Diablosport or HP Tuners for 2014 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boss_Ram_UK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi guys.
Looking for a bit of advice regrading a tuner for my 2014 5.7l 8 speed 4x4 CC.
I have a set of ARH headers with hi flow cats with a Magnaflow 15363 catback being fitted shortly, and most likely an s&b intake.
I am a little concerned that my truck may run lean after these changes, so looking at options for a custom tune.
I was looking at the i3 initially, but have read that a transmission tune for the early 8 speed trucks could be problematic.
HP tuners is another option but I am struggling to gain a good understanding of what is required.
Are email tunes possible with this setup, and what would i need to purchase, do i need to pay for software on top of the MPVI2 module to allow me to upload/download files?
I am based in the UK, so a local tuner is unlikely, and purchasing parts from the US is expensive and timely, so I'd like to get this change right first time ideally.
Thanks for your help.

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you’re concerned about the transmission being tuned don’t get the optional tranny tune with Jay Greene.
Then your ratios can be what they need to be and you’re good to go (faster)

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Given your concerns, and the desire for a custom tune down the road, I'd recommend the Diablosport programmer.

You need the programmer, your personal computer, an email program and then the custom tune. No special software is needed. Since your truck is a 2014 you won't need a different PCM either.

The Diablosport programmers are easy to use and the tuning professional can address the transmission tuning as well. The custom tune is all done by email. Once you install your preferred octane tune included with the programmer, you will follow the tuning professional's instructions to log your vehicle's peformance and send them those logs plus the last tune written, i.e., the tune you first loaded to the truck's PCM.

Then the tuner will send you back a tune file via email which you will download to your PC, then to your programmer, then to your truck. You will receive instructions on how to do this from your tuner.

Matt at Moe's Performance sells packages which include the programmer & a custom tune by Hemifever Tuning. That is where I got my custom tune for my 2014 6.4L Hemi-powered 2500 and the results were excellent.

OP
OP
B

Boss_Ram_UK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the replies.
I have looked into the diablosport programmers, seems to be a pretty simple process that i should be able to manage.
My issue was the fact that going this route may not give me the option to tune the transmission.
Is there much benefit to tuning the 8 speed trans? That was partly the reason for looking at the HP tuners option.
I will have to drop Matt a mail as his website doesn't appear to show any option for international shipping.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The "canned tunes" that come with the programmer don't do much, if anything, for transmission tuning.

The tuning professional can provide transmission tuning. I'd go to HemifeverTuning.com and see what Sean offers. You can send in inquiry to him via the website to discuss transmission tuning.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
You’re right, in the past the DiabloSport devices have not had success with some 8 speed 2014 5.7s as I was worried and actually started a thread.

I believe their latest firmware revision has eliminated any trans tuning bugs. The trans tuning works in conjunction with Greene racing tunes and is worth every penny.

OP
OP
B

Boss_Ram_UK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys.
Glad to hear that the new firmware has eliminated those bugs!
Sorry if this is a silly question, you mentioned greene racing for the trans tune. Should I use hemifever for the engine tune and use greene for trans, or use greene for both tunes?
Thanks again.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
I would stick with one or the other for both PCM and TCM tuning, there are threads comparing both so we don’t need to go there.

The track numbers don’t lie in N/A applications for Jay’s tunes.

OP
OP
B

Boss_Ram_UK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn’t realise that both tuners could offer both PCM and TCM tunes,thanks for clarification.
You’ve been very helpful, I better get the i3 on order :)

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Regarding your question about HP Tuners, if you purchase an MPVI2 from HP Tuners and then download the necessary VCM Suite, did you know that you are the one who is going to be doing the tuning?

HP Tuners is for the tuning pro or tuning enthusiast. HP Tuners is not like the Diablosport or Edge or other handheld devices that come with pre-installed "canned tunes."

You would be the one doing the tuning and making the adjustments. If you have never tuned before or don't have a very good handle on things you can make a simple mistake into a big problem. If you don't know how to correct it then you'll be back at square one and reinstalling the factory tune so you can start over.

I am by no means trying to scare or dissuade you from going the HP Tuners route. I simply want you to have as much information as possible so that you can make an informed decision and spend your money where you will get the bang for the buck that you are looking for.

I am all for new guys getting into the self-tuning game but it takes alot of patience to learn what to do.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Regarding your question about HP Tuners, if you purchase an MPVI2 from HP Tuners and then download the necessary VCM Suite, did you know that you are the one who is going to be doing the tuning?

HP Tuners is for the tuning pro or tuning enthusiast. HP Tuners is not like the Diablosport or Edge or other handheld devices that come with pre-installed "canned tunes."

You would be the one doing the tuning and making the adjustments. If you have never tuned before or don't have a very good handle on things you can make a simple mistake into a big problem. If you don't know how to correct it then you'll be back at square one and reinstalling the factory tune so you can start over.

I am by no means trying to scare or dissuade you from going the HP Tuners route. I simply want you to have as much information as possible so that you can make an informed decision and spend your money where you will get the bang for the buck that you are looking for.

I am all for new guys getting into the self-tuning game but it takes alot of patience to learn what to do.

Jay Greene offers custom email tunes for the HP tuning platform,so he doesn't have to do his own tuning. I'm HP tuned on my 14 and have a couple of Jays custom email tunes for it,including my 8speed transmission .

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Jay Greene offers custom email tunes for the HP tuning platform,so he doesn't have to do his own tuning. I'm HP tuned on my 14 and have a couple of Jays custom email tunes for it,including my 8speed transmission .
I should have provided that information in my last post. My 4yr old was sitting on my lap and I just posted what I had and forgot about it.

There are plenty of good tuners who can tune with HP Tuners. I made the assumption that the OP was new to the tuning world and posted about the main purpose of having an HP Tuner MPVI2 and the corresponding VCM Suite.

It's a suitable tool to skip the canned tunes and go straight to the custom tunes. I hope my info was not misleading to anyone.

OP
OP
B

Boss_Ram_UK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had read about Jay Greene's HP tunes in some other tuning threads, that is what made me consider that option initially. I have no idea how to tune, so I would't even consider that option, I would only be comfortable uploading/downloading files to send to the tuner/PCM.

Wild one, would you mind sharing the reason for using HP tuners, was it due to the trans tune for the 14?

I am still torn between the two options now, but diablosport sounds like it may be an easier option.
Do I have to pay for any software in addition to the MPVI2? I would be using a tuner for the files and would not need to edit anything myself, just upload/download.
Thanks again guys, you are most helpful!

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I had read about Jay Greene's HP tunes in some other tuning threads, that is what made me consider that option initially. I have no idea how to tune, so I would't even consider that option, I would only be comfortable uploading/downloading files to send to the tuner/PCM.

Wild one, would you mind sharing the reason for using HP tuners, was it due to the trans tune for the 14?

I am still torn between the two options now, but Diablosport sounds like it may be an easier option.
Do I have to pay for any software in addition to the MPVI2? I would be using a tuner for the files and would not need to edit anything myself, just upload/download.
Thanks again guys, you are most helpful!
If you go the HP Tuner route, the VCM Suite software is a free download. The only other thing to download would be the MPVI2 hardware drivers for your PC and those are free to download from HP Tuners website.

Using a handheld tuner like one from Diablosport that comes with pre-installed tunes is defintely the easier route. Plug it in and follow directions. If you decided to use an HP Tuner, there are not that many more steps when it comes to loading tunes. It is actually quite simple. Once you speak to your favorite tuner and they build a tune for you, they will email you the tune. Download the attachment from your email and save it to your laptop so it can be opened by the VCM Suite.

You cant go wrong either way. If you are looking for the simplicity of things then I recommend going with Diablosport.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
To add: having a handheld is nice when you can’t find premium octane or are towing unexpectedly to change tunes in 5 minutes. That way you don’t have to worry about accidentally going into open loop and exploding a piston.

Cwils80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys am I wrong about this, but I thought with hp tuners you have to buy the device itself. And two credits one for ecm and one for tcm? Then either you can tune yourself or pay for a custom tune. Which Jay charges 350 for ecm and 100 for tcm. Sorry to say but his prices recently went up too.

With Diablo all that would need to be bought is the tuner itself and a custom tune. Theoretically not even a custom tune with Diablo. Could use a canned tune until there's enough money. That's what I did. There is a little bit of a increase with the canned tune but of course nothing compares to a paid custom.

IMO
Go with Jay Greene for the tuning. I didn't have hemi fever or other tuners, but just like what was said before. Numbers don't lie and I'm sure as hell not disappointed.

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2014. I am tuned by Jay Greene. My diablo would not support my TCM on my 2014. My tune was already dialed in for the motor and I wanted trans tuning after doing my cam swap. So I have diablo PCM tuning and HPTuners TCM tuning. Jay is outstanding to work with and my truck runs amazing.

OP
OP
B

Boss_Ram_UK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not an easy decision this! Like the simplicity of the Diablo, but I'd probably get more from the HP tuners with regard to TCM. Ideally i'd like one system to cover both PCM & TCM reliably.
Sounds like HP is going to be far more expensive than Diablo though, so this may be what influences the decision. I have just dropped a load of money on the exhaust and lowering springs for rear, getting stuff over from the states is really expensive.

The option to reduce to a lower octane fuel is nice, but it's rare not to find a fuel station that doesn't offer high octane here in the UK.
Our fuel octane levels are measured in RON, so I believe a 93MON tune would be suitable for me which would be the same as 98RON.

UK are supposedly planning to boost ethanol levels from 5 to 10% at some stage, not sure if this affects the premium stuff though. Not sure if that will require a new tune at some stage.

Thanks again guys.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
some great info in here! i have a 14 and am considering a ecm and tcm tune. im only interested in custom tunes, not canned tunes. another value in the hptuner (correct me if im wrong), you can tune multiple vehicles with it. so i could tune my truck and my wifes yukon with the same tuner. a lot of value there imo. you would really need to compare all the costs to see what is worth it for you.

OP
OP
B

Boss_Ram_UK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have done some cost calculations today, and HP tuners was going to be more expensive for me, i have additional fees that you guys wont suffer as based in the UK.

HP tuners was going to be $400 for hardware and 2 credits, then an additional $450 for Jay's tune as he charges an additional $100 over the cost of the diablosport for a tune according to his facebook page. Thats PCM alone.

I have been fortunate enough to find someone selling an unused i3 here in the UK for £330, and that is too good of an opportunity to pass up.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45