Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Desert Dawg

Desert Dawg

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I've watched this thread from the very start. The thoughtful transformation you've accomplished is amazing. Really well done!

Oh yeah, SUPER jealous of your shop. :happy175:

That's awesome...nice to know a couple folks follow along...lol. Thanks for the compliment too!

I will try and update soon as I do have some other off-road adventures and mods to share.

Getting some more stuff to do on the truck has incentivized me to clean up the shop again; trust me, it was a total mess right before I took these shots as I have a number of projects going on around the house/yard and didn't keep up with cleaning or putting things away...lol.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
That's awesome...nice to know a couple folks follow along...lol. Thanks for the compliment too!

I will try and update soon as I do have some other off-road adventures and mods to share.

Getting some more stuff to do on the truck has incentivized me to clean up the shop again; trust me, it was a total mess right before I took these shots as I have a number of projects going on around the house/yard and didn't keep up with cleaning or putting things away...lol.
LOL... Also, I'm living vicariously through your build, I have an only slightly modded Gen4 Rebel in the same color.

OP
OP
Desert Dawg

Desert Dawg

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
DesertDawg, You ever make it down south to Las Cruces? Dona Ana Mountains (my back yard) have some real technical trails...
Yeah, I wanted to organize a Rebel/1500 run somewhere down there (Silver City or Las Cruces) as there are a lot of places to check out! But the summer got away from me. The Dona Ana Moutains would be tremendous.

Last edited:

67 StingrayJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I spend a lot of time in Ruidoso. The Lincoln Nat Forrest has some trails. I like taking the SxS out there more though. It's tough to take a $65k truck and beat on it like I can the SxS. Gas is a lot cheaper too.

I was looking to getting a Viair system like you have. What size tires are you running, and how long does it take your compressor to air them all back up? Have you considered doing an onboard air system?

OP
OP
Desert Dawg

Desert Dawg

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So speaking of off-roading, here are some shots I took during my latest off-road trip over Engineer Pass during the 4th of July weekend. I had posted this in another forum so some may have already seen these. If not, be good to share here!

Admittedly, I had not been over the pass since the early 80s when I used to work at a silver mine near Ouray, CO. Back then, I had a lifted full-sized Chevy Blazer (short wheel base 2 door) with 35s and no issues. Now I am taking a modern full-sized Ram crew cab truck with a moderate lift and 34s. So I knew this might be interesting.

In preparation, I researched the trail conditions and even watched some recent videos of full-sized trucks making the pass. All seemed pretty straightforward and very doable, but I failed to note the actual routes that were taken. I decided to take the lower backcountry bypass route and soon found out things were going to be a lot more interesting than I had anticipated.

eer_Pass_-_Alpine_Route_Couresty_Pikes_Peak_Trails.jpg

Started out of Ouray to the trailhead; things looked really good for first mile or so as the trail seem pretty tame with spots around a 3-4 difficulty rating.

IMG-0279.jpg

IMG-0278.jpg

Things quickly escalated up to a 5-6 difficulty (if not a 7 in some locations). I did not expect to encounter the significant number of larger boulders, deep crevices, and rock ledges at the switchbacks and narrow sections. I certainly didn't recall of that during my previous run but I am sure the trail has seriously degraded due to weather and use over the years. To be clear, this trail can be very dangerous but still very doable with larger ATVs and lifted Jeeps that were out too, but this was a challenge for my moderately lifted long wheel base Rebel.

Unfortunately, due to the insane trail traffic (ATVs were like ants over the entire trail) combined with my attention on trying to traverse the harder portions, I was not able to get out to take photos like I usually do until we got to safer ground. In addition, the run really beat up my wife (she is a sport but honestly wasn’t enjoying all the drama and insanely rough ride). I also beat up the Rebel pretty good as I managed to drop it twice and bottomed it out (even split my faux side step guard), but once we made out of the backcountry bypass, we were onto the Alpine Loop.

IMG-0283.jpg

IMG-0280.jpg

The trail settled in a more doable 3-5 range with the occasional outcropping rather than the constant barrage of the lower section. Passed by some old 1800-era abandoned mines and cabins that were cool to look at, but by this time we just wanted to make it to the pass as the weather started looking a bit iffy and I didn’t want to risk having to encounter any more challenging sections under wet conditions. The scenery was amazing and so we enjoyed the rest of the ride up to the summit.

IMG-0287.jpg

Near the summit, we stopped at Odom Point to take in more of the views.

