Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Desert Dawg

Desert Dawg

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Wheels and Tires Mounted

Spent a couple of hours at Discount Tire to mount my Black Rhino Dugger 18x8.5 +0MM offset wheels on the new Yokohama Geolander MT G003 LT295/70R18 tires (34.4 inches tall x 12 inches wide). I also went with Gorilla black locking lug nuts to complete the package. The tires balanced very nicely and are incredibly smooth at [highway] speed...amazing for such an aggressive tire. Road noise is noticeably louder but not overly intrusive at all (for now) so time will tell on how much noisier they will get. But based on the numerous reviews, I should have excellent all-season performance on- and off-road.

Based on all the comments I got from both the Discount Tire shop techs and customers alike, and my neighbors...lol...I think I did pretty good with this combo selection.

0Rhino%20Dugger_18x85%200MM%20Offset_0_zps49egoqzx.jpg

At first, the techs were worried about the wheels (with balancing weights) clearing the brake calipers; it was close! Then they didn’t think the tires would clear without rubbing but the Falcon suspension I am currently running provides an additional 1+ inches over the factory Rebel ride height and allowed the taller/wider tires on the slightly more aggressive offset wheels to clear at full lock side to side, but barely! When I get the Dirt Logic coil-overs installed in another week or so, I will net another 1+ inches of ride height over the Falcon system (so 2-2 ¼ inches over the factory Rebel ride height) and therefore no clearance issues when four wheeling.

0Rhino%20Dugger_18x85%200MM%20Offset_2_zps5wjjnno8.jpg

0Rhino%20Dugger_18x85%200MM%20Offset_5_zpsj8iloaii.jpg

Also, my constant measuring of varying tire/wheel combos paid off too. As you know, I really didn’t want the wider tires’ tread extending too far past the fenders in order to prevent throwing road debris, gravel, or rocks up at the truck. I happy to report that the tires are almost flush with the outside edge of the fenders, so perfect set up for me.

0Rhino%20Dugger_18x85%200MM%20Offset_1_zpsbiltoz3j.jpg

I am extremely excited about the final look; clean but with a custom tough look.

0Rhino%20Dugger_18x85%200MM%20Offset_6_zpstqwtn56p.jpg

Hopefully I will have my new Fabtech Dirt Logic 3-inch Coil-over/UCA system installed within another week or so as that should finalize the overall look and performance I was striving for! Soon after, I will be testing everything out at the desert dunes and trails in the Rio Puerco.

Last edited:

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Wheels and Tires Mounted

Spent a couple of hours at Discount Tire to mount my Black Rhino Dugger 18x8.5 +0MM offset wheels on the new Yokohama Geolander MT G003 LT295/70R18 tires (34.4 inches tall x 12 inches wide). I also went with Gorilla black locking lug nuts to complete the package. The tires balanced very nicely and are incredibly smooth at [highway] speed...amazing for such an aggressive tire. Road noise is noticeably louder but not overly intrusive at all (for now) so time will tell on how much noisier they will get. But based on the numerous reviews, I should have excellent all-season performance on- and off-road.

Based on all the comments I got from both the Discount Tire shop techs and customers alike, and my neighbors...lol...I think I did pretty good with this combo selection.

0Rhino%20Dugger_18x85%200MM%20Offset_0_zps49egoqzx.jpg

At first, the techs were worried about the wheels (with balancing weights) clearing the brake calipers; it was close! Then they didn’t think the tires would clear without rubbing but the Falcon suspension I am currently running provides an additional 1+ inches over the factory Rebel ride height and allowed the taller/wider tires on the slightly more aggressive offset wheels to clear at full lock side to side, but barely! When I get the Dirt Logic coil-overs installed in another week or so, I will net another 1+ inches of ride height over the Falcon system (so 2-2 ¼ inches over the factory Rebel ride height) and therefore no clearance issues when four wheeling.

0Rhino%20Dugger_18x85%200MM%20Offset_2_zps5wjjnno8.jpg

0Rhino%20Dugger_18x85%200MM%20Offset_5_zpsj8iloaii.jpg

Also, my constant measuring of varying tire/wheel combos paid off too. As you know, I really didn’t want the wider tires’ tread extending too far past the fenders in order to prevent throwing road debris, gravel, or rocks up at the truck. I happy to report that the tires are almost flush with the outside edge of the fenders, so perfect set up for me.

0Rhino%20Dugger_18x85%200MM%20Offset_1_zpsbiltoz3j.jpg

I am extremely excited about the final look; clean but with a custom tough look.

0Rhino%20Dugger_18x85%200MM%20Offset_6_zpstqwtn56p.jpg

Hopefully I will have my new Fabtech Dirt Logic 3-inch Coil-over/UCA system installed within another week or so as that should finalize the overall look and performance I was striving for! Soon after, I will be testing everything out at the desert dunes and trails in the Rio Puerco.

Man that looks KILLER! Gottaget say we need a full truck shot! The wheel and tire combo looks fantastic, those treads are MEATY! I really like that you stayed with 295s, not that they are "skinny" but they aren't disproportionately wide either.

You gonna run anything for rock sliders? How about mud flaps to ward off rock chips.

Hbrichman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Truck looks great, I love the shell and wheel / tire setup. Currently contemplating going the topper route or getting bed rails to put a rooftop tent on. Looking forward to see the new coilover setup once you get it installed [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Desert Dawg

Desert Dawg

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Man that looks KILLER! Gottaget say we need a full truck shot! The wheel and tire combo looks fantastic, those treads are MEATY! I really like that you stayed with 295s, not that they are "skinny" but they aren't disproportionately wide either.

You gonna run anything for rock sliders? How about mud flaps to ward off rock chips.

Thanks; yes, I purposely didn't want too wide a tire as MTs don't do as well in loose sand (they really want to dig) and the fact that I wanted everything tucked in under the fender. Right now, no plans for mud flaps but will see how things work out.

Sliders would be very functional when wheeling, but with a shorter wife and older family members, they don't drop down enough to be useful as steps. But to that end, I also don't want anything dropping down to far and getting hung up on the trail. So I am going to go with the AMP Research retractable side steps again as they retract fully up and allow me to keep the clearance I need. Of course, they would crush if I ever slide over a boulder but so far that has not happened yet with other truck builds I have used them on. Always a first time!

I only took one quick photo of the entire truck with the new shoes as I was going to wait for the reveal when my suspension gets installed. But here is a photo with better ones to come:

edited-image_zpsjggg5pmr.jpg

OP
OP
Desert Dawg

Desert Dawg

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Truck looks great, I love the shell and wheel / tire setup. Currently contemplating going the topper route or getting bed rails to put a rooftop tent on. Looking forward to see the new coilover setup once you get it installed [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you! I am really hoping the suspension arrives soon!

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Thanks; yes, I purposely didn't want too wide a tire as MTs don't do as well in loose sand (they really want to dig) and the fact that I wanted everything tucked in under the fender. Right now, no plans for mud flaps but will see how things work out.

Sliders would be very functional when wheeling, but with a shorter wife and older family members, they don't drop down enough to be useful as steps. But to that end, I also don't want anything dropping down to far and getting hung up on the trail. So I am going to go with the AMP Research retractable side steps again as they retract fully up and allow me to keep the clearance I need. Of course, they would crush if I ever slide over a boulder but so far that has not happened yet with other truck builds I have used them on. Always a first time!

I only took one quick photo of the entire truck with the new shoes as I was going to wait for the reveal when my suspension gets installed. But here is a photo with better ones to come:

edited-image_zpsjggg5pmr.jpg

I don't normally envy many other rigs, but I'd takea the keys to yours in a heart beat! Very well put together, yet simple.

Those tires spec out almost identically to my 315s, which I find crazy. But they look freaking mean. I really miss how much better a good mud tire makes a build look. The only reason I mentioned sliders was even lifted these trucks are slung low. I swear with a 1.5" body lift the rocker/bottom of frame looks visually like other manufacturers. I've only dinged my pinch weld one time on a jeep trail essentially where I shouldn't have been, so I think its mostly a non issue. The amps will suffice for sure, and you could always add sliders if the need ever did arise. Same for flaps, depends on how those tires chuck stuff. With a mild offset you're running shouldn't be terrible, though it seems paint its fairly thin on these late model trucks so I always end up with a set, no matter how meh they look. I can't wait to see what else you have up your sleeve andI some trips as well! A+ stuff bud!

Edit so as it sits that's just +1" front suspension?

OP
OP
Desert Dawg

Desert Dawg

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I don't normally envy many other rigs, but I'd takea the keys to yours in a heart beat! Very well put together, yet simple.

Those tires spec out almost identically to my 315s, which I find crazy. But they look freaking mean. I really miss how much better a good mud tire makes a build look. The only reason I mentioned sliders was even lifted these trucks are slung low. I swear with a 1.5" body lift the rocker/bottom of frame looks visually like other manufacturers. I've only dinged my pinch weld one time on a jeep trail essentially where I shouldn't have been, so I think its mostly a non issue. The amps will suffice for sure, and you could always add sliders if the need ever did arise. Same for flaps, depends on how those tires chuck stuff. With a mild offset you're running shouldn't be terrible, though it seems paint its fairly thin on these late model trucks so I always end up with a set, no matter how meh they look. I can't wait to see what else you have up your sleeve andI some trips as well! A+ stuff bud!

Edit so as it sits that's just +1" front suspension?

Well thanks...that is quite the compliment! :)

It has been a while since I ran a full MT but tires have change a lot over the years so thought I would give it a try. So far, I am highly impressed with them as they look fantastic (everyone I have showed the truck too just love the wheels and tires together).

I hate how these trucks are getting lower and lower to meet front end crash standards as well as trying to squeak whatever mileage gains they might net out. It is getting ridiculous; pull up next to an old 1970- early 2000 full sized truck and they look like they're lifted when in fact they're completely stock...lol.

Yeah, the AMPs will do fine; if I ever do ding one, I can always get a replacement board. But I also like the fact that provide slip free surface along the entire cab length for when I need to access the roof area. But would be nice not to worry about them out on the trail.

I have a few more things I want to do (never completely done...lol) so glad to share! Thanks for following and all the input!

LarryA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I really like the tire and wheel combo, I got stuck in some slushy snow today, I wonder if those tires would have made it through.

Are you thinking about a front camera? That is the one thing I wish was available on the Rebel trim. I didn’t care for the 4th Rebel much, but love the 5th gen version.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Well thanks...that is quite the compliment! :)

It has been a while since I ran a full MT but tires have change a lot over the years so thought I would give it a try. So far, I am highly impressed with them as they look fantastic (everyone I have showed the truck too just love the wheels and tires together).

I hate how these trucks are getting lower and lower to meet front end crash standards as well as trying to squeak whatever mileage gains they might net out. It is getting ridiculous; pull up next to an old 1970- early 2000 full sized truck and they look like they're lifted when in fact they're completely stock...lol.

Yeah, the AMPs will do fine; if I ever do ding one, I can always get a replacement board. But I also like the fact that provide slip free surface along the entire cab length for when I need to access the roof area. But would be nice not to worry about them out on the trail.

I have a few more things I want to do (never completely done...lol) so glad to share! Thanks for following and all the input!

I'm still in the mindset that all mud tires sound like swampers or nitto mud Grapplers. I swear the drone from either still echoes in my head. Things have come leaps and bounds for sure! What you're running look like they'll be no slouch for sure!

I agree 100% about old vs new. Luckily with a few changes that's easily rectified, and the wheel openings will allow 35-37s with no modifications. In the words of anyone 30 and up who is ever played with old iron, "they don't make an like they used to". My first rig was an 83 k1500 8 lug swapped, 4" lift on 37s with the Muncie 3 spd. Oh how things have changed!

I've never even seen a set of amp steps in person. So if they're serviceable like that heck I'd run them as well! For the amount of time youll spend using the truck like a normal vehicle compared to dragging it into a spot you may need sliders they make much more sense. I added steps to mine for the exact reasons you previously mentioned tho mine don't inspector gadget out of the way!

Our build are never done and are ever changing, You know that! And that's why we're here, to share amongst one another and spend each other's money!!!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Desert Dawg

Desert Dawg

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I really like the tire and wheel combo, I got stuck in some slushy snow today, I wonder if those tires would have made it through.

Are you thinking about a front camera? That is the one thing I wish was available on the Rebel trim. I didn’t care for the 4th Rebel much, but love the 5th gen version.

Thanks Larry. Yeah, these tires should have no problem but it's going to a while now before I can prove it out in the snow.

I am thinking about a front camera! I have not started my research yet nor how I want to configure it but something I hope to do soon! It is insane that you can't have one on the Rebel of all the 1500 models that would go off-road; the Power Wagon has one!

Bjammin101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am looking forward to seeing how the 3" Fabtech turns out on your truck. This is the direction I think I want to go.

As far as the difference between our trucks, mine has the off road package and you have the Rebel which has it's own suspension package from the factory. Mine, I believe, is just a spacer with "heavy duty shocks" and the Rebel has a 1" suspension lift or is it a spacer too with Bilstein shocks? So a 3" lift for us is basically only going to net ~2" right?

LarryA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting about the Rebel (and off road package on non-Rebels). When I compared the specs of 2020 models (Laramie and Rebel) the over all height and ground clearance are the same. This leads me to believe that for the 5th generation trucks there isn't a 1 inch lift with the Rebel or off road packages. I believe the 4th generation Rebels did have the 1 inch lift.

Any way - that is the impression I get from looking around on ramtrucks.com

OP
OP
Desert Dawg

Desert Dawg

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I am looking forward to seeing how the 3" Fabtech turns out on your truck. This is the direction I think I want to go.

As far as the difference between our trucks, mine has the off road package and you have the Rebel which has it's own suspension package from the factory. Mine, I believe, is just a spacer with "heavy duty shocks" and the Rebel has a 1" suspension lift or is it a spacer too with Bilstein shocks? So a 3" lift for us is basically only going to net ~2" right?

I am not sure about the ORP but the Rebel suspension uses the Bilstein shocks with no spacers.

I called Fabtech on the advertising they have stating that their 3-inch Dirt Logic system will actually net 3-inches of lift on the Rebel. The Fabtech rep tried to assure me that I will indeed get 3-inches of lift on the Rebel but both my shop, Desert Rat Offroad Center, and myself don't believe it as they use the same web page and kit part number for both the 1500 (non-Rebel) and Rebel. So I think it is a matter of semantics within the advertising. As mentioned previously, I was trying to avoid the same issue I ran into with my recently purchased Teraflex Falcon Shock system that I am currently running; their website advertised the system as providing up to 2.25-inches of front lift for the Rebel but actually only netted one half of that (again, the Rebel factory system already accounted for 1-inch of that lift although Terafelx doesn't tell you that). I believe the Fabtech system will be similar in that regard as it will provide 3-inches of lift once the factory Rebel system is removed but in actuality will only net 2-inches of lift over and above the factory suspension since the Rebel already sits 1-inch higher than the base Ram 1500. I just wish the marketing/technical folks with these companies would tell the straight story up front as they know if a Rebel owner is looking for a 3-inch lift, they are calling from the perspective of how their truck model is purchased directly from the manufacturer (not once the factory components are removed).

Having said all that, I will probably be eating crow if the Fabtech system actually nets out 3-inches over factory..lol. But I will be happy getting the 2-inches over factory Rebel ride height as that is all I really need.

OP
OP
Desert Dawg

Desert Dawg

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Interesting about the Rebel (and off road package on non-Rebels). When I compared the specs of 2020 models (Laramie and Rebel) the over all height and ground clearance are the same. This leads me to believe that for the 5th generation trucks there isn't a 1 inch lift with the Rebel or off road packages. I believe the 4th generation Rebels did have the 1 inch lift.

Any way - that is the impression I get from looking around on ramtrucks.com

@LarryA; interesting! I never made the comparison of other models on the Ram website and it does indeed show non-Rebel Ram 1500 4x4s as having same overall ride height as the Rebel 4x4. That makes me wonder if my shop is stuck in 2018 (since not too many folks are replacing the factory Rebel suspensions yet)? If so, that would support what the Fabtech rep was saying about the Rebel actually netting out 3-inches of ride height over the factory suspension.

Now I am really anxious trying to figure out what the results will be! :confused:

Bjammin101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
From this link - https://www.tfltruck.com/2018/05/20...ad-package-rebel-nicer-interior-ask-tfltruck/

I am coming to the conclusion that the ride height between a Ram with the off road group and steel springs vs the Rebel with steel springs is roughly the same with the variance between tires. It appears they both have a lift but the Rebel has bilstein shocks while the off road group is a "HD tuned shock". You can also get the off road group on an air suspension equipped Ram but then the off-road 2 level is removed netting the same overall height.

Will still be interesting to see how it turns out for your Rebel though. When do you expect to have it installed?

OP
OP
Desert Dawg

Desert Dawg

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
From this link - https://www.tfltruck.com/2018/05/20...ad-package-rebel-nicer-interior-ask-tfltruck/

I am coming to the conclusion that the ride height between a Ram with the off road group and steel springs vs the Rebel with steel springs is roughly the same with the variance between tires. It appears they both have a lift but the Rebel has bilstein shocks while the off road group is a "HD tuned shock". You can also get the off road group on an air suspension equipped Ram but then the off-road 2 level is removed netting the same overall height.

Will still be interesting to see how it turns out for your Rebel though. When do you expect to have it installed?

My shop was just informed by Fabtech that all the components are in with exception of the heavy duty ball joints, so they are expecting the Dirt Logic system to ship within the next 5-10 days. Of course, I will have to see how soon I can the installation scheduled once it arrives. The wait is excruciating...lol.

LarryA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey Desert dawg, curious, what is the max payload for your Rebel?

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
My shop was just informed by Fabtech that all the components are in with exception of the heavy duty ball joints, so they are expecting the Dirt Logic system to ship within the next 5-10 days. Of course, I will have to see how soon I can the installation scheduled once it arrives. The wait is excruciating...lol.
Any news?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
am3334