deteriorating lifters and camshafts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L SRT8 HEMI
Just got the diagnosis that my tick which seems to be getting more noticeable is definitely lifters. Going to try Redline 5W30 1st before I make any hasty decisions.
Anything I do at this point is more economical than replacing the truck. What I would like to know is if by replacing the cam and lifters with aftermarket will this prevent the lifters and cam from deteriorating again? What is to prevent this from continuing to happen? What problem causes it in the 1st place?

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Post a vid of your tick if you can make sure its not exhaust manifolds and what's the mileage on your truck? The rest of your questions are up for debate we all have our own opinions but yes generally after lifters and cams are done once lifter/cam will out live the rest of the truck. Also Gm/chevy also have this issue with lifters eating cams they have DOD/MDS like our trucks do.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Post a vid of your tick if you can make sure its not exhaust manifolds and what's the mileage on your truck? The rest of your questions are up for debate we all have our own opinions but yes generally after lifters and cams are done once lifter/cam will out live the rest of the truck. Also Gm/chevy also have this issue with lifters eating cams they have DOD/MDS like our trucks do.
you need to post so we can hear like the man said. The number one cause of real bad tick after a cam swap is inproper rod placement after the cam job. But it is complicated because in a large percent of cam/lifter swaps there is natural hemi tick. If indeed it is getting worse, it will likely be the pushrods, they come in different lengths and this happens more often then it should. When a pushrod is improperly placed they bend even if it was correct rod, game over needs to be replaced asap.