IMG-0305.jpg

IMG-0296.jpg

IMG-0297.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Desert Dawg

Desert Dawg

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Once at Engineer Pass, we spent some taking it all in then made our way back down via the easier route to Lake City since my wife would rather walk down than take another beating…lol.

IMG-0311.jpg

IMG-0312.jpg

IMG-0316.jpg

IMG-0328.jpg

IMG-0319.jpg

Couldn’t think of a better way to spend the 4th of July!

IMG-0323.jpg

OP
OP
Desert Dawg

Desert Dawg

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I spend a lot of time in Ruidoso. The Lincoln Nat Forrest has some trails. I like taking the SxS out there more though. It's tough to take a $65k truck and beat on it like I can the SxS. Gas is a lot cheaper too.

I was looking to getting a Viair system like you have. What size tires are you running, and how long does it take your compressor to air them all back up? Have you considered doing an onboard air system?
Yeah, I am going to have to spend more to keep from bashing my now $70K, soon to be $80K, truck any more than I have already. It's amazing how much these trucks cost now to begin with (no matter what make or model) so it does seem counterintuitive to take them out for a bashing. Seems even crazier with +$80K TRX and Raptors (before mods)...lol.

To be honest, I have yet to take my tires down more than about +10 psi (which is amazing considering some of trails I untentionally tackled). So it really didn't long to re-air. I keep saying that I am going to try taking a tire down to just 25 psi; want to experiment at home on how long it would take but haven't dedicated any time to do so (which is silly since I'll sit around talking about trucks and cars over a beer...lol).

But I really like the Viair and I have considered converting it to an onboard system. I'll probably get around to doing that once I am out of mod ideas, but right now I keep it handy under my rear seat.

Edit: forgot to answer your question! I am running LT295/70R18s which are 34.4 x 12.

Edits: Spelling

Last edited:
OP
OP
Desert Dawg

Desert Dawg

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Speaking of damages.

I did self-inflict some trail damage during my last off-road excursion on the lower sections to Engineer Pass. The actual damage was more superficial than what it sounded like when I initially dropped the truck over some rock outcroppings. I am sure that replacing the AMP Power Step guard rail won't be cheap; although nothing like a real slider, it did a fair job in protecting the step despite taking a couple hits with the full load of the truck.

Engineer_Pass_Damages_AMP_Power_Step_Guard.jpg

Engineer_Pass_Damages_AMP_Power_Step.jpg

The front wheel well liner got torn out from grabbing a boulder but can be repaired (assuming I can tie it back into place after reforming it with some heat). If not, I will have to replace it too but I have yet to really look at it.

Engineer_Pass_Damages_Wheel_Well_Liner.jpg

Hence my desire for slighly more clearance but don't think that is going to be acheived as I need a lot more lift to fit 36-37 inch tall tires. I could do that with the BDS 6-inch Fox Coiolver system mentioned previously but then I wouldn't be able to secure my rig in the garage (which is very important as I live in Albuquerque, the #1 place for auto thefts in the country of course).

Last edited:

67 StingrayJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Speaking of damages.

I did self-inflict some trail damage during my last off-road excursion on the lower sections to Engineer Pass. The actual damage was more superficial than what it sounded like when I initially dropped the truck over some rock outcroppings. I am sure that replacing the AMP Power Step guard rail won't be cheap; although nothing like a real slider, it did a fair job in protecting the step despite taking a couple hits with the full load of the truck.

One thing can be said, though expensive, the retractable types impact ground clearance the least. Could have been much worse if you had some traditional running boards.

The Workshop Implanted Finance Executive said I could get those fancy AMP running boards you got there, but I inevitably passed because I was afraid if I hit them on the trails, they would get bent and bind, or worse stop functioning all together. It looks like what you did was minimal.

OP
OP
Desert Dawg

Desert Dawg

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
One thing can be said, though expensive, the retractable types impact ground clearance the least. Could have been much worse if you had some traditional running boards.

The Workshop Implanted Finance Executive said I could get those fancy AMP running boards you got there, but I inevitably passed because I was afraid if I hit them on the trails, they would get bent and bind, or worse stop functioning all together. It looks like what you did was minimal.
Exactly, I have installed the AMP Powersteps on several of my builds. I really wanted sliders but they don't make very effective steps for shorter or older passengers (especially when wet) so I really need some real steps. I do recommend these AMP Powerstep XL models with the semi-rock guards (although I managed to crack one in half, it still protected the retractable step from being destroyed) as well as the fact that the XL models drop the step another 3-inches lower than normal (so perfect for lifted trucks).

