Desperate to keep water and dust out of the tub

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aussie-John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi V8
Hey all,

So I have a 2022 DT 1500 Laramie. It has one of those trifold hard covers over the tub (installed by the dealer) and I just can't seem to keep the water and dust out of the tub.

The water seems to just get in everywhere, but the dust is unbearable. One drive up a dirt road and EVERYTHING in the tub will be covered in dust.

I am at the point of getting ready to offload this truck, as it really is pointless not being able to have something in the tub that won't get wet, or covered in dust.

And yes - It's that bad!!

Any ideas are welcomed.

Cheers
J

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Calm Down, my easily excited Friend.
Weather seal your tailgate, m8ee.

Your Bed Cover (Tub Cover) is only sealing along the rails.
Check fitment, both against the cab of the truck and along the tailgate itself.
IF all looks tight, then run water of the darn thing and see if any gets inside.

If your gear is gettign wet or dusty, the go fetch yourself a bucket of dust. toss it into the air, in front of a powerful fan, lbowing tightly against all the points of entry. Along edges of the tailgate primarily.

spray water along tailagtes lines and that tri fold cover thingy.

you will figure it out, then just pick up some weatehr atrippping and have at it.

I run on dirt roads, a bunch and every single turck getes a topper or cover and the tailagtes gets sealed.

then I buy an extra seal kit and tweak or fine tune my sealing it from all foreign gunk.

tub is dry as a popcorn fart now.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Tailgate seal kit

00.jpg

01.jpg

when ya get it done, then test with water from the house. go slowly and only test a foot or so, then stop, pop tailgate ot tub cover and see what got wet, if anything.

If wet, ya got work to do to seal it up, better.

once you get everything done, to were water form teh house garden h ose will not get through, I;d say you good to go for monsoon rains.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel

It may be incorrect, but to me, the 3 top brand tailgate seals all look like they were made by the same company

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
again, once everything is sealed up, then test the seals.
water test, followed by a blown dust testing, is best.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I don't know what brand bed cover that Ram uses.

Many bed covers have plastic tubing that connects to the bed rails, those tubes, at the bottom end, are stuck in pre cut holes in the bed, near the bottom.

We don't get rain often, but lately we have had several days of rain
I have noticed in the last few days, there is liquid under the truck, close to the area of the fuel door,
At first i thought it was may fuel tank leaking

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Do you have a special local facility for dust bowl testing? :cool:

Yep.
Head out , on gravel, and find the newly graded stuff. Scoop bunch of the fine particles along the side, into a bucket.
place my stand up, hurricane force fan, right in front of area that I want to test, and drizzle out that dust, from my winter salt spreader, 2 qt size, cup.

works like a charm.Best part , of all, keep wife outta the garage when I'm doing it.
Seems like whenever I am doing, anything, that's when she wants to come out, for a smoke,
and provide me, with her simply INVALUABLE, Tidbits of Wisedom.

Only reason I even bother doing any of it, is, I got to haul my Wife's Crafty Crap, in my truck bed
and if it gets wet or dirty, I get yelled at.

Got this "Shut her the Hell Up" System, Down Pat.

EDIT:

I'm a Retired Railroader.
I can fix darn near anything, darn near anywhere, with
a pair of Channel Locks, Duct tape, bungee straps & this RR Lantern

0000.jpg

Spin the handle, around, and that squared off base, makes a mighty fine Hammer/Weapon too.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yep.
Head out , on gravel, and find the newly graded stuff. Scoop bunch of the fine particles along the side, into a bucket.
place my stand up, hurricane force fan, right in front of area that I want to test, and drizzle out that dust, from my winter salt spreader, 2 qt size, cup.

works like a charm.Best part , of all, keep wife outta the garage when I'm doing it.
Seems like whenever I am doing, anything, that's when she wants to come out, for a smoke,
and provide me, with her simply INVALUABLE, Tidbits of Wisedom.

Only reason I even bother doing any of it, is, I got to haul my Wife's Crafty Crap, in my truck bed
and if it gets wet or dirty, I get yelled at.

Got this "Shut her the Hell Up" System, Down Pat.

EDIT:

I'm a Retired Railroader.
I can fix darn near anything, darn near anywhere, with
a pair of Channel Locks, Duct tape, bungee straps & this RR Lantern

View attachment 517311

Spin the handle, around, and that squared off base, makes a mighty fine Hammer/Weapon too.
You forgot the JB Weld :waytogo: :Big Laugh:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lasse452