Diablo custom tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah the 2nd one that has more of a shroud would be better than the top one....The top one will allow more air to bypass the fan and not get forced into the rad via the fan..

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yeah the 2nd one that has more of a shroud would be better than the top one....The top one will allow more air to bypass the fan and not get forced into the rad via the fan..

Try the original e-fan first,if it doesn't do the job,then spring for the V-6 fan.I've run the hell out of mine in the mountains over here in Alberta,with the truck in 3rd and 4th gears shifting at 6400/6500 rpm on a +34C day while playing with another toy,engine coolant never got over 195 with a 180 T-stat.I'd try it first,you can always buy the V-6 fan if you decide the OEM fan isn't up to the job.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Been reading about a few who do that...
What about leaveing all that clutch fan shroud on? Anyone notice any temp diff with it in place or all removed?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Been reading about a few who do that...
What about leaveing all that clutch fan shroud on? Anyone notice any temp diff with it in place or all removed?

My shroud has been off for 4 years now,some guys do leave it on,but I've never had any issues with the shroud removed.You're in Nova Scotia,where air temp isn't a big problem,i'd try it with-out the shroud and the stock e-fan,and go from there.You're starting to over think this,as you can always put the shroud back on,or spring for the V-6 fan down the road.If you're really worried,throw the mechanical fan in the truck while you're testing ,you can always spin it on by hand on the side of the road if you run into an overheat issue.The fan will self tighten,even if you only spin it on by hand ,that's the reason they are left hand thread

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah i was just thinkin about air flow direction with shroud on or off and how well it cools.....Yeah mine doesnt haul anything 99%5 of the time so its not stressed by no means..Only time it worked was when i moved from my old place to new with a duel axle uhaul trl..She didnt flinch..

Now i dont have a pipe wrench but i do have tools....Not gone out to look yet but any idea of the nut size??...My 180 mopar branded(snickers)stat is commin from montreal and should be here tomorrow then change temp settings via my trinity

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Yeah i was just thinkin about air flow direction with shroud on or off and how well it cools.....Yeah mine doesnt haul anything 99%5 of the time so its not stressed by no means..Only time it worked was when i moved from my old place to new with a duel axle uhaul trl..She didnt flinch..

Now i dont have a pipe wrench but i do have tools....Not gone out to look yet but any idea of the nut size??...My 180 mopar branded(snickers)stat is commin from montreal and should be here tomorrow then change temp settings via my trinity
Factory shroud is needed for mechanical fan, not necessary when just running e-fan.
Shroud would need to be built within the e-fan like the v-6 fan to be beneficial.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well ill have to leave it on till i decide on the v6 fan deal..Ill just pull the mechanical and do the 180 stat for now..

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Take a case of beer over to the back door of your local dealership close to quitting time tomorrow,and odds are you'll find a tech who'll hammer it off with an airhammer wrench for you,lol.If you've drove the truck fairly hard at some point in time,the fan can be a ***** to get off,as it self tightens.I know I've never had any luck getting them off on my last 2 trucks,even using the 2 bolt in a piece of flatbar idea.I ended up taking both by the dealer with a case of beer late on a Friday afternoon,lol.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Take a case of beer over to the back door of your local dealership close to quitting time tomorrow,and odds are you'll find a tech who'll hammer it off with an airhammer wrench for you,lol.If you've drove the truck fairly hard at some point in time,the fan can be a ***** to get off,as it self tightens.I know I've never had any luck getting them off on my last 2 trucks,even using the 2 bolt in a piece of flatbar idea.I ended up taking both by the dealer with a case of beer late on a Friday afternoon,lol.

I almost gave up on mine, but another 2 beers in I had the great idea to use a small sledge on my wrench while holding the pulley in place with a contraption I made. Damn thing came loose in one blow then it was cake.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well i went out looking for a 36 mm wrench but no patients to look around so i said eff it and grabbed a pipe wrench that will go up to 38mm and its got teeth..It will grab...Maybe in a week or so ill have time to do it..

Well just back from halifax dodge dealer and the stat was there,not even in a box..Looked at the temp it was the factory 203.....Pissed me off when i asked the parts guy specifically for a 180 and he said yes but its in montreal,have here tomorrow..****** me off the stupidity..

Last edited:

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Wouldn’t even waste your time and misery, just catch the edge of the hex point with an air hammer from underneath. Left hand thread.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No air hammer...

Just called the dealer to see if my stat came in...Jaw hit the floor when he said $60 plus tax....I was thinking roughly 1/2 that..Now add the cost of my pipe wrench,hose to drain some af and a pan to drain it in..Im almost into $100.....Performance per $ has fallen into the negitive thus far...Hope she makes it up in mpg over the next 6 months and eventually will help once i get a custom tune..

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
aQUOTE="craigsez, post: 2076674, member: 7209"]No air hammer...

Just called the dealer to see if my stat came in...Jaw hit the floor when he said $60 plus tax....I was thinking roughly 1/2 that..Now add the cost of my pipe wrench,hose to drain some af and a pan to drain it in..Im almost into $100.....Performance per $ has fallen into the negitive thus far...Hope she makes it up in mpg over the next 6 months and eventually will help once i get a custom tune..[/QUOTE]

It's not gonna make it up in milege,at least not a 100 bucks,lol.It might gain a bit of milege,but it's very negliable,by no means will it save you a 100 dollars in fuel in the next 6 months,it might save you that amount over a 10 year span,but that might even be stretching it,lol.The truck will be a bit quieter with-out the fan roaring away,and will warm up noticeably faster in the winter when it's -20C.If you're doing this strictly for milege,don't get your hopes up to high,as you might be disappointed.You should see a slight gain,but it's probably not going to be as much as you'd hoped for.If you take the factory shroud off and stay with the OEM fan,you'll want to fab up a bracket to hold the rad hose,i built a fancy little bar that bolts right to the oem e-fans mounts,but an easier way to do it,is grab yourself a chunk of 1" X 1/8" flat bar from Crappy Tire/Home Depot etc,and bend it up so it'll bolt to the front of the engine somewhere,and salvage the original hose mount off the shroud.The only way to get that mount is to buy the whole upper rad hose assembly,as that's the only way I've seen the mount sold.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wildone...Ill get her figured out when i get a stat..Just gotta start lookin for a performance shop around my area and see what they can do..

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Wildone...Ill get her figured out when i get a stat..Just gotta start lookin for a performance shop around my area and see what they can do..

If you were a little farther west,like Calgary/Edmonton I would be able to help you on the shop question,but got nothing for you down east,lol

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LOL yeah im a cpl mi east eh..lol

Another question was sparked by something i saw here...The pully thats behind the clutch of the fan...How is that kept in place??
Im thinkin ill should be looking for a nut for that,a lil security so it doesnt work its way off..

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
LOL yeah im a cpl mi east eh..lol

Another question was sparked by something i saw here...The pully thats behind the clutch of the fan...How is that kept in place??
Im thinkin ill should be looking for a nut for that,a lil security so it doesnt work its way off..

It's the drive pulley for the waterpump. If that sucker manages to come off you got some serious problems. It ain't going anywhere without the fan attached, if anything you're taking some load off of it.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah josh i discovered that while doin some research.......Pissed off at dealer....I specifically asked parts guy about a 180 stat,he words were "None in stock but ill have one here tomorrow.....Called today,its in..I go to pick it up,no bag,no box and i look at its stamped temp setting...203!!!!! I asked parts guy(different one than the guy on the phone of coarse)About it,told me its the only one they sell..Got into a bit of a discussion about why n how n such a screw up happened...Useless as **** on a bull...Now need to find a local performance shop who might sell one..

Anyone have any mpg differences with and with out shutters by chance??

OP
OP
Brandon-w

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Yeah josh i discovered that while doin some research.......Pissed off at dealer....I specifically asked parts guy about a 180 stat,he words were "None in stock but ill have one here tomorrow.....Called today,its in..I go to pick it up,no bag,no box and i look at its stamped temp setting...203!!!!! I asked parts guy(different one than the guy on the phone of coarse)About it,told me its the only one they sell..Got into a bit of a discussion about why n how n such a screw up happened...Useless as **** on a bull...Now need to find a local performance shop who might sell one..

It's called ebay/amazon that's the only way I can get service. It's cheaper I goda wait a few days but 99% of the time it's right. And you don't end up wasting time effort and money.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

I didn't really loose anything, but my truck is also a bit heavier with all it's **** on it so it doesn't get great mileage anyways. I can maybe eek out 17ish on nothing but straight highway. I'm running a Stant 48798 180 in both my Hemi's. Down here they're around $15 shipped.