And love the "Workshop Implanted Finance Executive" reference...lol!

OP
OP
Desert Dawg

Desert Dawg

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Took the Rebel off-roading up to Yankee Boy Basin at the base of Mount Sneffels (Elevation 14,150 ft.), Colorado for the day after spending the previous day trailing over to Silver Jack Reservoir. The Basin is pretty easy to access for most 4x4 trucks/SUVs with good tires although the further in you go, the rougher it gets (heavy rock trails). I finally had to turn around at the point where access is limited to highly lifted, short-wheelbase, 4x4s. While I have no issue with my suspension and tire setup along with my off-roading chops to go further, I couldn't risk damaging the truck or getting stuck trying to get over the the high breakover ridges. Nonetheless, was a great time!

IMG-0732.jpg

IMG-0788_(3).jpg

IMG-0846.jpg

IMG-0818.jpg

IMG-0739.jpg

IMG-0760.jpg

IMG-0753.jpg

IMG-0825.jpg

RogerRoger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Doing some research for modding my 17 Rebel and stumbled across this very informative thread! Your truck looks great.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Happen to stumble upon your build. Wow.... excellent write-up skills. Informative, easy to read, and the Ram looks great.

Well done :waytogo:

OP
OP
Desert Dawg

Desert Dawg

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So been a little remiss and distracted to keep my mods moving along. But I did finally get the skidplate facia powder coated and started assembly of the hidden winch mount.

I originally thought that I was going to powder coat the replacement skidplate facia a matte black rather than leaving it stock. But when I took the parts down to the powder coating shop, I just couldn't commit to an all back lower facia as I still like how the Rebel is instantly recognizable from the other models in large part to the front grille and lower skid plate facia. So I took some inspiration from the TRX and compromised with a gun metal grey color that doesn't black out the entire front end in order to still provide some contrast; I thought the color will also work well with my Black Rhino wheel selection as I plan on painting the wheel rings the same color (providing a bit more definition between the wheels and tires) and also tie in with the gun metal grey of the winch hook (per below).

Powder_Coated_Skid_Plate_Fascia_1.jpg

Powder_Coated_Skid_Plate_Fascia_2.jpg

The other thing of note is that I also had the Vice Design mounting brackets powder coated a matte black to blend in more with the matte black grille and trim colors. Since the mount facing will be fully exposed out in front of the lower bumper, I had all of the exposed welds ground smooth prior to the powder coating for a very finished look.

Winch_Mount_1.jpg

Finally, I wanted a 1.5-inch thick fairlead to provide a tad more separation from the the front bumper. I went with a Warn Hawse-style fairlead also in matte black married up to a gun metal grey Factory 55 Ultrahook.

Warn_1.5-inch_Fairlead_and_Factor_55_Ultrahook_2.jpg

Now I just need to make time to take apart the front bumper and install with new winch setup!

Last edited:

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
So been a little remiss and distracted to keep my mods moving along. But I did finally get the skidplate facia powder coated and started assembly of the hidden winch mount.

I originally thought that I was going to powder coat the replacement skidplate facia a matte black rather than leaving it stock. But when I took the parts down to the powder coating shop, I just couldn't commit to an all back lower facia as I still like how the Rebel is instantly recognizable from the other models in large part to the front grille and lower skid plate facia. So I took some inspiration from the TRX and compromised with a gun metal grey color that doesn't black out the entire front end in order to still provide some contrast; I thought the color will also work well with my Black Rhino wheel selection as I plan on painting the wheel rings the same color (providing a bit more definition between the wheels and tires) and also tie in with the gun metal grey of the winch hook (per below).

The other thing of note is that I also had the Vice Design mounting brackets powder coated a matte black to blend in more with the matte black grille and trim colors. Since the mount facing will be fully exposed out in front of the lower bumper, I had all of the exposed welds grinded smooth prior to the powder coating for a very finished look.

Finally, I wanted a 1.5-inch thick fairlead to provide a tad more separation from the the front bumper. I went with a Warn Hawse-style fairlead also in matte black married up to a gun metal grey Factory 55 Ultrahook.

Now I just need to make time to take apart the front bumper and install with new winch setup!

It's always in the little & subtle details that totally makes a big difference. Not that these are little, but nicely hidden. Enjoying watching your build :waytogo:

Last edited: