Dewalt Big boy or Mid range impact torque Wrench?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Throwin Plugs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey all, worked in a diesel shop for a couple years and always had access to air lines so I always used a matco impact. However, I live in an apartment and have no access to this now. I would like to pick up a dewalt impact (we have a contract with them at my new job). I can't decide to go with the bigger or smaller one. Its just gonna be for removing/installing lugs (at least starting them then finishing with a Torque wrench). Maybe some smaller projects down the line.

You think the smaller one would be overkill for working on the ram, should I just got with the bigger one?

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If the dewalt has multi torque settings like the Milwaukee then go with the big one.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the dewalt 1/2 xr i think model is 899 and it is a beast. one of my best tool investments ever.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the dewalt max XR and I love it. It has multi torque settings.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I must have 2 or 3 Impact Wrenches
I even have a Milwaukee for Semi Truck Lugs, it not as heavy duty as the ones at truck tire shops, but it gets the job done.

If it doesn't, i have a American made Torque Multiplier Wrench 100 to 1 ratio, it is similar to this

XD_Dan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have the DCF899 (big boy) and the DCF894 (midsized) and to be honest, the 894 is plenty.
Both have 3 mode settings.

The 894 is rated up to 330 ft-lbs. It is more than enough for lug nuts and most anything else.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The newer milwaukee 2767 like mine is 1000 ft/lbs tightening and 1400 loosening. Not sure I believe this numbers, but I've broken a lot of large bolts loose with it. The 9ah battery doesn't hurt either. Apart from my arm holding all the weight. I also split a 1.5" impact socket with it a few months ago and that's not something that usually happens too easily. IMG_20210713_1121491.jpg

Last edited:

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The new makita 40v is suppose to great, beat the Milwaukee out,

They have a 10" circular saw out also!
Im all in on makita 18v, i may down the road grab some of their new 40v line if i need more power on certain tools
Their lawn stuff is awesome too

But as far as getting a big boy or mid range id just get something around 400'lbs of torque, lighter also

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Im all in on makita 18v, i may down the road grab some of their new 40v line if i need more power on certain tools
Anything Makita will last a life time. They make excellent tools.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Anything Makita will last a life time. They make excellent tools.

I have their sub compact stuff for light use, compact for a lil more power and some blowers and a 24" hedge trimer which is outstanding! They've been good to me. I think they have the most stuff out of all offered.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have their sub compact stuff for light use, compact for a lil more power and some blowers and a 24" hedge trimer which is outstanding! They've been good to me. I think they have the most stuff out of all offered.
My grandpa still has several drills electric and battery powered from god knows when 80s 90s era and they still work perfectly.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

But as far as getting a big boy or mid range id just get something around 400'lbs of torque, lighter also
does anybody have this gun and can say where its manufactured ? 2yrs ago i was in the market for a cordless impact but arrived at the conclusion theyre all made in china. i wasnt happy about it but just settled on the milwaukee fuel. if i can find a corless impact not made in china ill gladly put this milwaukee on ebay and buy the other one

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
does anybody have this gun and can say where its manufactured ? 2yrs ago i was in the market for a cordless impact but arrived at the conclusion theyre all made in china. i wasnt happy about it but just settled on the milwaukee fuel. if i can find a corless impact not made in china ill gladly put this milwaukee on ebay and buy the other one
You are going to jump into a deeeeeep rabbit hole if you start researching what corporation own which brands and which manufacturers make what where. The power tool industry is vast and insanely confusing!

About that Makita though, I have been a die-hard Makita fan since I was old enough to have my first tools. Until late last year when I bought my new house and needed some more cordless tools. Of course I went Makita and bought the best drill/impact driver kit they sell. Sadly I was tremendously disappointed and returned the set and went with Dewalt. I now have all Dewalt tools and love them. Leaf blower, drill, impacts, saws etc... They are tough units for sure! Maybe not the best but certainly they are not cheap junk like that Makita drill I bought.

It was a really hard decision to not go Milwaukee though. I have some of the Milwaukee M12 tools and they are great.

Of course this is just my opinion though, don't want to get into a tool brand war with anyone lol.

Last edited:

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You are going to jump into a deeeeeep rabbit hole if you start researching what corporation own which brands and which manufacturers make what where. The power tool industry is vast and insanely confusing!

About that Makita though, I have been a die-hard Makita fan since I was old enough to have my first tools. Until late last year when I bought my new house and needed some more cordless tools. Of course I went Makita and bought the best drill/impact driver kit they sell. Sadly I was tremendously disappointed and returned the set and went with Dewalt. I now have all Dewalt tools and love them. Leaf blower, drill, impacts, saws etc... They are tough units for sure! Maybe not the best but certainly they are not cheap junk like that Makita drill I bought.

It was a really hard decision to not go Milwaukee though. I have some of the Milwaukee M12 tools and they are great.

Of course this is just my opinion though, don't want to get into a tool brand war with anyone lol.
Their drills kinda do suck but the xgt16 driver which doesn't come in a kit is on top. I dont have it but wanna grab one and sell my other drivers lol i have the sub compact and compact driver xgt13 i believe. Their lawn stuff really is great, the new hedge trimmer has 24 or 30" cutters that swap out 4 speeds or variable.
Im gonna guess the new 40v line is china also but well find out i guess.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Their drills kinda do suck but the xgt16 driver which doesn't come in a kit is on top. I dont have it but wanna grab one and sell my other drivers lol i have the sub compact and compact driver xgt13 i believe. Their lawn stuff really is great, the new hedge trimmer has 24 or 30" cutters that swap out 4 speeds or variable.
Im gonna guess the new 40v line is china also but well find out i guess.
The only real bummer with these tools is that the damn batteries are not interchangeable. I want some Dewalt, some Milwaukee and maybe some Makita stuff. I have heard that Makita's battery game is on point. And the xgt16 looks like a monster.

What happened to Hilti too? They used to have some of the best tools out there but they seem to be on par with these brands now.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

yes im sure its a total mess with who owns who and who makes what where and how can you ever be sure where every nut and bolt is made. ive nothing bad to say about the milwaukee fuel guns as they work fine but im very disappointed my hard earned money can only buy me something that says made in china on it.
ive got a older makita 4.5" angle grinder that works great and its from their uk division. reading makitas site it appears they have 5 or 6 manufacturing facilities so thats why i asked where the impacts are made.
theres a head to head test video on youtube of japan vs china made makita guns. japan version beats it in virtually every test and they said the japan version seems to have much better bearings inside

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am not a dewalt fan, but some of the new dewalt/craftsman stuff is made in the US - pretty easy to tell as it will cost more and have Made in the USA on the box. They are owned by black and Decker. I think most of the Dewalt stuff I have tried was their lower end line as the tools seemed pretty weak (they are owned by people who I am sure go by price, not specs )

TTI makes Milwaukee, Ridgid, and Ryobi

I have Ridgid and Ryobl since Ridgid doesn't have lawn tools but does have a lifetime battery warranty. I can't really complain about the Ryobi stuff either for the cost.

You can get those at HD or directtoolsoutlet dot com and get the lifetime warranty once registered. Direct tools are often 20-50% less than HD. Luckily, there are also 2 of their stores near me but $7 flat rate shipping isn't a bad deal either.