Did bad shocks make these tires bald?

What caused this wear?

• I think downforce from the tailgate

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just as a heads up, your talk test method is totally pointless when it comes to actual tire wear. When you're in the tire industry and you end up going to multiple seminars this topic is brought up with every single manufacturer. You're putting chalk on the tire to try to see when it's getting the most contact but you're doing this at a speed of less than 1 mile an hour to miles an hour max that tire is nowhere near the same shape when you're travelling at your normal highway speeds or even a regular Road tires balloon out in the centre when you're driving just physics you can't change that fact you can talk your tires all you want but you're never going to account for the fact that the centre of the tire will always be balls do more at speed then the shoulders.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

You’re free to have your opinion, and I won’t bash it. All I can say is that I have been driving, and chalking tires for almost 30 years now, and have never had any tread wear issues that were due to improper inflation. Even when running 12.5” wide tires(where I would assume your “ballooning” theory would be very evident), I have yet to experience the center wearing down first.
Again, just my personal experience, YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
You’re free to have your opinion, and I won’t bash it. All I can say is that I have been driving, and chalking tires for almost 30 years now, and have never had any tread wear issues that were due to improper inflation. Even when running 12.5” wide tires(where I would assume your “ballooning” theory would be very evident), I have yet to experience the center wearing down first.
Again, just my personal experience, YMMV.

It's not based on my opinion. It's based on the ammout of information gaind by multiple tire manufacturers studies.
To me in theory, it sounded logical, until the topic was brought up in a training seminar with michelin. Then after hearing about the same topic from michelin group, bridgestone group, kumho, and contenintal, access all have gathered very similar results. Based on the studies, i can see now that chalking is actually hogwash. If tire companies are willing to see a few hundred thousand dollars to study the topic, access them all come to the same conclusion, i would justify that as a fact, not an opinion.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Not enough moly in your tire air.
:happy175: sorry, I couldn't resist.
I agree with doing a chalk test. My SREs wore that way due to over inflation. I chalked my new Coopers and I found the rear tires wanted to be around 4 psi lower. Now that I'm thinking about it I stopped chalking when the pattern looked even but I should have gone lower to find out when I went too low and gone somewhere in between even and slightly underinflated since my tires weren't up to full temperature so when they get hot they will bulge more in the middle.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think it's a bit of over inflation but mostly the nature of this truck and those oem tires. Mine got 2 brand new rear tires when I bought it... Dealer put the same wrangler tires on it though. It only took 16k miles for the center to be near the wear bars. I will admit this included a 4000 mile road trip in co towing my camper most of those miles. And I ran higher pressure when towing for stability. I also forgot to lower the pressure once I wasn't towing. I caught it soon enough that I was able to rotate the tires and with a bit lower pressure when unloaded I hope to get another 10-12k out of them (the fronts were not new when I bought it but had over 60% tread).

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
It's not based on my opinion. It's based on the ammout of information gaind by multiple tire manufacturers studies.
To me in theory, it sounded logical, until the topic was brought up in a training seminar with michelin. Then after hearing about the same topic from michelin group, bridgestone group, kumho, and contenintal, access all have gathered very similar results. Based on the studies, i can see now that chalking is actually hogwash. If tire companies are willing to see a few hundred thousand dollars to study the topic, access them all come to the same conclusion, i would justify that as a fact, not an opinion.

Must be a canuck thing. I'll stick to real-life, first hand experience of driving pick-up trucks for the last 35+ years. :893MrT-thumb:

whatever-dude.jpg

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I go by the door sticker mostly, but if i am going to be running with a bed full, i add a few pounds & lower them when i am done with the job

With my 2009 Dodge Ram, i always had at least 800 pounds in the bed, used to argue with the dealership to leave my tire pressure alone, they said i as using to much air pressure.
I know that i was doing it right, i used to get at least 70,000 miles at least with Michelins.
With my 2016, i had a aluminium tool box built to my specs, it is much lighter then the steel one that i had made for the 2009, i still run just a bit higher pressure in the rears.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Putting your foot into it will do that as well, Tail gate, where did you dream that up from?

mtwofeathers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
So oem tires at 30k miles, some would say that is all the are really good for? What say you to the cause of this? Two back tires bald in center, 2 front tires still like new. No I didn't rotate, I always planned on getting new tires just didnt care like I should have, but admittedly took too long to do it. Now they are worthless on craigslist, I will keep them for spares or yard art.

I always thought it was freeway driving with tailgate up putting downforce on them. The book says over inflation, but I never was above 35psi like ever! You have to be at 35psi to clear the TPMS so how could that be it? Could be alignment maybe? Interesting, my tire guy said it was the shocks, mind you the shocks only have 30k miles on them as well. He said he could tell by the way the wear was bumpy, and he has been doing this for 8 years, I think it is possible, but I think the tailgate is to blame, hard to say, convince me your opinion. I put new shocks on front pretty soon after buying the truck, but never did backs, something I will be changing. I think kyb for backs, bills up front.

50968129922_79c103bf7d_c.jpg

Still overinflation, you could lower it 5 lbs and do good.

