied everything to the body (hiding as much as possible) for a very clean install.

The switches were more problematic as they are 3-position (on-off-on) with six connectors and therefore quite a bit deeper than the standard 2-position (on-off) round switches with three connectors. I wanted to install one switch for each pair of lights so that I could have the backlighting as "running lights" and the off-road lighting only switched on when needed. I also wanted to install the two switches in the flat face of the center console right under the 12-inch screen (right next to the USB ports) but could not determine if there was enough clear space behind the console face that extends under the center stack of the dash (definitely did not want to drill out two 3/4-inch holes only to find out the switches don't fit).

So I removed all of the dash panels surrounding the steering wheel as it looked like there were a couple places up high within easy view and reach to place some switches. Unfortunately, despite the dash panel exterior appearances, there is no room behind the panels for deep switches as anything not taken up by the dash fame or control modules is taken up with additional plastic moldings on the panel themselves (and I didn't want to carve those up either). I did find enough space for (1) switch at the very bottom panel alongside the center console (see below); I did have to fab a small spacer since the switch connection tabs would not completely clear behind the panel but the pressure tabs keeps it secure for now. Since both pairs of lights have their own relays with no 12V power going to the switch, I wired both pairs of lights into the one switch but sacrificed having the backlighting until I can install two separate switches (once I figure out the center console).

%20LED%203-position%20light%20switch_1_zpslzpy3g3j.jpg

%20LED%203-position%20light%20switch_2_zpsfmfnia39.jpg

But everything works and I love the finished result.

IMG-0278_zps6aermhrp.jpg
Those look good! I would be too chicken to do that myself.

OP
OP
Desert Dawg

Desert Dawg

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Those look good! I would be too chicken to do that myself.

Thank you! Yeah, I won't lie about the trepidation I had about doing this either and I flinched when the drill bit hit the first mark...lol. But being an engineer, I was fanatical about measuring everything too (over and over...lol).

OP
OP
Desert Dawg

Desert Dawg

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So as you know, I have been looking at various tire options that I feel would really compliment my truck build both in terms of form and function. I really prefer a more purposeful and slightly more aggressive looking theme of the truck especially since this a Rebel that I will use off-road, but doing so is always at the expense of your wallet, mileage performance (for longer road trips), handling dynamics, safety (especially in terms of control and braking), tire life, and road comfort/noise. Tires, besides any suspension changes, are one of the more costly mods you can make on a truck especially when getting into the 34-35+ inch diameter range; I have made mistakes before when I rushed my decision based on some pricing deal that seemed to be too good to pass up or because I ran with someone else's recommendation without thinking it through only to be unhappy with the results.

So my focus has been on more aggressive looking ATs, Hybrids, and MTs that might meet most of my criteria for performing well day to day, provide decent highway comfort, and ensuring decent performance while off-roading so that I can have fun on rocky mountain trails or deep sand dunes. Keep in mind that I am not building a mall crawler or extreme off-roading machine so the tires need to reflect that as well (not all good looks but not purely functional either). Also, my mantra for this build is "try something new" so my shortlist attempts to include tire makes that I have not used or considered previously. But as mentioned before, I have used a large number of tire manufacturers and tire types in the past that worked really well so my initial considerations and resulting shortlist may still include those and/or I may have revisited some of the same tires again if the tire technology/designs had been updated for that specific tire.

So here is my shortlist of tires; please keep in mind that is "my" initial shortlist and definitely may not be yours as some of the decision making process is very subjective. For instance, some very good/excellent tires didn't make it because maybe I just didn't think they would look as good as the others; what may not appeal to me aesthetically may be "da bomb" for someone else! Also, comfort and noise can be very subjective too as what might be too loud or rough riding for me might be very tolerable or even preferred by someone else. And finally, I fall into that minority category of folks that actually beat their trucks up some for fun but maybe not as much as the hardcore rock or expedition wheelers.

I tried to include some of my thoughts on each as well as some basic stats; you may agree or disagree which is great because not every size, truck, or personal use is the same. This is only my shortlist and I haven't pulled the trigger on any tire yet (although in my mind I might be getting down to a top 3). I also included a brief listing of other tires that almost made the shortlist but fell short for some odd reason. Not all tires I reviewed or considered are listed either as there are just too many and/or some where were very similar to another. But if someone has something I missed or maybe has a different experience or perspective, please share!

Tire%20Selction-Part%201_zpslau9ndth.png

Tire%20Selction-Part%202_zpsabpfmfvx.png

Tire%20Selction-Part%203_zps6fvofekd.png

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
On the short list id run with the Red Label Generals or the Yokohamas. I have run the older Red Labels and still have the old style AT2s on my beater. They weigh a bit more, but both balanced great and actually held the balance through their lives. The red letter will turn pink in short order and evenutally rip off, but i can track down pics of those tires at 10 psi folded onto themselves in rocks with nary a problem. Word is they are actually quiet as well, but I think any of these offerings will eventually "sing as they wear"

The yokes look like the old school BFG KM1 and the Toyo Mt had a baby. Never run a set for similar reasons as you, but none the less Yokes are always a heavy consideration and seem to get awesome reviews. I do like the idea of added siping as well. @66lbs that isn't terrible either all things considered.

Strictly going from the thought that you've either run the others prior, or they just don't excite me visually. Buttttttt run what you want, I have no iron in the fire or dollars in your wallet! I think all of these choices will perform great and look the part as well.

OP
OP
Desert Dawg

Desert Dawg

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
On the short list id run with the Red Label Generals or the Yokohamas. I have run the older Red Labels and still have the old style AT2s on my beater. They weigh a bit more, but both balanced great and actually held the balance through their lives. The red letter will turn pink in short order and evenutally rip off, but i can track down pics of those tires at 10 psi folded onto themselves in rocks with nary a problem. Word is they are actually quiet as well, but I think any of these offerings will eventually "sing as they wear"

The yokes look like the old school BFG KM1 and the Toyo Mt had a baby. Never run a set for similar reasons as you, but none the less Yokes are always a heavy consideration and seem to get awesome reviews. I do like the idea of added siping as well. @66lbs that isn't terrible either all things considered.

Strictly going from the thought that you've either run the others prior, or they just don't excite me visually. Buttttttt run what you want, I have no iron in the fire or dollars in your wallet! I think all of these choices will perform great and look the part as well.

Yeah, both of those tires you mentioned (General X3 and the Yokohama G003) are high on my list! IDK, as much as the General red lettering is appealing to me, I would worry about the lettering fading to pink since they will be exposed to a lot of sun here in the high desert of NM. Still, I agree they look great!

I like your analogy of the Yokohamas being the off-spring of the KM2 and Toyo MT...lol...but I see the semblance! And I agree; at 66 lbs, the tires are not as heavy as others on the list.

That is part of the problem as all of the tires selected are excellent choices IMHO with some having slightly more attributes than others but all are close! But I think I am getting myself dialed in enough to make my decision soon!

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Yeah, both of those tires you mentioned (General X3 and the Yokohama G003) are high on my list! IDK, as much as the General red lettering is appealing to me, I would worry about the lettering fading to pink since they will be exposed to a lot of sun here in the high desert of NM. Still, I agree they look great!

I like your analogy of the Yokohamas being the off-spring of the KM2 and Toyo MT...lol...but I see the semblance! And I agree; at 66 lbs, the tires are not as heavy as others on the list.

That is part of the problem as all of the tires selected are excellent choices IMHO with some having slightly more attributes than others but all are close! But I think I am getting myself dialed in enough to make my decision soon!
If you were to go with generals they are (or were) like white letter tires where you still have a black sidewall option on one face. Otherwise, yea they'll be pink within a month. Plus with out any extra accents the Red will just look out of place honestly. Other than that tid bit, I have no experience with any of them aside from duratracs.

Tire choice is so subjective to the user there's no clear opinion except for yours honestly. I used to run nothing but swampers, now I can hardly stand the sound duratracs make. But i also spend 99.9% my time on pavement and just want the agressive look and all weather performance, not so much off pavement performance any more. Plus, your list is honestly stacked with top performers, so no matter the choice I think they'll fit the bill.

OP
OP
Desert Dawg

Desert Dawg

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Tire Selection

As my shortlist suggests, there is quite a selection available of high quality, great performing tires to choose from. Setting costs aside, I was able to narrow down my shortlist to a Top 3 based my main criteria for good looks, very good grip in most on- and off-road conditions, and on-road noise/comfort. Secondary to those were the preferences for being made in America, balanced proportions once mounted, and tire weight. As it turns out, all of tires shortlisted were made in America but only one by an American-owned company.

First, the tires that I did not carry forward included:

The Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac got dropped despite the fact that I love the available sizing options with the proportions that I prefer and the lighter weight was a real plus over all of the others on my shortlist. In the end, I just did not want to worry about the thinner sidewall when trailing and the fact that these tires do get loud with wear.

