Diablo i3 and PCM returned. Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
First let me say i am not posting this to “spite” Diablo sports. I am simply doing this to inform others of the time and POSSIBLE problems you can have with tuners/programmers and un-locked PCM’s. If you are considering a tuner you need to be prepared for everything and my experience could be had by others. This kind of thing can go as smooth as silk or rough as a bathroom visit after a 3 corse meal at Mc Donalds.

My truck:
2016 Ram 3500, SRW, 6.4 HEMI, 4x4,66RFE.

The reason I was considering a tuner is because I already have oversized tires and i also was planning to re-gear my truck...so why not get a few performance benefits and the ability to change some things while im at it. I figured a tuner could adjust the speedo for the tires and (here is the kicker) for the gear change. Though I did not know with MY truck if I was required to tune the PCM for a gear change.

After searching around I called Diablo Sport and ask them about 1 million and one questions. Two of the questions were how does my truck read speed and do I actually need to re-turn for a gear change. Diablo told me my truck read speed by the drive shaft RPM’s so I would need a programmer for a gear change and oversized tires.

In both cases they were wrong about this but I did not find this out until much later....AFTER I purchased $900 worth of stuff from Moe’s performance. My truck actually reads speed at the wheel at the ABS So the only thing that affects my speedometer is tire size. A gear change WILL NOT affect the speedometer. And going from the stock 33” tires to a true 35” tall tire only affects highway speeds by like 3-4 mph.

Anyway, i got the new PCM installed and started playing with tunes. At this point I did not have the gears done yet. The first thing i noticed was i COULD NOT get the programer to install a tune that adjust the speedo for tire size. The second thing i noticed was there was no option at all for programing for a gear change. I continued to try tunes as many ways as possible and could not get a single thing to work. Not one thing. The entire time every single tune procedure went perfectly all the way to the install. No errors besides the tire size adjustment never working.

Dispute the tunes installing successfully the truck never actually showed the changes. I even took a drastic measures and increase the idle speed up to 400 rpm’s above OEM and nothing happened even though the tune loaded correctly. I tried many other things that you would notice and nothing worked.

I talked to Diablo a few times as well. In all honesty i was only happy with 2 different people that helped me. The other times the “support” guys were kinda rude and short with me making it obvious he wanted to end the conversation fast.

After over a week of trying more things than i can think of I decided to call Moe’s Performance (who I purchased it from) for some advice. HE was the one that informed about how my truck truly read speed.

So i tried one more time late that night and the tune installed fine as usual. Went straight to bed and the next moring on the way to work I had my “final straw” moment. Started my truck that morning and had an engine light, ABS light and my speedo DID NOT WORK...at all. It stayed at “0” mph all the way to work. The fact that my truck was driving but was reading no speed made the torque converter act funny by not engaging during deceleration to help slow the truck. It basically acted like it completely unlocked when i took my foot off the gas to hit the break.

After a long talk and some trial and error with Matt at Moe’s I decided to return the un-locked PCM and programer. He said this is his very first diablo/PCM combo return. Being that the PCM was matched to my VIN # and truck it was not normal a returned item. Matt at Moe’s contacted diablo and got it all set up for a full refund/return.

\/\/\/\/
Matt at Moe’s was extremely helpful and made the original purchase, the trial and error/help process that we went through and return very easy. Great company and guy. Even simple things like communication were great with him. We were having issues with the shipping label being sent to me in an email. He must’ve sent an email to me a dozen times before it actually worked and he showed excellent customer service the entire time. Moe’s Performance Rocks!!

In the end I know that if i spent more time on this that the 3 of us (Diablo, Moe’s and I) could have gotten things worked out. But after spending every free minute of the day dealing with this while i could have been spending time with my family..... I had enough.

This is just my experience. I know other love their diablo products. I didn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well that sucks man, sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with tuning. Sounds like the PCM was defective or the tuner wasn't writing the tunes properly....

However I'm glad to hear Matt was able to help you get it returned and your money back.

Maybe consider a Pulsar?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Thanks for the review, glad to see Matt from Moes really went to bat for a customer. Explain this entire locked PCM thing a little as you know it?

tantore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
great review as always matt is a great ***

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Thanks for the review, glad to see Matt from Moes really went to bat for a customer. Explain this entire locked PCM thing a little as you know it?

Here is what i know and its not much as i see it as something very simple really.

Before 2014 all vehicle PCM’s were free to adjust any programming you wanted. You simply had to but the programmer and adjust/instal whatever tune you wanted. The PCM would simply let you install it like installing a program on you home PC.

After 2014 (from what I understand) ALL PCM’s are “locked” by the manufacturer so you can mot tamper/change the OEM programs at all. You can not even “ get in it” with a programer.

So these companies like Diablo are paying someone to basically hack and the “un-lock” the PCMs. I have no idea how or what they do. All i know is i needed an unlocked one for my 2016. And they are expensive as ****. I think my PCM was like $600. I chose to keep my OEM one instead of exchange it.

Glad i did. Id be ****** if I exchange it.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
A little intimidating for me, but you can add pedal commander w/o unlocking pcm?

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
A little intimidating for me, but you can add pedal commander w/o unlocking pcm?

Yes.

So the pedal commander plugs into the gas pedal and then wire comes out of the pedal commander plugs back into the OEM wires that go under your dash

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Sounds like an easy choice if someone is considering one those two upgrades.

ramdriver2018

Trusted internet source
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
good lord. To think we ditched jet kits and distributor weights and springs and speedo gears in the tailhousing for this?
Wtf

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Might look at the Pulsar when it comes out for the 6.4s
Only thing with the PC is that it adds NO power just makes the peddle more sensitive and there are no type of speedo fix.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I had some issues with my i3 on the Challenger that honestly made me wish I had gone with HPTuners. I found the trick was to update the thing like 3 times, take a backup without flashing anything, and then go update the Diablo again since it clearly didn't update everything on the 1st go around. Once that was completed it was able to read/flash everything correctly and I could start tuning with Jay Greene. Coming from using SCT's on Ford's the diablo products seem to be less refined and way more fiddly. If I ever replace the PCM in my Ram I'm highly tempted to just go with HPTuners and avoid using the i3 unless I ever need to flash an updated tune to the Chally.

Edit:
Also I wasn't able to adjust **** in any of the canned tunes. Pretty much any adjustment had to be done in the tune from Jay to actually take.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry about your problems with Diablo and the PCM problems. This just confirms what I have thought for years----the vendor you chose to buy from is the most important link in the chain. Some vendors just push parts, without knowing anything about them because they don't actually use and/or understand the mod's. they sell. It sounds like Moe's stepped up to the plate and did all they could to help your situation.
Jay

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn