Did bad shocks make these tires bald?

What caused this wear?

• I think downforce from the tailgate

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So oem tires at 30k miles, some would say that is all the are really good for? What say you to the cause of this? Two back tires bald in center, 2 front tires still like new. No I didn't rotate, I always planned on getting new tires just didnt care like I should have, but admittedly took too long to do it. Now they are worthless on craigslist, I will keep them for spares or yard art.

I always thought it was freeway driving with tailgate up putting downforce on them. The book says over inflation, but I never was above 35psi like ever! You have to be at 35psi to clear the TPMS so how could that be it? Could be alignment maybe? Interesting, my tire guy said it was the shocks, mind you the shocks only have 30k miles on them as well. He said he could tell by the way the wear was bumpy, and he has been doing this for 8 years, I think it is possible, but I think the tailgate is to blame, hard to say, convince me your opinion. I put new shocks on front pretty soon after buying the truck, but never did backs, something I will be changing. I think kyb for backs, bills up front.

50968129922_79c103bf7d_c.jpg

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
That looks like a tire pressure problem, shocks usually cause cupping or irregular wear. I've seen this on trucks that see excessive speeds, tow heavy, and with high tire pressures.
Not saying you're any of the above but It really does look like over inflation Usually shocks cause nasty cupping.19327b42f83dd044a8a8d90e6d7b11a4.gif

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
In my experience that is over inflation I know you said the tire pressure monitor system won't let you go any less than 35 but with my 2500 they want to see 80 a in the rears even if I'm empty which is ridiculous. I only run about 45 in my rears empty. And my tpms light is allways on.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have to agree with that being over inflation. I think you did good getting 30k from those tires. I only got a little over 17k out of mine. I didn’t mind because I couldn’t wait to get rid of those low quality tires. If you’re replacing the struts and shocks I would use the same brand front and rear so the match and work together properly over mixing brands.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The low load rating tires like these say max air should be 35 psi, I think I buy what you guys are selling. I just have a hard time fca forces 35psi to clear psi warning, lol. My new tires can take up to 85psi, but ride nice on the 45psi I am running on them. Maybe a combo of that plus tailgate plus low quality shocks, but I buy the main issue or culprit is psi. I wont be abusing the new skins like I did these. However, if it was only psi, then why would the front tires not look the same, they literally look like zero wear? All were kept right a 35psi for the entire time, it has to be multi issues. Maybe the down force from tailgate really wears when the psi is at max and there is low quality shocks?

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The low load rating tires like these say max air should be 35 psi, I think I buy what you guys are selling. I just have a hard time fca forces 35psi to clear psi warning, lol. My new tires can take up to 85psi, but ride nice on the 45psi I am running on them. Maybe a combo of that plus tailgate plus low quality shocks, but I buy the main issue or culprit is psi. I wont be abusing the new skins like I did these. However, if it was only psi, then why would the front tires not look the same, they literally look like zero wear? All were kept right a 35psi for the entire time, it has to be multi issues. Maybe the down force from tailgate really wears when the psi is at max and there is low quality shocks?

Because there is more weight over the front tires. With no weight in the rear of the truck less psi is needed. Now if you would have been rotating the tires you wouldn’t have noticed it.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
The factory tires are Paper thin It's pathetic! In a 60 mile stretch if dirt road I killed the factory tire with a rock and then killed the factory spare. It was a bit of an ordeal. Running 12ply and never had any issues since.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I didn't even get to 30,000 miles on my original tires. They wore out very unevenly. Ever since new tires put on about 20,000 miles ago, no issues with uneven wear.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Overinflated and lack of rotation.

However OEM tires are junk. They buy em with bulk contracts from the tire mfgs and they don't have as good of wear materials in them that the exact same off the shelf tire does (to keep costs down on the bulk contracts)

My 17 has 14,500. Miles on it and the OEM tires are probably half worn out at least already. If I get 20-25k I'll be lucky and that's with proper rotation since new every 5k

Abnsapper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2015, 2018
Engine
Yep! I would agree with general analysis. Bad shocks would not wear out the center like that, and what are the chances that both shocks would go bad t the same time. It looks to be over inflation of the left and the right was either over inflated or shadowing the left. I would also agree that OEM never great, but never really bad. My OEMs on my 18' had 55,000 on them before I needed to replace them.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would not run 45 psi in any tire on a 1500. You should look up the load chart for that tire. With my current set of tires I have them at 38 front and 36 rear based on the manufacturer load chart. My stock SRA went somewhere around 15,000 miles (I think) and were removed for better tires. Had crap wet weather traction and I almost drove off an i95 on ramp. Thankfully I can drive and was able to correct the truck from going sideways. They were definitely half worn out when I removed them.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I would not run 45 psi in any tire on a 1500. You should look up the load chart for that tire. With my current set of tires I have them at 38 front and 36 rear based on the manufacturer load chart. My stock SRA went somewhere around 15,000 miles (I think) and were removed for better tires. Had crap wet weather traction and I almost drove off an i95 on ramp. Thankfully I can drive and was able to correct the truck from going sideways. They were definitely half worn out when I removed them.

His post noted he was running them at 35 psi, not 45 on the original OEM tires. He's running 45 psi in his new tires that have an 85psi max (probably are load range E) which is not an issue.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
His post noted he was running them at 35 psi, not 45 on the original OEM tires. He's running 45 psi in his new tires that have an 85psi max (probably are load range E) which is not an issue.
Yes. I know he said 35 on stock. 45 on new. Still could be overinflated. I’m running load range e tires and for my vehicle weight it specs 37 psi. Each tire may be slightly different but 45 psi is more than likely higher than needed

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Whenever I put on a new set of tires, I fill them to the PSI on the door jamb sticker, and then chal test them to fine tune the PSI.
Last set, I had to raise the front by a couple psi, and lower the rear.
Chalking the tires will give you the best psi for even tread wear, for your specific truck and tire combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
What's even more amazing to me is that those are the original tires and your truck is 10 years old and only has like 30K on it! I thought I was doing good with 37K on my 2017. Do they have any dry rot on them?

no dry rot

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yes. I know he said 35 on stock. 45 on new. Still could be overinflated. I’m running load range e tires and for my vehicle weight it specs 37 psi. Each tire may be slightly different but 45 psi is more than likely higher than needed

This is a cool website, tirepressure.org. See the load rating and maximum psi.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Chalk test your tires is prob the best way to find how are they're going to wear down, Also use the TRA tables to give you an idea how much PSI you need to match your tires to carry truck loads.
I was running my BFG KO2 37x12.5x17 at 30 PSI, my Falken AT3W 315/70/17 at 35 PSI. i Run my current Patagania MT's 315/70/17 at 39PSI, and it's mostly cause the Pats have a tire thread that in theory actually wear down better if the center of the tire have a bit more contact with the ground as opposed to having the tire full contact path laying flat against the ground, otherwise i'll run the size at 35PSI. My tires do wear down evenly.

In Burla's cases he's running BFG KO2's in 295/70/17 now, i'll run them at 39-40PSI , rotate every 5k miles and measure the tires to verify even wear.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7