The Toyo Open Country R/T also got dropped as I really didn’t like the overall look as much as the others and performance in wet conditions was a concern. Other than that, they seem to be a great option given they are lighter than most of the others and seem to provide really good ride comfort and are quiet even with wear.

The General Grabber X3 was a strong contender for me because I just really wanted to try out this tire. Performance wise, the tire is probably one of the strongest performers in my shortlist but the on-road noise/comfort reviews were mixed (quite a bit) which gave me some pause and it was also the heaviest tire on my list. Finally, hard packed snow is its Achilles heel which threw it down some more since I encounter plenty of that on mountain roads/trails (5000-12,000 ft.) during the winter through early spring. Still, it was close!

Therefore, my remaining Top 3 were (in no particular order):

1. Cooper SST PRO

2. Nitto Ridge Grappler

3. Yokohama Geolander MT G003

The Cooper SST PRO was definitely high on my list as it is the only tire shortlisted that is made in America and owned by an American company. I also have past experience with them and can attest to their excellent grip in dry and wet conditions both on- and off-road with plenty of reviews that reinforce that. And, they are great looking as well (one of my favorites). But in the end, they were just over my preferred limit on weight (69 lbs.) and my first-hand knowledge of how loud they eventually became ruled them out (and that they didn’t meet my build mantra to try something new). However, I have to say that I really kept looking for reviews that maybe contradicted my previous experience with the tire; if I could find enough reviews about how much quieter they are from what I remember, I would tolerate another couple of pounds to run them again.

The Nitto Ridge Grappler just kept coming up as the perfect tire to select (again) as it pretty much does almost everything really well, looks good, and I have had prior experience using them on long road trips as well as on some desert and mountain off-road adventures for a couple of different builds; the ride quality and low noise on long trips, even with wear, is excellent despite the more aggressive looks. But eventually it got dropped as it did not meet my desire to “try something new” and was the smallest tire on the list (although not by much) without selecting an even heavier size. Still, using my build mantra and slightly smaller sizing (to maintain the weight) seem like weak excuses given it is that good of a tire!

So that leaves the Yokohama Geolander MT G003 as my final selection!

This tire meets all of my criteria. The tire’s styling presents aggressive good looks (although just a tad busy compared to some of the others IMHO but still very good looking) and has exceptional grip in both dry and wet conditions for on- and off-road driving. Interesting enough, it purportedly has the best stopping distance under wet conditions (for improved safety performance). The tire carcass has the strength and sidewall protection needed for overcoming tougher trail challenges such as sharp rocks and fallen trees while still handling loose sand, packed/loose snow, and mud yet reviewers mark it as one of the “quieter” MTs out there on pavement. Despite its robust construction, the tire is also one the lighter tires on my shortlist as well. Finally, it meets my build mantra to “try something new”!

And even though price was not a factor, it turns out to be a bonus as these tires are also the lowest priced. So in the end, the Yokohama Geolander MT G003 seems to be the best value overall in terms of style, features, performance, and price!

Since I have had no previous experience with these or any other Yokohama tire, I really had to base my decision on reviews by others. Fortunately, these tires were tested and reviewed by a number of reputable reviewers such as:

OffRoad Extreme: https://www.offroadxtreme.com/engine-tech/wheels-tires/yokohama-geolandar-mt-g003-tire-review/

IH8MUD.com: https://www.ih8mud.com/product-review/review-yokohama-geolandar-mt-g003/

Motor Trend: https://www.motortrend.com/news/yokohama-geolandar-mt-g003-off-road-tire-review/

Expedition Portal: https://expeditionportal.com/field-tested-yokohama-geolander-mt-g003/

Per above, there were one or two reviews where they stated that the Yokohama MTs are loud but qualified the statement since “they are a MT tire”; I took this as being somewhat subjective as the tires would be loud compared to a street or AT/hybrid tire but relatively speaking would be quieter than other MTs as also stated in most of the reviews.

There are quite a few other reviews as well if you’re so inclined to search for them. In short, all were consistent with their general evaluations that the Yokohama Geolander MT G003 provides very good to excellent performance in terms of:

• Good looks
  • Good mix of on-road and off-road driving dynamics
  • Well-built carcass; 3-poly body plies, 2-steel belts, full nylon cap, rim protector, hexagonal bead
  • New triple-polymer tread compound for 8% longer tread life over competitors
  • Aggressive sidewall armor
  • Improved block-to-void ratio
  • Variable pitch tread for reduced road noise
  • Siping depth @ 80% of the tire tread thickness
  • Excellent grip in wet conditions (on-road and wet rock); includes claim of providing 51-feet shorter stopping distance in wet conditions compared to other MTs (did not find the report)
  • Very good performance in silt, soft sand, and hard packed dirt
  • Great performance as well for rock crawling

Yokohoma%20Geolnader%20MT%20G003_zpsdkuo07ee.jpg

So I decided the Yokohama Geolander MT G003 is worth a try and will be reporting back on their performance as I take them out under varying conditions.

Now I need to order them and have the tires mounted on the Black Rhino Dugger wheels!

OP
OP
Desert Dawg

Desert Dawg

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Also got word today from Desert Rat Off-Road Center that Fabtech should be shipping my Dirt Logic suspension system within the next 7-10 days...whoopee!
upload_2020-5-19_19-37-35.gif :banana-mario:

Having them price out the Geolanders for me; if decent, I will order from them directly and have them go ahead and mount the Black Rhino wheels. Can't wait to see how they look!

OP
OP
Desert Dawg

Desert Dawg

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Well, Desert Rat's pricing was almost $50/tire higher at $330/tire than Discount Tire's listed price at $282/tire (before any other discounts or deals). So I called my buddy who manages one of the local stores; he can get another 5% off, along with discounting the warranty certificates, and may have a buyer for my Rebel wheels and tires.

Hopefully have the tires here within the week and will have them mounted up on the Black Rhino wheels. Can't wait to see how they look!

OP
OP
Desert Dawg

Desert Dawg

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Bed Topper Selection

On previous builds, I have tried out various bed topper options to help hide/secure items around town or during road trips as well as provide an additional measure of protection against the elements. When four wheeling, they are also useful for ensuring that gear and other items stay within the vehicle and not fly out of the vehicle when hitting bumps, dropping into ruts, or bouncing off rocks.

To date, I have used:

Soft Tonneau Covers:

Easily the least expensive option that I used. My only suggestion is to purchase a high quality cover as they are typically fit tighter (so less wind deflections) and stay secure better. In the past, I used the Truxedo Lo-Pro QT tonneau cover and in general it performed very well and stayed fairly taut at highway speeds (still, had some wind lift) with the self-adjusting spring tensioner and Velcro side rail cover seals.

oll-up-tonneau-cover-closed-buckskin_1_zpseden0g1t.jpg

Pros: Least expensive option, light, easy installation, provides full access to bed, easy to roll up/remove

Cons: Cannot support much weight (more with optional aluminum slat models), does not secure bed (better with the optional aluminum slat models), may lift/flap once worn with age/use (full vinyl models), cannot be used with bed carriers/rack systems, can leak

Hard Tri-Fold Covers

Tri-fold covers are very popular as they provide an additional measure of security, can be loaded with more weight, are relatively cost effective, and maintain a low, clean profile when closed or partially open but still allow full access and use of the truck bed. I had used the BakFlip cover and for the most part worked really well. I did not like the fact that totally blocks your rear view when fully open. While I did appreciate having something between a full load and the rear glass window (like when hauling motorcycles), it bothered me that I couldn’t see how secure the load was keeping while on the open road.

DSC_0158_zpszi6hrkek.jpg

Pros: Least expensive “hard cover” option, provides easy and full access/use of the truck bed, easy to fold up/remove, supports more weight if needed, can be secured, low profile (when closed)

Cons: Blocks rear window view if fully open, more expensive than soft tonneau covers, security is moderate at best, does not easily work with bed carriers/rack systems, can leak

Retractable Aluminum Covers:

I have used a number of these on past builds ranging from the basic Pace Edwards Jack Rabbit to the top of the line Truck Covers USA American Roll Cover. In general, these are excellent options if you want/need more security, provide more load strength, and would like something that works in tandem with bike/ski carriers or cargo baskets over the truck bed while providing easy access to the bed at the same time. The downside is that take up some front-end bed room to fit the canister and they are a lot more expensive than the previously mentioned options. Avoid the cheaper “plastic” models and pay the extra for the double wall aluminum models for peace of mind and longer term operation.

DSC_0102_zpsw4971oeb.jpgDSCF3572_zpscbldsgfq.jpg

Pros: Strong and easy to use, lockable at various positions along bed length, provides easy and full access/use of the truck bed, supports more weight if needed, provides better keyed/locking mechanism for improved security, low profile and does not block rearward view when fully open, works well with over the bed rack/cargo carrier systems (if optioned with Yakima/Thule side rails)

Cons: Expensive, semi-permanent once installed, eats up 10-12 inches of front bed space (although still have space underneath the canister for hauling wood, etc.), requires some maintenance, can leak some, requires drain tubes

Camper Shells/Toppers:

Of all of the options I tried out, this is my preferred bed cover for a variety reasons because form and function really can work well together. First, I really prefer the “expedition” look on my off-roaders. I know some folks can stand the look, but I think the right topper design can really compliment a vehicle’s look. Secondly, I love the security and function a topper can provide; it allows the truck to serve as an overnight camper in a pinch or even as a bug out vehicle (if you are planning for such), can secure weekend purchases from Lowes/Home Depot, etc. when running about town, can haul loads to disposal sites without the need to tarp it, provides immense additional secured storage during road trips for adventure gear, bikes, luggage, and the sort, and finally gives the vehicle more road presence in general as well.

In the past, toppers usually required investing in a more basic models for purely functional or financial reasons or having to move up to more expensive toppers if you wanted more style. Fortunately over the years there are many more offerings in the market that can appeal to a lot of needs and wallets; even the basic models look pretty darn good with various truck manufacturers’ design lines.

For myself, I have only used toppers from Leer, ARE, and Snugtop. In short, all are really, really good.

Leer is a very good option for providing up to date features and design. It was tends to be a slightly less expensive alternative to ARE and Snugtop. I used the Leer XQ 100 on my 2004 Dodge 2500HD 4x4 Cummins. At the time, I thought the Leer was just as good as the first Gen ARE Z-Series and I really liked the way the first GEN XQ 100 side glass abutted up to the cab. Paint match was very good however it did not sit as nicely (at corners) as I had hoped on my truck and had some minor hardware issues with the rear lift. But all in all, a very nice looking topper at the time.

Sorry for the quality (old photo):

• PaulsCameraDownloads064a.jpg

Later, I decided to the give the ARE Z-Series topper a try as I thought the lines married up nicely with the F150 I had at the time. The ARE was more expensive that an equivalently optioned Leer. The fitment, paint quality, and hardware was excellent and never had any issues.

DSC_0069%202_zps9ilwi7cd.jpg

After that, I decided to try the Snugtop XTR as I really like the (new at the time) design with the integrated roof bars and single center locking handle. I would use this model topper on my next (3) F150 builds as I thought it went very nicely with trucks’ lines. Interestingly enough, I thought the paint match was just slightly off for the basic white and grey colors but was excellent for the more difficult match of the pearl metallic red. Here’s a couple shots:

h%20Fabtech%20Suspension%20System%2036_zpsi0is2wyd.jpg2013-09-25%2002.46.39%202_zpsvdasf1mu.jpg

For my Tundra build, I went back to Leer, Snugtop, and ARE for another look at their latest offerings. The ARE Z-Series came out ahead with its much better hardware plus the fact I thought it provided the best match with the Tundra’s lines:

DSCF9754_zps4lrqzg2w.jpg

DSCF9818_zpselfl74he.jpg

The ARE provided excellent paint match and quality as well as overall tight fit and excellent finish throughout.

Cabover Campers:

I have never tried using an in-bed camper but was toying with the idea of having one as my wife and I are looking forward to doing some expedition camping with some friends. But I decided that instead I will probably go with an small expedition camper trailer with my truck topper serving to secure all of the other camping gear as needed.

OP
OP
Desert Dawg

Desert Dawg

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
ARE Z2 Series Topper

So for my Ram Rebel, I decided to try out the newest ARE offering; the Z2 Series topper. The Z2 comes with the same rear door features such as the heavy-duty C-spring hinges and slam latch system as the regular Z-Series which is more stout than that of the Leer’s or Snugtop’s standard hinges and latch system. I also liked the trimless edges and the contour strip at the bottom of the door that matches up nicely with the tailgate; very sleek looking. But my favorite feature are the frameless side windows (inside and out) with the optional frameless pop out vent widows with screens.

I also had ordered it with the Yakima roof rails, sliding front window that also folds down for cleaning, a 12V 3-plug power source for the bed, and a 12V LED dome light.

0Rebel_ARE%20Z2-Series_Topper_5.21%205_zpsiqnteh32.jpg

0Rebel_ARE%20Z2-Series_Topper_5.21%206_zpsqzwyqioi.jpg

Rebel_ARE%20Z2-Series_Topper_5.21%207a_zpst80jlxaw.jpg

0Rebel_ARE%20Z2-Series_Topper_5.21%208_zpsd1tvohwl.jpg

0Rebel_ARE%20Z2-Series_Topper_5.21%201_zpswylru88u.jpg

Last edited: