Diablo Pulsar ( Save your money)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lAWROSA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OK so I got the pulsar. Installed it, and it does not shut MSD off. Its supposed to put the truck in 8th and it does not.

All other functions work, Economy, tow, stock and performance.

If your buying it to turn off MDS save your money. If you want it as a canned tune its not worth the money IMO.

So talking to returns to get a RMA the guy was honest with me and stated they are just giving me a refund. I asked about replacment and he suggested in not so many words thet the replacment will do the same thing.

So hope this helps anyone out there. and this is for a 2020 slt with the 5.7.

so back to shifting it manually to 8th..

Also note I was worried when I installed it it threw my whole u connect out of whack. I suddenly had no back up camera, no pass heated seat option and I went to dual climate controls... LOL I dont even have dual so WTF.

after a few key starts and out to dinner with my son, when we started the truck u connect went back to normal. Thank god...

Two mods came in today that I will try to get too sunday.

1. factory brake controller
2. caulks trans bypass part so the fluid runs to cooler all the time..

Ill let ya all know how that goes...

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK so I got the pulsar. Installed it, and it does not shut MSD off. Its supposed to put the truck in 8th and it does not.

All other functions work, Economy, tow, stock and performance.

If your buying it to turn off MDS save your money. If you want it as a canned tune its not worth the money IMO.

So talking to returns to get a RMA the guy was honest with me and stated they are just giving me a refund. I asked about replacment and he suggested in not so many words thet the replacment will do the same thing.

So hope this helps anyone out there. and this is for a 2020 slt with the 5.7.

so back to shifting it manually to 8th..

Also note I was worried when I installed it it threw my whole u connect out of whack. I suddenly had no back up camera, no pass heated seat option and I went to dual climate controls... LOL I dont even have dual so WTF.

after a few key starts and out to dinner with my son, when we started the truck u connect went back to normal. Thank god...

Two mods came in today that I will try to get too sunday.

1. factory brake controller
2. caulks trans bypass part so the fluid runs to cooler all the time..

Ill let ya all know how that goes...
I know its late ....but thanks for the info

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wait. MDS can’t be disabled? I’m just about to buy one and that is one of the main reasons I’m getting itZ Tired of that steering wheel crap. Does that apply to a 2018 5.7 as well? I’m sure it does. Can’t see how it wouldn’t. Dammit.

OP
OP
lAWROSA

lAWROSA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wait. MDS can’t be disabled? I’m just about to buy one and that is one of the main reasons I’m getting itZ Tired of that steering wheel crap. Does that apply to a 2018 5.7 as well? I’m sure it does. Can’t see how it wouldn’t. Dammit.
Mine didnt so Im just letting you know. And they even stated to me that the replacement if sent will do the same thing. So they know it dont work and at least my model year. Probably most guys keep it thinking a quick tune but I wanted it for mds feature only... I would of kept it stock or in economy..

So good luck if ya get one and let us know..

I still have not received a return $$$...

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
just get a 9 drive from amazon keep it in 8 :) i was one that said a pedal controller was stupid- i was very wrong the drivability of my truck has 100% changed and i don't feel like im flogging it all the time

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
just get a 9 drive from amazon keep it in 8 :) i was one that said a pedal controller was stupid- i was very wrong the drivability of my truck has 100% changed and i don't feel like im flogging it all the time
How long have you had the 9 drive? I am tempted to give one a go, especially since the price is very reasonable.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
How long have you had the 9 drive? I am tempted to give one a go, especially since the price is very reasonable.
around 6 months so far- when you first get it you will be very unamazed with around town difference but you will be shocked at the difference on highway driving. Now im amazed at around town and highway- sounds stupid but you have to get used to it driving around town.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I was just going to start a thread on this but I'm glad a I searched first. Stupid that it doesn't turn MDS off. I'll save my money.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was just going to start a thread on this but I'm glad a I searched first. Stupid that it doesn't turn MDS off. I'll save my money.
I have the pulsar and in the non mds modes mds never kicks on. It auto shifts the truck to 8th gear. OP is drunk or got a broken one. My truck has Carven and is loud and very easy to tell when MDS is on.

Truck is much more fun to drive with the Pulsar (I just keep it in performance 8 and run 91). Granted if I was doing it over I'd just go custom tune, because it will be better. But if you don't want to PCM swap the Pulsar is great.

Also Edge support is great. I had an issue, sent them an email and they literally responded in like 6 minutes. Sent me a new Pulsar at my door 2 days later.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That's good to know. I'm not 100 percent sure what I want to do. Honestly I'd just like MDS turned off which I can do anyways and tire pressure limits and tire size adjusted. I'm no stranger to tuning vehicles as I had my 16 silverado done and it was amazing. Seems like there's a lot of hoops to jump through to get a ram tuned these days. I have alpha OBD and am hoping I can get that up and running on the 22 easily enough.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I cant even wrap my head around why they released such a **** poor product.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's good to know. I'm not 100 percent sure what I want to do. Honestly I'd just like MDS turned off which I can do anyways and tire pressure limits and tire size adjusted. I'm no stranger to tuning vehicles as I had my 16 silverado done and it was amazing. Seems like there's a lot of hoops to jump through to get a ram tuned these days. I have alpha OBD and am hoping I can get that up and running on the 22 easily enough.
The hardest part of the Pulsar is getting the red clips off your PCM without breaking them. I broke mine but once I got it off saw how I could have easily got it off without breaking it. Just use a small screwdriver or hook to push the red piece down if it won't move. That is how I have to do mine now that the lever is broke. But to install the Pulsar once you figure that out takes about 3 minutes (especially if you have a Vararam and now nothing is in you way like mine.)

After that its super easy. Just takes a second to figure out that cruise has to be off to change performance modes. If you want to see what mode you are in you hit "cancel cruise" if off and then move through your screens until it pops up on the dash which mode you are in, and use the up down buttons to change modes on the fly. Tire size changes are easy as well you just do them with the key in acc (I think if I remember right) then use the pedal to adjust the size by pushing down harder or softer.

It works great and has great reviews. Read the reviews on Edge site. A few "custom tune snobs" hate it as seen here.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had to go Google it right quick when I saw that @bchap05 was talking about the Edge Pulsar but I guess DiabloSport has a Pulsar also.... But anywho, I was told the Pulsar by Edge will disable the MDS. Not sure why this Pulsar from DiabloSport won't.

Hopefully

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Well, I really like mine. It does exactly what I want, and as advertised. I like being able to toggle between economy mode and tow mode, and turning MDS on and off.

And yes, I'd buy it again, exactly the same way I did. DiabloSport owns Pulsar Edge. Just another brand name game.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I always thought they were the same unit, but maybe not. Anyway, I have had the Edge Pulsar for over a year, and it works great. Hade a problem once, and they responded quickly, and I had to sent it in for repairs last February, and it came back in short order, and has worked flawlessly ever since.

Rlj2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the pulsar and in the non mds modes mds never kicks on. It auto shifts the truck to 8th gear. OP is drunk or got a broken one. My truck has Carven and is loud and very easy to tell when MDS is on.

Truck is much more fun to drive with the Pulsar (I just keep it in performance 8 and run 91). Granted if I was doing it over I'd just go custom tune, because it will be better. But if you don't want to PCM swap the Pulsar is great.

Also Edge support is great. I had an issue, sent them an email and they literally responded in like 6 minutes. Sent me a new Pulsar at my door 2 days later.
This post is a little old, but agree. on my 2022 it mds never comes on with the correct level chosen. And the truck has a great feel to it in my opinion. Id definately recommend it. Just hope they come out with a update so I can change tire sizes without disabling the parking sensors

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A few "custom tune snobs" hate it as seen here.

You spelled" Properly Tuned vehicle " wrong ;)

Pointing out a products flaw isnt hating. Its just informing people that dont understand the differences in Tuners.

And the price point of this thing is laugphable for what it actually does.

But this product is gears toward guys that think that CAI , TB Spacers and exhaust somehow are performance mods... lol.

Last edited: