Detroit Truetrac

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, in budgeting for a 6.4 swap, I've learned that a Detroit trutrac will be immediately necessary as the extra power will eat up the stock LSD pretty quick.

I've never messed with gears or diffs before and I couldn't find any good walk throughs on this forum or YouTube videos. Based on that, I figured $500 in labor based on other comments, so I figured I'd reach out to some shops... a little shocked at the quote below. At that price, I'll just have to suck it up and figure it out myself. Anybody have any good walkthrough directions, maybe a good shop manual that covers this? Any specialty tools needed other than for setting backlash?

Screenshot_20220128-121024_Drive.jpg

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
That is actually a pretty decent price at least around here lol .... this type of work is not easy, it really does take a bit of skill, I remember doing a full rebuild with my uncle a few years ago and just the backlash alone took him a while to nail it down ... if you want it done right you have to pay, I wouldn't try it unless you know something about doing this type of work, you will probably end up doing it yourself and then something happens and you end up paying double the amount to fix it ... sucks man but that's how it goes

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wait why specifically would extra power damage your friction LSD, unless you're just doing burnouts all day? If you're not spinning wheels the LSD isn't really experiencing wear

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is actually a pretty decent price at least around here lol .... this type of work is not easy, it really does take a bit of skill, I remember doing a full rebuild with my uncle a few years ago and just the backlash alone took him a while to nail it down ... if you want it done right you have to pay, I wouldn't try it unless you know something about doing this type of work, you will probably end up doing it yourself and then something happens and you end up paying double the amount to fix it ... sucks man but that's how it goes
Well ****, that's not what I wanted to hear lol. Appreciate the insight. Guess my Circle D torque converter just got bumped down to a street edge lol. I was going to buy mostly new parts and engine accessories so that I could build the longblock up one weekend d and drop it in the next, I may have to rethink that strategy. I see new oil pans are unavailable too.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
I agree as well. Really comes down to the labor cost, looks like @ $1000 from your estimate. Not cheap, but then again, you are doing quite an upgrade. Don't want to "cheap out" on something that will easily cost more than $1000 should something not be quite right and grenade. :waytogo:

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
I agree as well. Really comes down to the labor cost, looks like @ $1000 from your estimate. Not cheap, but then again, you are doing quite an upgrade. Don't want to "cheap out" on something that will easily cost more than $1000 should something not be quite right and grenade. :waytogo:
yeah... on my lift kit install I was charnged $1100 in labor lol ... for my regearing it was cheap as fawk only $850 ... how is that ? lol ..

Some things just don't make sense at all lol ... while others do ...

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
agree with everyone, if you've never done a rear end before and don't have more than 'every day' tools, pay someone. HOWEVER, after you screw up one or two, every rear end you do thereafter gets easier.

also, the hard part might be finding a shop manual for the rear axle. I think Ram still uses AAM rear ends but I don't think the one in your truck is old enough for there to be much specific literature on it.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
btw, if you do go truetrac, you'll get more scrubbing on the inner wheel during tighter turns vs a clutch type LSD. I have one in all 3 of my older vehicles and it not infrequently sounds like I'm goosing the gas pedal when turning from a stop at an intersection.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
agree with everyone, if you've never done a rear end before and don't have more than 'every day' tools, pay someone. HOWEVER, after you screw up one or two, every rear end you do thereafter gets easier.

also, the hard part might be finding a shop manual for the rear axle. I think Ram still uses AAM rear ends but I don't think the one in your truck is old enough for there to be much specific literature on it.
I thought I helped do one years ago but obviously I didn't lol .... it's no easy task, one mistake and boom goes your gears lol .... just pay it to get it done right first time and you won't have to worry about it , if something goes wrong they usually have a good warranty to fix it ....

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd actually rather do it myself if I can get away with it. Not just to save money, but I also enjoy tinkering and expanding my skillset. Just tough when you don't have someone experienced working with you or some really clear instructions AND you're being told it does take some skill lol. I'll be doing the engine swap myself.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
I'd actually rather do it myself if I can get away with it. Not just to save money, but I also enjoy tinkering and expanding my skillset. Just tough when you do t have someone experienced working with you or some really clear instructions AND you're being told it does take some skill lol. I'll be doing the engine swap myself.
Oh I love doing the work myself too lol ... but on some things they can have my money to do it for me lol ....

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I guess the fact that I'm shocked a pro shop, that specializes in axle work only, is going to take about a full day, and you guys say that's normal... means I should keep my grubby lil fingers outta there lol.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
I guess the fact that I'm shocked a pro shop, that specializes in axle work only, is going to take about a full day, and you guys say that's normal... means I should keep my grubby lil fingers outta there lol.
I rather them take all the time they need as long as they do the work right .... call other shops don't just let one quote steer you away from getting it done by a shop ... you might find another shop that has a good reputation that will do it for less .... I was referred to the shop that did mine by a youtuber and hit them up and I was like, "nice, good price and a good shop" ......

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I rather them take all the time they need as long as they do the work right .... call other shops don't just let one quote steer you away from getting it done by a shop ... you might find another shop that has a good reputation that will do it for less .... I was referred to the shop that did mine by a youtuber and hit them up and I was like, "nice, good price and a good shop" ......
This was the good shop lol. I haven't gotten an email back from the jokers that I don't like yet lol

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm doing a LSD and gear swap in my wife's Mustang (presently has open diff and 3.27, going to clutch LSD and 3.45 from an '85 T-bird) .. it's not witch doctor stuff or rocket surgery.

I admit it's tedious work but you find out pretty fast if you effed up and need to make adjustments.

Way easier on 3rd member axles like Toyota/Mitsu because you can do all the work on the bench with the axle in the vehicle :D

IMG_20211220_165441_152.jpg

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
btw, if you do go truetrac, you'll get more scrubbing on the inner wheel during tighter turns vs a clutch type LSD. I have one in all 3 of my older vehicles and it not infrequently sounds like I'm goosing the gas pedal when turning from a stop at an intersection.

Truth. Same here. I still like my AAm Trac-Rite torsen gear axle, cause I go back into the woods a fair amount, and tow heavy sometimes. If I weren't doing that, LSD is plenty good.

I remember aligning a prototype gun gear drive in the military. What a royal PITA. All the way to wax printing the mesh several times to ensure optimal mesh.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I'm doing a LSD and gear swap in my wife's Mustang (presently has open diff and 3.27, going to clutch LSD and 3.45 from an '85 T-bird) .. it's not witch doctor stuff or rocket surgery.

I admit it's tedious work but you find out pretty fast if you effed up and need to make adjustments.

Way easier on 3rd member axles like Toyota/Mitsu because you can do all the work on the bench with the axle in the vehicle :D

View attachment 484082

Oil varnish on the ring teeth?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
This was the good shop lol. I haven't gotten an email back from the jokers that I don't like yet lol
Oh snaps !!! sorry man but I am seriously just busting out laughing out here cuz I have been in these kinds of situations myself and it just brings back memories lol ....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963