TOTALCHAOS69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Weird that only the back slicked off like that. All four tires would do that on my 69 El Camino. More so from centrifugal high speed than burning the back ones off. Maybe once or twice. From Hoosiers to BFG Radial TA’s... with 30-40 psi every set did it. ‍♂️

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Trucks with uncovered bed the air spins in the bed toward the back of the cab making a vortex that cause the majority of air over cab flow out over the tailgate. They did testing with a Ram that had the V10 over a decade ago. The highest top speed was actually tail gate up verse gate down/removed or a bed cap. The results we very close with tailgate and cap to the point that they estimate the difference in top speed was the weight of the cap, but both were numerically faster than tail gate open / down or net. However they did not test with a tonuea cover.
My opinion is tonuea cover provides the best of all, minimal weight, aerodynamics (aka fuel mileage) and keeps your gear covered and bed "dry". Look at the guys that try to hyper mile their trucks they don't tend to use a full cap, but they do cover the bed and then boat tail the back of the truck. There supposedly even commercially available aerodynamic cab/bed covers.

The tire were running over inflated. I think you need to have your TPMS checked as you should not have had that happen at 35 psi. As you do not even get that level of center wear in a small front wheel drive rear tire over inflated and your truck is a lot heavier in the rear then a little sedan.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I run about two pounds less in the rear as long as I have next to nothing in in the bed. Some of the manufacturers recommendations you see is to cover their own butt for tire safety . Some people don't realize that when you have the air pressure set for good wear and ride with an empty bed is not enough air to run with a load in the bed . In most cases the manufactures air pressure recommendation is to make sure their tire is not going to fail when loaded, not concerned with your ride only protecting their self and gas mileage. I run enough in the front to wear , handle and ride good and the rear a couple lbs less . Tires have never been an issue in 50 years of playing with trucks . Rotating like they should be or even more often . More often if they are mud tires , maintaining the correct air pressure will make them last as long as possible . Over inflation does you no good.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Trucks with uncovered bed the air spins in the bed toward the back of the cab making a vortex that cause the majority of air over cab flow out over the tailgate. They did testing with a Ram that had the V10 over a decade ago. The highest top speed was actually tail gate up verse gate down/removed or a bed cap. The results we very close with tailgate and cap to the point that they estimate the difference in top speed was the weight of the cap, but both were numerically faster than tail gate open / down or net. However they did not test with a tonuea cover.
My opinion is tonuea cover provides the best of all, minimal weight, aerodynamics (aka fuel mileage) and keeps your gear covered and bed "dry". Look at the guys that try to hyper mile their trucks they don't tend to use a full cap, but they do cover the bed and then boat tail the back of the truck. There supposedly even commercially available aerodynamic cab/bed covers.

The tire were running over inflated. I think you need to have your TPMS checked as you should not have had that happen at 35 psi. As you do not even get that level of center wear in a small front wheel drive rear tire over inflated and your truck is a lot heavier in the rear then a little sedan.
I don't doubt that. A couple of years ago I was at work. It had rained during the day & froze that night. When I left for home I scraped the windows and started driving about 1/4 mile to the highway. My soft tonneau was covered with a sheet of ice (I didn't want to chance ripping the cover trying to brake it off). When I got onto the highway going 65 mph I looked into the rear view mirror & saw a vortex of ice chips spinning in place as I drove. It slowly threw the chips and lasted for about 2 miles before it was gone

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Must be a canuck thing. I'll stick to real-life, first hand experience of driving pick-up trucks for the last 35+ years. :893MrT-thumb:

View attachment 238989
Nothing to do with being Canadian. That's just an ignorant comment. Tire manufacturers i listed are international, not Canadian. You are just too arrogant to accept facts. Done with you. Good day.

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So, what would you have us do, blindly follow the direction of “for profit” corporations, and totally ignore our own personal experiences?????

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

Back when I had my Dakota and hung out in the Dak forums, someone posted a link to wind tunnel testing that had been done with the Dakota. Those tests showed exactly as you described, with tonneau being the best solution for mileage and overall airflow. Second best was tailgate installed and up, third was tailgate down or removed, and in last place the toppers.

The biggest disrupter of airflow and generator of drag? Those “Dumbo” mirrors hanging on the sides!

Best,
DG

michael babb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L diesel
I have a 2016 Tradesman 3500. The OEM Firestones were shot at 16,000 miles. Second set are getting replaced Hankook RF 11 today with 26,800 miles on them. Going to try Toyo Open Country ATII. My experience with the same wear pattern you show is that I live on a hill and the pavement almost always has either dirt or sand for ice control and the empty pick up bed allows the tires to spin a little, no matter how carefully you accelerate. As I do not want to ever see overlarge holes in the rims from numerous mount and dismounts, I too do not rotate them as often as is recommended. I run 50 lbs since this truck will shake your teeth out during the winter when I am not towing anything and use 70 and 80 when I haul. The tailgate has absolutely no effect on the tire wear.

Dcsjoc112

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.9
So oem tires at 30k miles, some would say that is all the are really good for? What say you to the cause of this? Two back tires bald in center, 2 front tires still like new. No I didn't rotate, I always planned on getting new tires just didnt care like I should have, but admittedly took too long to do it. Now they are worthless on craigslist, I will keep them for spares or yard art.

I always thought it was freeway driving with tailgate up putting downforce on them. The book says over inflation, but I never was above 35psi like ever! You have to be at 35psi to clear the TPMS so how could that be it? Could be alignment maybe? Interesting, my tire guy said it was the shocks, mind you the shocks only have 30k miles on them as well. He said he could tell by the way the wear was bumpy, and he has been doing this for 8 years, I think it is possible, but I think the tailgate is to blame, hard to say, convince me your opinion. I put new shocks on front pretty soon after buying the truck, but never did backs, something I will be changing. I think kyb for backs, bills up front.

50968129922_79c103bf7d_c.jpg
I have a2017 1500 sport and 2 of my friends have 1500s as well. Not one of us got over 30k on the Oem wrangler tires. I put on BF Goodrich A\T KO2 and am pushing almost 60K will need new shoes shortly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye