Did bad shocks make these tires bald?

What caused this wear?

• I think downforce from the tailgate

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do not understand your concern with the tail gate?? It weighs nothing and unless yo0u have like 800 lbs stacked on it it would have No affect on tires. Also are these on a 1500, a 2500 or what?? think anything over 35 to 40 would be fine on a 1500, 2500 and 300 require more pressure with a different kind of tire. Hummm...

xtremeroller

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 & 2008
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have the factory Goodyear tires on my 2017 and keep them between 37-39 psi. They get rotated every oil change and have 41000 on them so far with not much noticeable wear on them. They have been from Florida to Tennessee multiple times with several trips through the dragon, skyway, and multiple other roads in the mountains and I don't have any complaints with them.

cash4acres

4lb pompano
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L,660ftLbs=G56 Manual 6 speed
I get 40-50,000 per set of Firestone Transforce factory take offs. And I get this MPGS!

Last edited by a moderator:

kmrtnsn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
One worn more than other; tire spin. Cupping, bar wear better front tires; lack of rotation. Center wear; over inflation.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Do not understand your concern with the tail gate?? It weighs nothing and unless yo0u have like 800 lbs stacked on it it would have No affect on tires. Also are these on a 1500, a 2500 or what?? think anything over 35 to 40 would be fine on a 1500, 2500 and 300 require more pressure with a different kind of tire. Hummm...

When you are on the freeway the air that hits the tailgate creates downforce on the tires. Those are on a 1500, and tires pressure usually always right at 35psi. Only back ties had that wear, front tires you could not see much wear at all. I think one of the posters nailed it, the bed of the truck is so light that the wear can be on the lesser patch that most hits the ground. if it was over inflation, why wouldn't the front tires show same wear? there is something else going on.

Maybe back tires should be 5psi less the fronts?

Over 50 votes for all options, nobody thinks the down force from the tailgate has any issue with it, interesting.

Spamcan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L V10
Yeah, talk to this septuagenarian (sp?) who got the grand idea of replacing my 96 B2500's tailgate hinges (they lacked the bushings). I, alone, had to use a ratchet-strap to hold the damned gate up onto one side's hinge and then wrestle the other end onto it's hinge! I'll wager that rear gate weighed 60-70 Lbs! Now, for you young whipper-snapopers that might not register as "weighs nothing" but for me, you did not want to be anywhere outside in the neighborhood to hear my explatives!

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
So oem tires at 30k miles, some would say that is all the are really good for? What say you to the cause of this? Two back tires bald in center, 2 front tires still like new. No I didn't rotate, I always planned on getting new tires just didnt care like I should have, but admittedly took too long to do it. Now they are worthless on craigslist, I will keep them for spares or yard art.

I always thought it was freeway driving with tailgate up putting downforce on them. The book says over inflation, but I never was above 35psi like ever! You have to be at 35psi to clear the TPMS so how could that be it? Could be alignment maybe? Interesting, my tire guy said it was the shocks, mind you the shocks only have 30k miles on them as well. He said he could tell by the way the wear was bumpy, and he has been doing this for 8 years, I think it is possible, but I think the tailgate is to blame, hard to say, convince me your opinion. I put new shocks on front pretty soon after buying the truck, but never did backs, something I will be changing. I think kyb for backs, bills up front.

View attachment 457065
My tires were BFG KO2’s from the dealer I only got less than 30,000 from them rotated them twice
I’m starting to have my wheels rebalanced with tire rotations and I think thats the way to go that and airing up above the door decal I’m currently using around 50psi cold which drops to about 45psi when the temps are below 50F

It looks like normal wear before getting use to keeping your foot off of it …

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
In your first PIX

was the tire on the left from on your passenger side

It looks like the the radius or curvature of the road put extra pressure on the tire
That is why it has more wear on it, than the other