Did a test drive in a 2020 Rebel and was... disappointed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reverse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Currently own 2014 Ram 1500 with the 5.7.

I went on a test drive in a brand new Rebel and it felt a little sluggish compared to my Big Horn. They both have 3.92 rears, so that can't be it. I guess the heavier wheel/tire combo slows it down?
Also didn't find the seats very comfortable, it felt like they wouldn't go down as far as in my truck which is important since I'm pretty tall. Overall a mixed bag.

Otherwise a very nice truck (it was a top of the line trim with the 12 " screen and everything except sunroof I believe. Very quiet as well, even with the AT tires.

Anyone here who made that switch from 4th gen to 5th gen Rebel want to share their experience?

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I went on a test drive in a brand new Rebel and it felt a little sluggish compared to my Big Horn. They both have 3.92 rears, so that can't be it. I guess the heavier wheel/tire combo slows it down?
Also didn't find the seats very comfortable, it felt like they wouldn't go down as far as in my truck which is important since I'm pretty tall. Overall a mixed bag.

Otherwise a very nice truck (it was a top of the line trim with the 12 " screen and everything except sunroof I believe. Very quiet as well, even with the AT tires.

Anyone here who made that switch from 4th gen to 5th gen Rebel want to share their experience?

Have never owned a rebel before but I do know that sometimes a ram can be sluggish when new while they are "learning" your driving style during the break in period. Just a guess though as again I don't really have much first hand experience with that, just what I've seen around here from time to time.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
You sure you test drove a Hemi and not a Pentastar.

I ask because the local used car megastore got a bunch of Rebels in. I watched a bunch of people confused by the large differences in price between what appeared to be an exact copy.

You will only know by looking at the hood badge in the center one will be blank and one will say 5.7 HEMI.

Just posing a question

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel

I ask because the local used car megastore got a bunch of Rebels in. I watched a bunch of people confused by the large differences in price between what appeared to be an exact copy.

You will only know by looking at the hood badge in the center one will be blank and one will say 5.7 HEMI.

Just posing a question
If that were actually the case, I guess you'd see one vs two tailpipes....

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Not on the rebel. They both get duals

Just like the 2wd gets all the off road goodies too.

Edit: the V6 doesn't get the duals. First I realized this. Hmmm. I thought it got the dual exit bumper, but that is not the case...so, yes, also a single exhaust vs dual exhaust

Last edited:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I owned a 4th gen Rebel, and recently traded it in for a 5th gen Laramie. I can say that the power feels very much the same between the two. My daughter has a 5th gen Rebel, and hers also has comparable power. All three have the 5.7L Hemi. The only real real difference I feel is both 5th gens drive much more smoothly than my 4th gen Rebel did. But as far as power goes, I can't really feel a difference.

quikmofo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I went from a 4th gen Laramie Longhorn to a 2020 Limited with etorque, same gearing. Had driven the LL for about 63,000 miles. My 2020 with 2800 miles seems quicker. Just my seat of the pants dyno.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Traded my 2018 Longhorn for a 2019 Lone Star/Big Horn...wouldn't consider ever taking back the Longhorn as the Lone Star is snappier, smoother and much more enjoyable than my 2018 - same exact engine, rear end, cab, bed length, etc. I'd recommend you test drive a 2019 Big Horn and then post your thoughts.

OP
OP
R

Reverse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks everyone for the replies. I guess my seat-of-the-pants speedometer is a little off. I double-checked, and yes it was a Hemi. I'll take another one for a test drive at a different dealer.

BTW, Rebels in a color other than black/grey/white are thin on the ground here in the ATL area. May have to just custom order one with the goodies I desire.

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had one as a Rental rebel and while my 14 was in the shop. It made me realize how nice my loaded big horn was.

The rebel looked nice on the outside but the interior was basic *****. Its crazy, I thought that the rebel was the best of the best but it isnt.

Glenn54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
IMO, you'd be more likely to enjoy the new truck if you get it with all the equip and colors you prefer.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I guess my seat-of-the-pants speedometer is a little off. I double-checked, and yes it was a Hemi. I'll take another one for a test drive at a different dealer.

BTW, Rebels in a color other than black/grey/white are thin on the ground here in the ATL area. May have to just custom order one with the goodies I desire.

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Get a Pedal Commander....really helps.

And I'd agree....if you're going to spend money on a new truck...get exactly what you want. Good luck!

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I went from a ‘16 sport to a ‘19 sport. Both trucks seem to preform the same, the ‘19 may handle a bit better but it’s way more refined than the ‘16 was for sure.

Not that I didn’t like the old truck, but the new one is just so much better.

Roadwarrior 1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sluggish..... recently viewed an article that FCA has filed a patent for an in line 6 producing 525 HP. Should be interesting......
Take the cheap route and add a Pedal Commander to decrease the lag time.

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI

I cant understand why you would want to trade a 2014 Bighorn with the HEMI--unless you have issues that you didnt mention. They are very nice!!!

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Ok -I get it--If you trade in a truck too old then you wont get **** for it.

armallard

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT CC 4X4
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Just posing a question

If that were actually the case, I guess you'd see one vs two tailpipes....

My SLT with a Hemi only has one tailpipe for now.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
My SLT with a Hemi only has one tailpipe for now.
I didn't realize that they stopped the dual tailpipes on Hemi-powered 1500s... maybe it's an SLT thing?

19REBEL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Rebel 4x4 Crew
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I traded my 2015 4x4 Sport Crew Cab on a 2019 Rebel 4x4 Crew Cab. I have just under a 1,000 miles on it and find it to be at least as powerful if not a little more than my 2015 (seat of the pants). It seems like a smoother take off and acceleration. I also think the exhaust note is slightly deeper on the 2019.

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI

Just posing a question
I am surprised that a new HEMI would feel sluggish -I ont know what the 6 feels like -but my old HEMI has never been sluggish-new word for the day!